Challenge #868 "wrinkles" (07/02/20) Entries CLOSED

Theme #868 for Friday 7th of February 2020 is:

wrinkles

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Feb 10, 2020 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I chose this due to a 50 second video I saw about Pablo’s new sculpt cloth brush solver. I’m hoping to try it out this weekend. Looks scarily good.

Pablo’s sculpt cloth brush on twitter

4 Likes

I watched videos on the cloth sim with specific things I liked how it was done might try it to see if I can do it on something. :grin::sweat_smile::thinking::face_with_hand_over_mouth::scream_cat::dizzy_face::no_mouth::smirk::speak_no_evil::hear_no_evil::see_no_evil::smiling_imp::drooling_face:

No one will think about what I’m going to do. :innocent:

1 Like

ive seen that video. but is it in blender 2.83 alpha build from Feb 06?

2 Likes

Okay, okay… Let’s get it on, mr.WithTheTimes :P.

I suck very much at sculpting, so I guess this challenge is perfect.

1 Like

Oh boy, I don’t even know where to start. I feel this will be a minimal effort weekend for me…

1 Like

Ha, as soon as I saw the theme my thoughts went straight to that video :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, it turns out I didn’t really look into that too far, but it seems like getting that build is tougher than I thought. @Helge says he found a binary for windows, but getting it for linux may mean a source compile, which I have never done, so may have to wait until 2.82

1 Like

this tool is so good, it’s about to colapse spacetime!

1 Like

In a way it sucks when new code can create stuff that used to take skill. In another way I desperately need this f&_$#ing tool. Anyone capable of compiling it for 64 bit mint (Ubuntu)?

3 Likes

Now now folks. Let the video just be an inspiration, not the tool of choice, if unavailable :stuck_out_tongue:

Let’s think out of the box on this one. Well, at least I’m going to try if I get my act together and finally get back in to a weekend challenge.

3 Likes

Not sure if this will be in 2.82. I think it is to late for that. The plan seems to be to get this into 2.83.

If you search for “cloth brush” on GraphicAll, there should be a Win64 and a MacOS build available.

In addition, there is a quick overview regarding building Blender for Linux. (In that case Ubuntu.)
I guess, one would still have to apply the latest diff to master before compiling. If I find the time, I’ll try this at home on my current Mint 18.3 setup.

1 Like

Christmas is saved!

If you have time it would be awesome to experiment with it, but if not I completely understand.

2 Likes

I still hope to see 2.83 before Christmas. :slight_smile:
But it would indeed be nice to try this one out right away.

1 Like

“A wrinkle on (space) time”
(WIP)

hehe, just “placeholding” it here, I have an idea, but not sure if my PC can handle it.

10 Likes

Pure
Cycles - 1000 samples plus a little denoise

Wrinkle, Wrinkle, Little Star

Just a quick and dirty one this weekend. I won’t have time over the weekend to do anything and my work was driving me crazy so I needed to just have some fun again with Blender. I’ve been busting through The Expanse this week, and, since I am in space mode, a Mars kind of idea was the easiest to punch out quickly. It’s also the first time that I used some real volume, not that one can see much of it, but it helps to add some haze.

Initially I had some serious banding from the denoiser, so I re-rendered at 1000 samples and added just a touch of the denoised image back over using Lighten blend mode. Much happier now.

13 Likes

Tried blender 2.81 today in sculpt mode and I was like. :dizzy_face::scream:
Love the new sculpting tools in sculpting mode. :drooling_face:
Elastic is awesome. :drooling_face::grin::exploding_head:

1 Like

It’s crazy guys im looking at files I made in 2013 that i never finished, looking at an entire city I made for a movie that I never rendered too it’s crazy looking at stuff you forget about untill you see it again. :grin:

2 Likes

My thoughts, exactly. I will check out this new tool, but its not something I desperately need in my life as a blender hobbyist.
I cant wait to see what all u guys will make. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, responded to your comment before I saw your render. Nice little environment idea :smiley:

2 Likes