Challenge #871 "Caustics" (28/02/20) Entries CLOSED

“Causticus”

non competing (open - reused character + a few changes in gimp), cycles (64 samples)

12 Likes

Relax room

Pure

My first experiment with LuxCoreRender. The light from the spot lamp is reflected from a round mirror under the water surface. It is then creating the caustics around the wall.

10 Likes

Whiskey Pour - Cycles 1024 samples - AI Denoiser + GIMP colour correction - Non-competing

Non-competing because I couldn’t actually get any decent looking cuastics working so not really on topic. Good fun though and quite happy with the result but messed around too much trying to get any light to pass in an interesting way through the glass, liquid and ice. Should have started with something more simple. Also a first time using fluids in blender, again more messing about not really knowing what things did. Look forward to trying again with them though!

12 Likes

Wow reminds me of Michigan in the UP!
The water there is so clear.
Great job!

“Lurking” - LuxCoreRender, 40 min on Ryzen 7 2700x + RTX 2080, rendered with caustics cache.
Open, non-competing.
Re-used the pebbles from last weeks entry, but created a new water surface with the ocean modifier.
Crab from http://threedscans.com/

15 Likes

cycles 10000 samples, simple test, non competing :slight_smile:
made with “Glass Caustics and Dispersion Shader” from @JettG_G

4 Likes

That’s making me think of Dark Crystal, only seen one episode of the new series but also watched the making of it.

Save me a marshmallow please!

Lots of non-competing for this topic. Probably because Cycles doesn’t handle caustics, only a lame blurry passthrough. Caustics are not blurry at all, they’re very sharp and bright concentrations of light due to refraction. External renderers like Lux Render or yafaray should be used…

Really struggling with camera position… Will attempt again later if time… (else accept previous please Helge!)

Wanted to put grass, shading, a signpost, etc, and remove some lines… Had to use 4 render layers just to get proper delineation in…

1 Like

Dolphin Family
Pure entry

100% fake caustics using Eevee

11 Likes

PIGLETS

All got a bit messy, so walking away!

Cheers Helge!

6 Likes

Caustic Diamond Butterfly

5 Likes

I used cycles for my competing entry.

yep, and it’s blurry and fake mere passthrough

caustics are sharp and intense concentration of refracted or reflected light:

Cycles doesn’t even attempt it, it just lets light pass through the material

I did my best under the circumstances :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is my PURE entry “HF” if it’s not too late.

5 Likes

I was wondering if someone would take the other meaning of caustic into account. I debated making a scene with leaking batteries.

Perfect timing :smiley:

Caustic Corrosion

Non-competing (open). I used Grungit addon (by @abdoubouam) for texturing the pipe in the foreground. The pipes in the background have sloppy procedural textures.

According to wikipedia caustics are a type of chemicals which are very corrosive (like caustic soda). Even though the optical meaning of the word sounded more challenging and interesting, I really couldn’t lose an opportunity to do some industrial art.

7 Likes

I’m doing it! lol. Different scene, but using BR again lol…man.

Thing is, the roof top scene in last contest–I didn’t add a watery/snowy rooftop for the contest entry, but I have added it after the fact. No caustics yet per-say in that roof top scene. But the new scene uses it a bit…I’ll cheat a bit more than the film.

Remember the Rachel interview scene in the original? That’s a great caustic piece…not doing that, but it’s awesome. Classic.

Stellar Nova
Rendered with LuxCore, and inspired by Thomas Wilfred’s Lumia light paintings. 2 hours on i9 9900k CPU BiDir (Reposted with better render)
Pure entry
https://imgur.com/a/3dtx5Kh

6 Likes