Challenge #875 "Colony" (27/03/20) Entries CLOSED

Doomed Space Colony

Pure entry, non-competing.

Cycles, 200 samples, the one image texture I made in paint.net. Used paint.net for minor post, color desaturation and title.

Haven’t played in Blender for about 3 years, but had a little time so I pulled up (ver 2.68).
Couldn’t even remember the basics, spent more time figuring out how to do stuff that was second nature in the past. Ran out of time to anything else, though it needs some more detail.

Good to see a few names from the past are still around.

3 Likes

I keep falling back to 2.79, because of small things which slow me down, really struggle to get used to A and Alt+A for selecting none… or Alt+M -> Distance for removing doubles… The list goes on and on…

I think I’ll abstain from this challenge, was going to do a timeline of all the invaders of England, entitled “The Rough History of England”, from the 798,000 years of the British Celts, then the Roman invaders, all the way through France and Germanys constant attempts to rule us, right up until our present German royal family.

But hey we are where we are and I got to do my thing for me, not for some ill based sense of belonging, so to the anti-racist racists:

An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind

(Supposedly) Gandhi

It is still Alt+M, choose By Distance.

Sometimes I have do something in 2.79, but I forgot a lot of things of that UI. 2.8 is so much nicer.

Bee-Ware

Open

Cycles, 2000 samples, filmic, a ton of hair systems

Open only because I screwed up. Without thinking I applied the hair systems, saved and closed to work on it later. I created 35,000 hair objects. No way my system could group that many or grab that many without huge lag. I checked. The autosave did not save me.

My workaround was to render the image and then create some displacement maps with Shadermap Pro and then bring back into blender as stacked images.

5 Likes

In the W menu there is the actual Remove Doubles in 2.79, but yes you can use Merge too, but not by distance (well not in mine, 2.79B)

“Research Station”
Competing, Pure, Cycles, 128 Samples, De-noising, Post-pro in Blender

I was inspired by the game Beacon, it has a great, clean, low-poly look with a really pleasing color scheme. I’m not quite there yet, but this was fun as always.

4 Likes

Hatchery

Non-competing. Cycles, postpro in GIMP.

11 Likes

Its the exact same thing. Removing doubles is a merge action. Thats why it has been joined together to be found in the most logical place.

U really should move on to 2.8x, No two ways about it. Those keymapping issues you experience are minor to all its benefits (EEVEE, FlipFluids, Intel Denoiser, etc. etc . (u also can set a 2.7x keymapping in 2.8)

Welcome back! Sounds like you could just as well install 2.82. :slight_smile:
A lot has happened in the last few years.

My main issue is I still run an old computer, Intel on board graphics, and it never liked the changes that came with 2.70 I would get strange results once I got over too many faces. So I’m stuck with 2.68 until I upgrade at some point.

1 Like

Bee colony
Pure. Cycles.

3 Likes

Reed

Pure, Cycles

5 Likes

In 2.8 “By Distance” is the “exact” same thing, just in a far more awkward place, and I’m pretty OCD about removing doubles and recalculating normals. It’s like me telling some noob that to do a mirror you have to multiply by -1 in an axis :exploding_head: (I bet you’re going to tell me we have a mirror button now! Next thing will be that Linux forums aren’t full of 1337 console jockeys just there to annoy script kiddies with archaic commands and config formats)

I do now use 2.8 almost daily, but if I want to do things mindlessly fast then I fallback to 2.79, it’s still in my muscle memory. Most of the time I’m simply modelling without rendering anyways.

I never change the keymapping, I like to use the defaults, but not sure I could put Deselect on the same key as Select All, like it was before. Anyway, simple moans which mean nothing, I can’t remember the similar moans now after upgrading from 2.49b.

Blender has come a long way, most people have even heard of it too :grin:

1 Like

I’ve bought my first “real” graphics card lately… I’ll start playing FPS games next…

1 Like

what kind of card did you get?

ASUS GEFORCE DUAL-GTX1650-4G, was £130 on Amazon

It appears good enough, even handled my grass overdose on a massive splatmapped heightmapped mesh in Godot yesterday, whereas accidentally subdividing to 12 million tri’s in Blender brought the CPU to a crunching halt for quite a while, oops!

Why what are you using? I struggled knowing what to get as most info refers to gaming ability… But, the specs read like a motherboard now, so wasn’t too bad…

1 Like

Colony
Pure, Eevee

I was trying to improve my flat color material with the convert shader to rgb and coloramp.
At least the ants achieve my personal taste.

3 Likes

- Only ones Left

This one was a lot of fun had a really great time making the shaders and texures

6 Likes

When I upgraded my computer a year and a half ago (Ryzen 7 1800x, 32 Gigs of ram), I cheaped out on the graphics card and got a 1050 Ti. Later I added an MSI rx 580, which was selling super cheap. When the 1650 came out, everyone was laughing at NVidia. Then bitwit made a video about how this was the perfect card for really old systems like my bro’s 9 year old gateway. It cost him 700$ CAD, I had added an SSD, and upgraded his ram from 6 to 12 gigs. Wow ran very poorly on it: I upgraded his video card to a 1650, now his 10 year old comp runs wow as well as mine.

1 Like