(If you cannot decide, pick up to 2.)

• rigoletto
  • fcharr
  • Stefan_Stummer
  • KickAir_8P
  • ccprince
  • Gismo_Wander

0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on: Wed, Dec 16, 2020 11:00 PM.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile:

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

This week’s winner:
ba-feature-20201222-wc

Pure Entries

rigoletto: Free

fcharr: Big Business Rise

Stefan_Stummer: Ghost light

Open Entries

KickAir_8P: Suzanne USA - Post-Pandemic Rage

(Open because this uses screenshot graphics prepared in GIMP, including from a PBS Newshour article and the US 2016 Playbook for Early Response to High-Consequence Emerging Infectious Disease Threats and Biological Incidents, this usage reasonably qualifying as fair use under United States copyright law.)

ccprince: I’m Outta Here

(It’s all new, except the person is a Mixamo model.)

Gismo_Wander: Now everything will change!

(I used the Keyborad from my entry to 897 with the double Z! so no pure…)

Non-competing Entries

Helge: Retreat and Regroup

Boder: At the Tracks

1 Like

I voted for CC prince’s “I’m Outta Here” and Gismo Wander’s “Now everything will change!”. The former I thought was a clever use of the 3D room idea to make it part of the theme; the latter made me think… hmmm, what will change? and I liked the design.

1 Like

I curious about so less participations, it the topic the reason?

For me, the reason is that Blender crashed while saving the file, somehow losing both the .blend and the .blend1 files. Even though I only lost one day of work, it would be impossible for me to finish within the deadline… especially since I had worked only one day on the entry so far.

Sorry for your loss.
That is so crazy even the files supposed to rescue work in such a case are failing, was it with a stable release?

1 Like

It was just the dumb user trying out the newest linux kernel and trying to get opencl to work on the GPU. :stuck_out_tongue:
I went back to the older version and everything is fine again.

Actually, some crashes were because I was trying some tools on sculpt mode, but they ate all my RAM somehow.

But at least I manage to salvage a neat skull. (I was going for a post-apocalyptic interpretation of the theme)

1 Like

:smiley:
Let me guess, you wanted to make a scene year 2376 after corona and the human sculls have evolution ed snap fasteners for easily changing masks. :crazy_face:
Looks good btw.

2 Likes

I was going post-apocalyptic too. Sorry you lost a day’s work. Would have liked to have seen yours. Your skull looks good. My entry wasn’t a real entry because I just sort of had this idea come to mind and I wasn’t sure if anyone would understand how it fit the theme. I was sort of experimenting and it didn’t really come together in time.

1 Like

For me I didn’t have a relevant entry other then a question mark or magic eight ball and I thought that would just be lame :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oooh, a magic eight ball, where the choices on the little floaty thing are things we could actually do again…

2 Likes

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 912 with votes from 45.5% of the voters is… Gismo_Wander!
Here’s to all the great participators…

Now everything will change!

2 Likes

Congrats Gismo_Wander, and thanks to the people who voted for mine!

This week my votes went to me and Stefan_Stummer’s Ghost light (evocative). Also enjoyed Boder’s At the Tracks (like the sky, camera angle, and that track), Helge’s Retreat and Regroup (yeoch!), Gismo_Wander’s Now everything will change! (Suzanne! Nice Droste), ccprince’s I’m Outta Here (effective isometric), Stefan_Stummer’s Ghost light (evocative), fcharr’s Big Business Rise (good point), and rigoletto’s Free (effective use of meaningful textures).

2 Likes

After entering it here and saying I thought it was going to be a bad idea… I walked away it sounded like a reasonable idea. I had a twinge of no participation remorse :slight_smile:

Congratulations are in order Gismo Wander. Is there anything you’d like to say about yours? What do the cans say? Are those things you actually have? Is that head sculpt something you had made before?

@Gismo_Wander congrats !!

when i started with blender … i probably only found this page a year later … and also this weekend challenge … after that i always watched it … but i couldn’t imagine doing it … and now I’ve even won, that’s so cool: DD

thanks to everyone and thanks for the forum

3 Likes

now i get it, no nothing of that, only the keyboard, monitor, table…the cans actually not anymore, i have a girlfriend now, it is not allowed to build anything out of trash any more…
but for this i have Blender ! so it is art again

yes of course … but at the moment only heads …
I started with that Tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTgUyEHnKso&t=6s
but now i can shape heads … who need glasses … still bad eyes …

You may of already tried this but for future reference if anyone sees this, but blender does autosave fairly regularly, albeit to a not very obvious location…

You mentioned linux, so the destination would be different for you, but on Windows, it auto-saves by default to:
C:\Users[USER]\AppData\Local\Temp
I’m unfamiliar with Linux file structures so not sure what the equivalent is.
Has saved me Hours of lost work recovering the autosaves.

2 Likes

That tmp backup can indeed be very helpful. And it has saved a lot of projects for me. (Especially weekend challenge projects as I’m usually using alpha and beta versions for these.)

Btw.: You can change the directory for these backups in Blender’s settings. That can be useful as the tmp folder might be deleted if the system reboots after a heavy crash/loss of power/hardware problem/…

3 Likes

That’s what you get with “Recover Last Session”, no?
Unfortunately, in my case that file only contained the result of me experimenting with some sculpt tools, right after I cut a big ugly hole through the middle of the sculpt (which is what caused Blender to eat all the RAM).
Also, I thought the .blend1 file which is saved next to the .blend file should be some sort of backup.

But anyway, thanks for the tip.