Challenge #918 "party like it’s 1999" (22/01/21) Entries CLOSED

Theme #918 for Friday 22th of January 2021 is:

party like it’s 1999

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Jan 25, 2021 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Flat Beat
grafik
pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Suzanne on the Y2K Shift

New Year’s Eve 1999 I was working in telecommunications, and my department was on duty in case of Y2K issues. Bosses bought us pizza.

Open entry, Cycles render, 128 samples & compositor denoising in 2.91.0. Composition is Golden Sections / Phi Grid, roughly square hue palette, 4x3 aspect ratio, 80mm focal length. Open because the collage images (most from Wikipedia) were prepped in GIMP and/or Inkscape, usage in this artwork reasonably qualifying as fair use under United States copyright law.

Edited: had a bit more time. Now lit only by the collage images and a bit of Ambient Occlusion (studio.exr no longer used), color-corrected two of the images to the hue palette, and replaced Suzanne’s eyes with spheres (to get better reflecting surfaces).

SuzanneY2K_017_packed.blend (1.5 MB)

5 Likes

Title: Party like a Prince

Calling this one Open. The Prince is pure as the driven snow but his dancing girls are recycled.

Don’t know if the series of progressions will work.
Edited, managed to get the spotlight tighter and brighter.
1 Like

"1999 - International Year of Older Persons"

non competing (pure), viewport screenshot (MatCap, Cavity, Outline, Shadow), Blender 2.92.0Beta

3 Likes

When doing viewport renders, I generally don’t use the shadow option (especially with matcaps with colored lighting) because the shadows are razor sharp and don’t match the lighting.

1 Like

Title: New Year

Pure Entry

2 Likes

Moment before a pizza delivery boys arrival, pure entry

Blender 2.91

1 Like

Dance 1999
Pure, eevee, all made in blender, used references from some videos, story below :smiley:
I really created ~200 mirror pieces for dress, after 100 i got in mind it could be done with hair perhaps but didnt try it anymore and created the other 100. Used a screenshot from that video below.

Short funny story of how inspiration goes

As i read party 1999,
my first thought came to a disco scene with dancing people…, eh to much work,
second thought “Kylie Minogue - Can’t Get You Out of My Head”,

yeah, nice move Kylie and get a screenshot at 2:50, hands up,
good, so i can make an easy shot from your belly to your knees,
my next thought “I like big butts” and this scene from “Friends” with Ross and Rachel come into my mind.

butt i need a good and easy to do background and stumbled again over Kylie,

yeah, thats nice disco backgrounds lights for inspiration.
So due to big butts i came to Jennifer Lopes and her mirror dresses

yeah, that should go nice, and easier than a fibre dress.
Meanwhile my thoughts go wander to “American Dad” and Rogers big butt!?.
Ah, what no. How i came on that. This series have to much scenes about butts.

REWIND, not that butt i want.

But how to sculpt that. I searched for “blender sculpt butt”, did not think i get an hit, butt came on this:

Curios about his inspiration i searched for WAP and get the video he refers too:
(Don’t watch it if you not allowed to drink beer, or are afraid of big butts, or dont want to hear really really explicit lyrics about… <Am i allowed to post such words here, i rather do not.>)
<Watch it before reading further ->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsm4poTWjMs

Anyway at the end of the video i regognize something, as i see the water come out under at the right door. All the background is CGI, right? Perhaps this is done in blender. So i watched it a second time.
Tried not to get distracted by those big butts, watching for corners, light and shadows, i guess all is rendered the water the girls dancing in. Even the snakes are rendered, i guess. The tiger and leo’s are mixed in.

After all placing the mirrors on that dress i just finished the front, to much work, so she is bare back and i cannot post a render from this side. :smiley:

2 Likes

Not sure if I can enter with an animation here. If so, it’s pure!

Title: 99`s mashup.

Rendered in Eevee. I modeled all the elements and used images to creates the CD and poster on the BG. Downloaded the intro from Tony Hawk`s game from youtube.

2 Likes

A Night at the Tower

Open entry 1000 samples.
Taken mainly from In the Shadows :: Underneath a Gas Lamp (franciscocharrua.com) and Life After Humans :: Eden Towers (franciscocharrua.com).

4 Likes

Time Traveler on the Y2K Shift

Not an entry, just feeling the meme. :stuck_out_tongue: Had fun getting the reflections in Bernie’s glasses.

3 Likes

Title: Bringing Slurm To The Party - It’s Highly Addictive (From Futurama)

Open Entry. (8000 - Adaptive Sampling)

Happy to see I’m not the only one with a Futurama entry.

4 Likes

You are right. A few settings (like the light direction) can be tweaked but the possibilities are quite limited. However, depending on the circumstances I’m just fine with these limitations. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Btw, the party continues right here: