Challenge #971 "Size matters - up- and downscaling, micro and macro" (28/01/22) Entries CLOSED

Theme #971 for Friday 28th of January 2022 is:

Size matters - up- and downscaling, micro and macro

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Jan 31, 2022 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Zoomed In

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

Non competing, pure

How are geometry nodes handled? Do they have to be remade, or, if they do exactly what I want for the scene, can they be reused for a pure entry?

5 Likes

Think this was discussed and consensus was: Treat GNs like assets. “Open” for re-use, “pure” for new.

1 Like

There is no specific rule for Geometry Nodes. As always, it depends on the amount and importance of the reused parts. In general, I’d say the old base rules still apply:

If you can honestly say to yourself, “Yes, I mainly used Blender to make this”, “Yes, nearly all of the foreground models are new”, “Yes, most of the models are new”, then the entry is Pure.

If this wouldn’t apply to Geometry Nodes, the same entry based on nothing but nodes, could be entered as a pure entry every week. Which isn’t how this is supposed to work. :slight_smile:

[ And if someone like @Gemn decided to do the above, we would never see someone else winning - ever again. :wink: ]

4 Likes

Thank you
cue up – hundreds of different types of meadows via geonodes

MONKE STRETCH (non competing)

MonkeyStretchFinal

Not my entry, but this is an effect I wanted to create a while ago, but I wasn’t good enough at blender yet. What do you think?

2 Likes

Looks nice. Did you try the edge split modifier? I have never used it, but I just read that you can separate the faces with it.

WIP

Quick 3 hour mockup, hope i end up completing this project, first project for me in several years after a long break from 3D :stuck_out_tongue:

Its just the concept, alot of work needed

5 Likes

I split the edges, but made the faces all separate objects so I could keyframe them separately.

1 Like

I think this will be my entry, Pure, done in about 6hrs, nothing imported.

Unless i decide to keep working on it

11 Likes

Looks like the old video adventueres games where a background is mixed with video seq of the people. :slight_smile:

The Ents? Nice pic!

I’m back! after so much time! I missed you guys!.

Pure. Many ideas passed through my mind… but then I thought: some small particles, a nice fungi (have been using those a lot), some tall grass and a big giant Sun to help them grow would work. ( There’s microbes as well, but you can’t see them cause the image is just 1080p :stuck_out_tongue: )

Natural Size

It’s also the first time i tried to make ground dirt/rocks and grass, so, yeah, im happy!
I hope you like it! <3

18 Likes

Pouring a vine glass in a vine glass because vine glass is the only vine glass in the vine glass
Screenshot 2022-01-29 001215

“Just a foot tall”

Pure

Everything was made with Blender, with a little bit of post-processing with Affinity photo, textures procedurals and a few with Quixel

Good day to you all

1 Like

Nice! But what is the purple thing?

1 Like

My Dysfunctional Hammering Station

Pure entry, all the materials are procedural. I am happy with the result, If I get bored, I will add more elements to it.

9 Likes

PURE “macro” Cycles 1024s

13 Likes

Well, ¯_(ツ)_/¯, guess I don’t really know, I haven’t got any idea in my head, I just made it like that

Ah! To me it looks like a cross between a gumdrop and a bottle of nail polish :neutral_face:

1 Like