Challenge #974 "Somewhat damaged, but …" (18/02/22) Entries CLOSED

Theme #974 for Friday 18th of February 2022 is:

Somewhat damaged, but …

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Feb 21, 2022 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Did you hear that?

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

i never understand what is the theme actually… is it some riddle ?

Actually, there is no right and no wrong. You can create and enter whatever the theme inspires you to do.

Personally, I hope to see a lot of broken things with a twist. Just replace the “…” by anything that comes to your mind. For example:

• Damaged, but still functional
  • Damaged, but beautiful
  • Damaged, but expensive
  • Damaged, but you should see the other guy…
    :wink:
5 Likes

Humm,interesting :smiley: :blender_logo_64_png:

Banzai, time to broke something :slight_smile:

Someone doing this with an mirror? :smiley:

2 Likes

Cassure d’âme

pure

6 Likes

“New (to this world) but somewhat damaged”

Pure. Wallpaper and wood texture taken from the BlenderKit Asset Library. Everything else was made today.

14 Likes

Marilyn Manson in his younger days :smiley:

3 Likes

Search and Rescue

Pure. One image texture used for the ground. Several addons that are packaged with Blender used. See details.

Updated with improvements. Thanks @Trentle and @Andreal.

Click to see Details

Blender 3.0 Cycles

– UFOs –
Debris using Cell Fracture addon
Purple tendrils using Extra Curves addon
Metaball blue blobs as a particles on the tendrils

The frame, the structure with the curved holes, is made using the Wireframe modifier then subdivided to level 4. With the two frames the scene has 2.4 million polygons. Without it has 373,000.

Hull damage with Boolean and a dented copy of the frame.

– Rocks –
Cell fracture addon and physics
Note: The fractured pieces would always explode instead of fall into a pile. Nothing I found on the web worked. I made a box to put around the fragments to contain the explosion and drop them into a pile. I moved the fragments into position over the ground and in the box but the explosion did not happen. The fragments fell as I wanted. Not sure if the box or the movement fixed it.

Rock Generator script and physics
Be sure to set Display Detail to the same level as Detail Level or you won’t see an accurate preview of the rocks. This crashed often. I made the rocks in a .blend of their own for reuse in CG projects and appended the collection to the X, I mean UFO, file.

– Trees –
Particle system with Sapling generator tree

– Ground –
A.N.T landscape addon.

– Beam –
The light beam is an area light disc shining through a sphere with principled volume shader under the UFO. A point light illuminates the light well on the bottom of the UFO.

– Materials –
Only the ground texture is an image. Others are procedural.

9 Likes

Definitely counts as ‘pure’, Looks good! Could use some tweaks to the lighting tho

1 Like

This theme reminds me of my favourite line from Lilo & Stitch.

“This is my family. I found it, all on my own. It’s little, and broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good.” :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

So the theme is Nine Inch Nails inspired? :grinning:

4 Likes

I got that NIN album… haven’t listened to it for ages though :wink:
Just read that Trent Reznor won the 2021 Oscar for the soundtrack of the Pixar film “Soul.” Here it comes full circle and we are back to 3D art :slight_smile:

I second that.
Another possibility that just came to my mind is taking a previous work, and “smash it to pieces” :slight_smile: .

To be perfectly honest, i googled for it :smiling_face: . I had some ideas cooking, but in the end found them too abstract or too specific. So I looked online for Inspirations for a worthy theme.

Thanks. Lighting does need work. What do you recommend?

I should be working but I’m upgrading some things on this picture. New rocks, some UFO hull style, UFO inside parts.

I learned a lot about tools I had little experience with. Fun and that learning is the value I get from challenges.

1 Like

Turn on smooth shading on UFOs and its elements (cockpit).
Try one global light source: sun, maybe shade of blue, play with strength (below 1), this can give you nice shadows and moon-like light.
I think every tree has the same Z axis position, randomize it a bit, try to add clumps of grass.

…and some small rock here and there, maybe small pond of water for reflecting flying UFO?

1 Like

PURE “glow sticks
Cycles 4096s. Glow stick works only after it is broken.

I have updated image a little.

12 Likes

I’m not sure what lighting you’re using, but it just looks a little flat to me. What I usually do in that situation is dim my world texture and add in a strong(ish) directional light like a sun light, or just try changing the direction of my lights. I’m not sure if you’re using eevee or cycles so it might not work very well. Just play with it a little. Also, volumes really add depth to large scenes. It looks like you might have some, but you could also try adding some mist, either with a large cube using a volume shader with low density or in compositing.

“There’s some damage to the leg, but it’s still moving. Hit it again.”

Pure - Everything was built this weekend apart from the out of focus foreground character (a 3D scan) and a dark background HDRI.

I’ve been learning Blender’s sculpting tools, and have just bought a new graphics tablet, so I started by building an abstract block of armour and using sculpt tools to damage it, then procedurally textured it so the damage cuts through the paint. Then I blocked out the rest of the tank, added a little detail by hand and with random flow, then lots of procedural shading.

9 Likes