Challenge #980 "Human Portrait" (01/04/22) Entries CLOSED

Theme #980 for Friday 1st of April 2022 is:

Human Portrait

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Apr 4, 2022 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Face on Mars

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

Like that maybe:

5 Likes

Or a “Human Portrait Construction Kit” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Oh boy :grimacing: ! The theme is a Human Portrait??! Looks like I won’t compete this week because I don’t know how make anything human-like. Plus I only have been using Blender for about 3 months. :face_exhaling: Maybe I should learn more sculpting. Can anyone recommend any sculpting tutorials? Oh well, good look for everyone who is competing. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That’s right, no more excuses! Jump in head first, and embrace failure and the inevitable nightmare fuel it spawns!

1 Like

I’m terrible at characters too. That’s why I’m making everyone else suffer with me. :slight_smile: I expect some truly awful renders this week, but we’re just here to learn.

1 Like

Thank you for saying that. Well, I am going to try to do my best. :slightly_smiling_face: @Trentle can you recommend any sculpting tutorials because, I can’t seem to find any good ones.

1 Like

Does using a human base mesh you’ve already made disqualify the “mostly new models” rule? I feel like humans might be a special case, I don’t think many people make a new human model from scratch for each project

1 Like

Angel

Open entry, blender 3 cycles. I tried to recreate the result shown below, it did not go well :wink: So I cheated, took a previously made character and spent all my time adjusting things here and there.

5 Likes

I highly recommend this one . It explains everything in great detail and in a very realistic way.

2 Likes

Face of war
Pure, eevee, all made in blender except the girl in the end, and used an tutorial for the eyes, see Previous. Used vertices paint for the head, the beaten eye is not sculpted, i tried to make the hit animated with the wave modifier, but that does not work, except this one shot. For the rest i used sculpt. Have stolen the paintly nodes from @OHG and modified them a bit.

Animations are not allowed so this frame is my entry:

face_of_war
Webp is really good compressing this, 1920x1080 resolution and 8 frames. For full open it in a new tab with rightclick.

Previous

I get a nice caricature picture of an face and started to sculpt it, and it turns out surprising good. :smiling_face:
Just keeping the sticking out characteristic makes it easier.

Maybe it helps too that i started late with relative dynatopo, which i usually use from the blockout.
Kept constant detail by just increase the resolution in the first half till i dont get enough details for the mouth.

For the end picture i used this free model and for the eyes this tutorial.
https://free3d.com/3d-model/girl-blind-703979.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0JyyWeptSA

6 Likes

Behold! a Failure-In-Progress

3 Likes

Remember, you can always cover them up with clothes, just make a bust, make an ugly human. #AwkwardBlenderRenders.

Update: Not so happy accident…

Vinyl Cover

Non-competing (Pure)

Blender 3.0, Cycles X, 4096 samples, hair system, Blender filter compositing

Not quite bad enough to make into Miss Frankenstein but nowhere near to being any good. So what do you do? You filter the poop out of it!

Gave me an old timey feel of a vinyl record cover from the 70’s.

Just played around with the filters until I got something that I liked.

7 Likes

That’s what I did with my render last week lol. It’s not unrealistic it’S sTYleliZEd

1 Like

lol. well played.

I showed my wife the picture and she asked, “is that Mick Jagger?” And I said, “no” as slow tears rolled off my face, as I hid from the ridicule from loved family members. I then showed her what it was supposed to look like and she said, “Oh!” then a lot of snickering.

2 Likes

One Hour Twenty Minutes

Pure, one skin texture image

This my first attempt to sculpt a face and almost my first attempt to sculpt anything. I gave myself 1 hour to complete it. It took 1:20.

6 Likes

Nice one :slight_smile:
It remembers me Little Richie!?

Looks like a most real paper mâché work. :slight_smile:
Nice way to do the hair.