Challenge #985 "energy storage" (06/05/22) Entries CLOSED

Theme #985 for Friday 6th of May 2022 is:

energy storage

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, May 9, 2022 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Spring Time

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Placeholder.

Man, I already made the perfect thing for this theme a few weeks ago:

ff7ca7865f887cb33b2a334fd0cb5c3ad4715f0a_2_690x388

Count this as a placeholder, I’m going to try and come up with something :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I approve the theme. This is an important one.

1 Like

Tasty energy storage

Pure, table texture from 3dtextures.me, hdri from polyhaven.com, some textures made in GIMP.

I am not happy with liquid, so probably I will tweak it a bit later.

Edit: tweaked a bit :slight_smile:
Edit_2: cans uv map fixed

16 Likes

This is clever, I like it :slight_smile: I’ve been thinking a lot about different kinds of “energy storage”, and caloric is for sure a great one :slight_smile: Yesterday the nerd in me had a moment during the sunset of “the ground stores energy from the sun during the day and releases it at night”, but I think I can do better than a pile of dirt for this challenge :thinking:

3 Likes

It reminds me of a headline I read yesterday, “Hot Stones Are More Efficient Than Fuel Cells.”
Start Blender → rock generator → …aaand done :grinning:

1 Like

You know, hot stones have been used to store energy in a lot of ancient cultures and in a lot of different ways :slight_smile: I believe there were Native American tribes that used hot rocks in their steam lodges to create steam, to avoid the dangers of open flames. And quite a few cultures have used that as a cooking method.

I’m really having to beat my inner nerd back with a stick here, but it’s true, rocks are impressively good at storing energy.

I am garbage at making rocks, but maybe you should make a cool rock for this challenge!

2 Likes

I can imagine how much one would appreciate a hot stone if one had to live in nature without modern technology. But, as you rejected the pile of dirt, I also dismissed the idea of making a rock because I thought it might be too dull to look at or, at least, not easy to draw attention to :wink:
I already started my entry yesterday and made good progress. It is a plant-based way of energy storage…
I am looking forward to seeing what you will come up with :slight_smile:

1 Like

Blue Badger

Pure entry, blender 3.1 Cycles.

8 Likes

The energy of the plain

First time participating in one of these ! Had so much fun doing this.
All assets made by me in Blender, I added trees, the characters and the little details in Photoshop so I think the entry is open.
I didn’t want to just do a storage thing so I went for something way more conceptual, but I think it still respect the theme.

21 Likes

Yo this is dope! This is an incredible piece, especially how fast you got it done, I love the lighting and the trees blend it super well :slight_smile: Congrats on an excellent first time entry!

3 Likes

Thanks man ! Yeah I got it done in a few hours only so I’m pretty happy ahah.
Can’t wait to see the other renders, there is already some good ones !

1 Like

I’m a sucker for monochrome… I love it

1 Like

I think it’s a great way of approaching a challenge. Nice to see a fresh take, getting your idea out there quickly and so not getting bogged down in the process. Makes for good execution. A little PS should be fine IMO. It might be nice to show pre-PS though so people can get an idea of how much was done and what was done in Blender.

1 Like

I like it, it looks like concept art.

2 Likes

Title: Cave Dinner

Pure. Cycles

Based on the idea of food consumption as energy storage. Still a bit more to do on it.

8 Likes

Power Toy

Pure, Cycles, hdri from polyhaven.com for lighting.

17 Likes

What hdri did you use?

WIP- not an entry

Why store energy when you can just make more?

12 Likes