Challenge #988 "Screw man" (27/05/22) Entries CLOSED

This is pure.

1 Like

Pure - Cycle render.

Had fun doing this but a pain to get floor lights working how I wanted :slight_smile:

13 Likes

“Jazz Band”

(Open because I used 3 cc0 textures. Two rust textures and a metal texture for the floor. The metal texture used for the hardware is a custom procedural one. I also used a cc0 studio lighting hdri.)

It still has a few issues, but I’m happy with the way it turned out. I used the reference @rigoletto used, as well as some others I found on the internet.

The workflow proved to be efficient. I first created assets (mostly from the bolt factory addon, but some of my own), then I was able to freely arrange them to create characters as well as props. The bolt factory had some issues though, mainly wrong scale and bad geometry at times, so it took a bit of fiddling around to get them to work well. I used a cycles bevel shader to smooth out those edges. Bevel modifier doesn’t play nice with bolt factory assets.

Oh, and if you’re also a fan of lesser known jazz bands, I recommend taking a look at two of my favorite artists:

Adrian Chevalier

Charlie Roman Castelluzzo

24 Likes

Pure Cycles render Blender 3.0
This is my first competition on this site, just for fun, my Screwman is just sitting around waiting for something to happen.

9 Likes

:smiley: Nice
Would like to see it in an “horror” lightning :slight_smile:

@Helge: Walking animation for this guy please. :smiley:

@Cazbarr: Nice, just at the first glance i thougt, why are there a pair of eyes on the body :slight_smile:

@Charles_Weaver: My favorite :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback :smiley: :smiley:. I was also wondering if I should have tried to make it look a bit more ‘horror’. If I get time this evening, I might still try to alter the lighting, deadline permitting…

Pure, Cycles

Just a collection :slight_smile:

@Helge thank you for the tip, that really saved some hours :smiley:

6 Likes

Here’s my entry - pure. I guess I was late to getting the hint about making screws, I did it from scratch with the screw modifier - then found that the boolean really did not want to subtract a screwed object from another to make a nut. I had to improvise. I used Paint to modify the box label.

6 Likes

‘Pile of Scraps’

Pure
I might tweak it some more, but I’m a little burnt out right now.

8 Likes

:notes: You’re missing that one final screw…

I’m going slightly mad… :notes:

1 Like
1 Like

Unfortunately I didn’t have time (nor a good idea) to participate this round - I had never heard or seen anything of these “Screw Man” figures before either.

Yesterday I took a friend’s cat to the vet and when I was paying the bill I found this on the counter:

This is a perfect example of coincidence :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:smiley: at first i thought, wow if he made it in time this will win.

Beware of geolocation :smiley: i found the desk:

2 Likes

Haha :slight_smile: That’s exactly where it was :stuck_out_tongue: If I had been to the vet a day earlier, I would have at least had that as an idea :slight_smile:

Location googled or from the file information? I always thought they would be lost when editing/uploading.

The vet’s location is probably written in the Exif data of the photo you took. Before uploading a picture, make sure to remove the Exif data it contains. A few years ago, I recreated the Triumph TR6 as a practice in vehicle modeling. During reference hunting, I found a photo of the car a guy took at his home, and the GPS coordinates were present in the Exif data. This means I could go to his home and take the car back with me.

I didn’t find anything in this file (which actually doesn’t mean all that much). However, based on the picture, it is relatively easy to guess the name “Kleintier Praxis Petersen”. But you still need an eagle’s eye and a mosquito’s determination to spot the piece on that desk. :slight_smile:

@Helge got his guess right.

I looked in the file for exim but there werent any.
But the top of the letters are enough to get to the name of the medial practice and it was the first hit on google.

I looked some videos over geolocation where some people track down the location of very old photos, with little hints, sun angles and horizont lines. Impressive what you can do if there is enough data from online maps and streetviews.

1 Like

Congrats @Charles_Weaver, nice render.

And sorry to all for the little complicated topic, as i modelled myself these hex nuts i was supprised how hard it is to get a reallistic one. For me i get the trick it is sometime easier to model inside out and begin with the screwing thing in the middle and model to the outer.

Bellingcat has an interesting article on tracking down the location from images from child abuse cases. I haven’t always been happy with Bellingcat’s conclusions (in other cases) and it is an unpleasant context (so I don’t advise checking it out if you are sensitive in that matter), but it is an interesting read:

On the matter of image analysis/investigation and child abuse: There is an Europol project which asks the public for help on identifying objects or locations from photos. Again, even though the photos have been heavily edited to protect the victims and only show the objects of interest, they can be unpleasant to examine. However, I think that this is a good project and it seems to have actually helped in some cases.

2 Likes