MB-Lab is a great add-on for creating characters, but it lacks some features we needed for our projects.
I started to figure out how to improve it, but soon I realized that it will be easier to rewrite everything from scratch than to implement these features directly in MB-Lab.
So me and my cousin sister started a project to create a new add-on and we called it CharMorph. I’m doing coding part and she’s doing artistic part (rigging, textures, hairstyles).
Here is first public alpha of CharMorph. In many things it’s similar to MB-Lab, but there’re some differences:
Full Rigify support with fully functional face rig
It actually supports only Rigify now and requires it to rig characters.
Realtime clothing fitting
In MB-Lab you need to finalize character before using “proxy fit” feature that allows you to make clothing match the morphed character. In CharMorph clothing is morphed in real time together with the character. Also in MB-Lab every fitted proxy creates it’s own mask modifier. CharMorph supports combining masks from multiple clothing items.
Here is demo:
Direct setting of skin and eyes color
You can even have fun with Shrek girl or Avatar girl, but in this case some artifacts may occur so it’s recommended to choose realistic skin colors.
- Material displacement instead of displacement modifier allows to update bumps in realtime too
It’s very annoying to do hair grooming every time after creating a character so we want to offer some default hairstyles.
Hair can be morphed with almost the same algorithm used for morphing clothing, but it works only with default hairstyles, not with hand-made ones. All changes made by hand will be discarded if you use “Refit hair” function.
- Characters are created at 3D cursor location, not always at world origin
- Rig is added only at finalization, because it takes quite a long time for Rigify to generate a rig and I have no idea if it’s possible to morph such rig in real time.
- Still lacking some features (Automodelling, measures) just because we don’t use them in our projects. Maybe they’ll come later.
- Currently only female character is available. Before starting to make a face rig for male character we want to hear some critics or reviews about our current face rig.
- It’s still in alpha stage. Some bugs may occur and some breaking changes can be made so future versions of CharMorph won’t be able to morph characters from this version. Alpha testers are wanted!
So here it is:
Please report any bugs to GitHub issues tracker.