Chibi Tank

That is a beautiful texture @derGoldstein.

But I think scratch/rust texture would be affected by whatever is causing the polishing of the edges. So the polishing should be on top of everything else and would limit the effect of the scratches and rust.

Here it is with some masking of the scratches in the polished areas:

But there is too much polish in the shadows near the bottom now.

Here’s the node additions for the mask:

Awesome work.

love this *****
wish I could get ideas like this :wink:
keep up the good work

this tank remember me a lot Metal Slug, congrats for your work :slight_smile:

@ derGoldstein

Thanks for the file and explain post… great stuff… going to have try some of this stuff out…

Really nice piece of work. :slight_smile:

Awww, that’s adorable. =) I love how you pulled off heavy details yet kept it so extremely stylized. Keep it up!

Excellent modeling and textures. the tread and complex metallic extrusions is superb.

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn’t think it through properly.
The first thing to figure out is what effect takes priority, and in what way it interacts with other effects. What should effect pretty much everything are the deepest scratches, but they won’t effect every area the same way. Then there’s the question of when/where rust forms, and in which areas the paint hasn’t worn off enough to let the rust spread.

There are a lot of ways to determine the order of effects, but here’s what I came up with:

The worn edges now take priority over everything but the deepest scratches. There’s a clear gap between the edge and the first areas where rust forms. My reasoning for that is that the edges get so much scuffing that rust doesn’t have time to build up before it’s worn off again. I didn’t get the exact result I was looking for, I still want to see some scratches override everything else. Right now you don’t really see a particular scratch travel between a painted area, through an edge, and back into another painted area. Also, the specularity on the painted regions requires more thought.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the deep scratches now go through to the bare metal, so that a scratch isn’t just rust, but rather it’s bare metal surrounded by rust.

I’m attaching the latest file if anyone wants to play with it. It’s a pretty convoluted material right now, I’m going to have to think creatively if I want to add a layer of dirt but still keep a “sane” material setup.

Attachments

armored8.blend (1.69 MB)

like this…please make timelapse :smiley:

Insane work!

It lovely, I love it.
The threads are just like the strap of my watch.
And thanks for sharing, I will be studying this model closely.
Regards
S

Great looking model. From the modeling, style, and textures. 5 stars.

I love it, reminds me of Conker’s Bad Fur Day, keep up the fantastic work.

Really cool style, like a realistic cartoon

Could someone please explain the driver formula (2pi((var-7.529/0.4))/-19+.02?
I know that var = the x location of the link object, but what is the -7.529/0.4 coming from?
I am guessing the -19 has to do with the number of teeth in the gear with some slight offset of .02…

I’m in LOVE with the texture work. The simplicity mixed the attention to detail you added to the model is not an easy task. A bit of rumble to the base of the tank would look so cool in the animation, you did the tread animation like a boss!

BA’s featured row sucks, many of these amazing posts are not featured and many of the noob ones are.

Really nice, love the cartoony style.

This is very cool! Great detail!