Christina's Sketchbook

2 Likes

Sandalwood grove.

1 Like

Did some more work on this.

3 Likes

3 Likes

and for the record (posted separately under Finished Artworks)

4 Likes

1 Like

An image I did a while ago:

and here’s a new take with a different mood:

3 Likes

2 Likes

(Updated image)

A small work in progress. Usual approach for interiors using photo ref - fspy, UVProject modifier. I need to spend time on details for once.

Basic geo blockout done. Still with projected textures, not a perfect fit in some places. Nishita sky. Now to refine the geo and make proper textures.

Having worked out a concept I must admit I find it pretty boring working out all the details. So much work needed, for what result? Materials are indicative only.

2 Likes

A bit of nostalgia - I haven’t hand painted (and photobashed) a texture in quite a while. Mostly just finding something online and applying a texture set with Node Wrangler these days. Or using purchased assets that are already textured. Anyway, excited to see what I can do with this simple scene. I feel that the old approach is better for motivated detail and masking layers. Maybe I just don’t understand the new approach well enough. Here’s the starting point. Used cell fracture and physics sim on a glass bottle for the debris. Haven’t done that before.

Later:

This has proved a very useful exercise. For the rubble used cell fracture but used it as a particle system instead of a physics sim like the glass. Worked better I think. More control over placement and density. Painting the bump map for the walls was fun.

2 Likes

And here’s an interesting angle - should be able to make something of this kind of inside/outside composition in future. Need to grunge up the window/sill a bit of course.

1 Like

2 Likes

3 Likes

4 Likes

Trying a simple approach to low-poly characters for big scenes. Simple model, render, paintover clothing, project result back onto model. Could pass at a distance and quick to produce multiple versions. This is proof of concept, didn’t spend much time on the painting.

2 Likes

6 Likes