Christina's Sketchbook

Some more modelling, a different mood.

Attachments

1 Like

Another take.

Attachments

Moving on to some basic texturing. Also deciding on the final colour scheme. Should decide on the shot I guess. I modelled a pot for the plant this time rather than using a simple boolean object from Vue.

Attachments

Spent a bit more time texturing - the stones along the front, tiles on the verandah. Also a bit of work on the curtains (modelling mostly).

Attachments

Great Sketchbook!!!
I very much like your concept stuff and your demonstration of process…

I very much agree with the idea that some times theres a time to just slam out ideas and leave the details for later…

I have stuff that I slammed out 20 years ago… that I just now am starting to go back and detail in…
man … am I glad I waited to do the details for later…

Anywayz… keep up the good work… it looks fantastic!

Thanks Norvman, great to know that someone is looking. I do wonder sometimes. Will be concentrating on texturing for a while, so probably no interesting stuff.

Working on the asphalt. I don’t think it looks too bad. The size of the stones varies, depending on where they lay it. The road is a bit coarser than the pavement around here. Added some leaf litter for a touch of realism.

Attachments

Pretty much done with this one. Have spent a bit of time on the asphalt lately. This house will probably appear in wider street scenes.

Attachments

Bevelled circle (the ‘bottle’ that is).

Attachments

1 Like

A few years ago I did a workshop with Leigh van der Byl on Environment Texturing. I’ve been looking at Cycles lately, having been using Vue mostly for rendering for the past couple of years. I’ve decided to give the workshop exercises another go with Cycles this time, just to see how it goes. Geo provided by Leigh. So here’s a start - just set up the scene and camera, bring in an HDRI that I rendered out of Vue, and bake a bit of AO for starters. No finesse at this stage, just blocking.

Attachments

A bit more work on this. Still just blocking. Materials are pretty basic so far, mostly diffuse (using AO bakes), a bit of bump for the street, a bit of gloss for the windows. Nothing too complex or extreme.

Attachments

Taking a few steps back - I’ll be spending some time on basic concept art. Mostly 2D. Value sketches, that kind of thing.

Attachments

Concept -> Render. I must admit I didn’t actually use Blender for this scene. Concept was pretty rough but was mainly to indicate composition.

Attachments

1 Like

Next little project is a Minoan themed image. I have a rough concept, a trial render w/o materials, and a UV unwrapped model. Now on to the texture painting.

I’m making an effort to actually do a 2D concept before diving in to the 3D. Mostly to work out the subject and composition. I’m working through a tutorial series (Intro to Environment Painting) on learn squared by Maciej Kuciara, and it’s mostly about painting concept.

Attachments

Basic textures, rendered in Cycles. Not attempting to match the concept here, just checking the texturing process.

Attachments

I could do some more work on this but I probably won’t. Rendered in Vue.

Attachments

The figure in this image is Kara, from one of JW’s tutorials.

Attachments

Still working on compostion.

Attachments

1 Like

I managed to get GoB (the Blender to ZBrush bridge) working, although I had to reinstall ZBrush because some required files were missing. Not sure how that happened. So I’m setting up a scene in Blender and sculpting the meshes in ZBrush. This isn’t actually the scene, which will be more complex, but just making sure the pipeline is working OK. I had to normal map the stone slabs from the high poly sculpt because there were a few too many million polys for Blender to handle well. Actual render here is in Vue.

Attachments

Cabin by OliverMH from BlendSwap. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

Attachments

1 Like