Christina's Sketchbook

A stone wall.

Attachments

I made a smaller stone block, a couple of which have been inserted into the wall here. Just a tad more realistic looking I’d say. Reason is the high poly model I baked the normal from was about 2 million polys, whereas for the other stones it was only about 100K. And the low poly was 10K, whereas for the larger stones it was only 1K. Not sure if the resolution of the low-poly meshes matters too much, but I’m betting that the resolution of the high-poly ones does. Even the crude sculpting with the clay tubes brush and the standard brush with a spotty alpha is giving quite a nice result at the right res.

So, I’m rendering in Vue using the low-poly meshes normal mapped with normals baked from the high-poly meshes. Standard game practice, although this is not a game, but Vue, which can handle billions of polys (equivalent) of instanced geo for trees and whatnot actually struggles in the viewport with a few million polys of actual geo. And I want the detail in the stonework.

Added another version after reworking the larger stones at higher res.

Attachments

I like your wall treatment in post #101
is that just a strait up image texture or did you some procedural on it?

Also…

thanks for the share on the Learning Squared resource…
I will have to sit down and watch some of this stuff…

The material is a purchased asset I must admit, and although I haven’t looked at the details Vue materials typically make heavy use of fractals in a node based setup similar to Blender’s node based materials. They are generally totally procedural, although texture maps can be used of course. For this one I set the bump to zero because I just wanted the colour for the wall.

Getting back into CG after quite a break. A simple study, all Blender. Ground material is Ground02 from CC0Textures.

Different ground texture, also from CC0Textures. Used weight painting to control distribution of ferns.

Trying some plugins - botaniq, real grass. Plus a nice HDRI from HDRIHaven.

Horse chestnut trees.

Duck created via Photogrammetry.

1 Like

Some time back I posted an image of a pumpkin, created via photogrammetry and retopoed in Blender. Here’s an image using the asset, and also a photoscanned mushroom.

This was largely inspired by a tutorial I’ve been doing recently, however I changed the composition more to my liking and used a couple of library assets. How many ways are there to model grass?

1 Like

Probably endless amount of ways :slight_smile: Which one did you choose for this? :slight_smile:
Also: I love that duck!:upside_down_face:

I was following this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvaGPX5Dyyw by Wayward Art Company on YouTube and he used a set of 8 radial blades of grass that were duplicated, rotated, bent, scaled etc to create a couple of dozen variations for a particle system. I have seen other tutorials that create a particle system of stems, each of which has a particle system of blades. Some methods use arrays to duplicate leaves. Lots of choices.

1 Like

Trying out various nature assets. Bare trees are MTree addon, leafed trees from Botaniq, grass from RealGrass addon, with an HDRI from HDRIHaven

2 Likes

Tree from xfrog, grass from BlenderGuru (Grass Essentials), HDRI from HDRIHaven.

1 Like

Tree Aloes

1 Like

Trying a couple of different things here - RealSky instead of an HDRI. Must remember to extend the camera far clipping distance to 100Km next time. Just some noise texture for displacement instead of using image textures for the ground. Plus setting a couple of different materials on the landscape. It’s a bit blocky even at high res. Not sure I’ll do that again. I’ve been setting up some xfrog plants for use in Blender. This bottle tree is one of them.

Have used the Rectangular (L) composition scheme here, although I guess one can also see a Steelyard.

1 Like

House on the hill.

2 Likes

Sunny garden.

Here’s a different mood. Plus I’ve learned a couple of UI tips from other posts. And discovered a really nice tutorial to do to consolidate my skills. Great stuff.

1 Like