Clay 3D Modeler

NOOO! I don’t want to use anything but Blender for my entire 3D career! Well, maybe Clay, and a little bit of 2D programs for texturing, but still…[/quote]
Why Clay then?[/quote]

The emphasis is on “maybe.” This is supposing the modeller is that good.

PS: Tried wings. I’m too used to Blender to get it. I feel like deleting it.

I hope that they will make a SGI IRIX port of Clay (If they don’t)
Wings is not made for IRIX, I downloaded it for Mac OS X but it crashed when clicked on. Plus I use IRIX for 3D work. So no Wings 3D for IRIX or Clay 3D, but Blender is on IRIX. So Blender I will go.

Wings is made with and for erlang, so whatever OS erlang is supported on wings will run just fine.

As it is now, wings3d is one of the greatest modellers out there.

I have a hard time getting wings to compile/run in linux.
Other than that it seems to be a fine modeller. I’m personally waiting for the ability to display a smoothed mesh while editing the control cage simultaenously, like blender does already. Right now they haven’t done this, I believe because of speed issues with erlang. But I’m hoping.
PS- no need to use just one modeler. If you stick with all quads theres nothing to stop you from an easy back and forth export import from wings and blender, to get the best of both worlds.
And of course, Once develpment on Blender resumes I expect there will be some new tools for the modeller, which has the advantages of fast subdivisions and of being able to display/edit the cage while seeing the smoothed surface simultaneously. If it had the ability to do edgeloops and edgrings selection, and to connect and bevel edges, resuting in nice quad subdivisions, I’d be pretty psyched. Oh, I guess a few more ‘high level’ macros/tools would be nice. But those two things would make me pretty happy. (technically four things)
To bring this back on topic: I’ve never seen Clay or even an explanation of its workflow/featurlist. Some of the models I’ve seen are nice, but I’ve seen nice models from practically any modeller. Some great Artists seem to like it, but they have their preferences just like anyone else. But if it ever does come out I’m likely to be in the ‘highly curious’ crowd, at any rate.

One of the reasons that wings dosen’t allow for the cage/sub-d view simultaneously is that it breeds bad poly-modeling habits. It’s better in the long run the mdoel with low poly’s only and to learn how the model will subdivide as you take the limit of infinite subdivisions (the way the rendering ought to be done)

another reason is that they haven’t gotten around to it yet. I’m sure the feature will coem eventually.

Why not? A map is a map and if it’s projected onto the model or uses UV doesn’t matter.

yea, i know now. but then i was still a dumbass 8) .

Nice to see that you’ve evolved from dumbass to cleverpants all in one single thread! :smiley: Gee, that’s fast! :wink:

I’m kidding! You can see that, don’t you? I hope…

Nice to see that you’ve evolved from dumbass to cleverpants all in one single thread! :smiley: Gee, that’s fast! :wink:

I’m kidding! You can see that, don’t you? I hope…[/quote]
yeah, that’s very nice since most people go the other way around :smiley:

yeah, that’s very nice since most people go the other way around :D[/quote]

That sure is pretty common! Now, while we’re at it, let’s see how many levels of nested quotes this place can handle. 8)

That sure is pretty common! Now, while we’re at it, let’s see how many levels of nested quotes this place can handle. 8)[/quote]
this is one more level :stuck_out_tongue:

That sure is pretty common! Now, while we’re at it, let’s see how many levels of nested quotes this place can handle. 8)[/quote]
this is one more level :P[/quote]
TOO MANY NESTED QUOTES,
I am not helping am I?

TOO MANY NESTED QUOTES,
I am not helping am I?[/quote]

I think I’ve seen this before! I have! I have!

Yeah, I´m using it right now in fact, but I haven´t really got the hang on it yet, so I won´t judge it yet. Only thing I can say about it is that it´s great for modeling geometrical stuff like footballs and spikeyballs and stuff like that. I´ve seen some really good things modeled in Wings and textured in Blender too.

BTW, sorry for not answering in such a long period of time.

TOO MANY NESTED QUOTES,

I think I’ve seen this before! I have! I have![/quote]

Thanks for the complements, and, to a certain extent, we are all dumbasses and playful children… :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile: 8)

There’s a pretty big possibility that you weren’t worthy for it.

And I suppose you’d be the one to teach all the script kiddies how to use it?

Stop coming back if you’re going to be an ass. Just have some common courtesy.

To answer the question less venomously, The author would probably want to release such a great program as commercial software, hence no downloads, capice?

What he probably wants is probably nothing you know anything about, capice?

TOO MANY NESTED QUOTES,

I think I’ve seen this before! I have! I have![/quote]

Thanks for the complements, and, to a certain extent, we are all dumbasses and playful children… :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile: 8)[/quote]

Try Zbrush for crying in the mud!!!. But you have to wait for the 1.5
demo first untill then lookat what it can do. http://www.pixolator.com/zbc-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=008428
I sure hope somebody here tries to implement this into blender.

fun ^v^

Exactly what do you mean by that? Are you saying I´m a pirate? If so, you are sooo wrong.