Closing threads

off-topic Chat
Chat about anything you want

Obviously not true.

So I would like a clear written statement about what we can and can’t talk about now that we have been forbidden to talk about evolution.

I would also like to know how long a topic can be discussed.

Or are the closing of threads done when the moderators just feel its “time” to do so?

good question :-?

I also would like to know the answer…

IMO, this area shouldn’t be controlled so tightly, as long as nothing illegal is involved. Let the people rant!

Censorship?..
Hmmmm
Well, it WAS going downhill on that thread.
But its SO damn frustrating after taking the time to try to explain some things and provide good links for people to read - only for them to be completely ignored and people that I was trying to help continuing to say the same old thing…“Its random I tell you - its random!!”

I am reading them. (im not the one on the “wrong” side though :slight_smile: )
Finished reading “Introduction to evolutionary biology”(36 page printout) yesterday.

Going on with transitional fossils now.

ok,

Well basicly I don’t mind any discussion on any subject aslong as it doesn’t either:

a) break the law
b) is offensive of nature

The reason theeth closed the thread is because it was going nowhere (12 pages of yes / no discussion), and we’ve seen before that these threads can be quite offensive on a personal level.

I hope this clears something up.

The same rules basicly apply all over the forum:

1. Don’t be offensive
  2. Don’t break the law
  3. Post in the correct forum

There are some other small issues like not having images in the signature etc (I may let the php code handle this,… but am not sure about the viability of that yet).

Greetings,
Timothy

p.s. I may have forgotten to tell something,… but I’m sure you can tell on your own judgement what can and what can’t be done.

Then why not delete the offensive posts instead of the topic?

imho collective punishment is not a good thing.

it depends on the way you look at it. You can chat about anything you want, but you should still stay polite and repest each others opinion. I don’t think it can be called chatting if it involves name calling and disrespect.

So I would like a clear written statement about what we can and can’t talk about now that we have been forbidden to talk about evolution.

Maybe I don’t express myself clearly, sorry for that. I only meant to say that the “evolution vs creation” topic of discus should probably be left aside for a while, to let the dust settle down. I think that if we start again on that topic so soon after the other, people will probably just continue the name calling.

It has nothing to do with how much page is written, as long as it is still a nice conversation.

“Play, but play nicely.”

Martin
PS: believe me, I enjoyed the conversation while it lasted. It was very informative for the most part, but was going downhill at the end.

The very first post on the Evolution thread was incredibly offensive to me and probably millions more if they ever read those words. The continual ‘burying the head in the sand’ of some in the progression of that thread was likewise offensive. Those same people obviously were also offended at me and a few others pointing out that they were wrong

My point is

Rule #1 - ‘don’t be offensive’ is a VERY difficult to measure. How do you go about that?

Saying “milk is good” can be offensive.

So… basicly anything can be offensive.

I think We need to lay down some ground rules about what is and is not offensive so we can refer to this thread if it happens in the future.

Ok Martin

how about this:

let it locked for a week or ten days…

then unlock it

and put a nice easy readable( yes, that way) post there with your wishes to the tone of the next posts.

I hope my beating smilies weren´t offensive?

Maybe I´ll start a flamewar of a special kind soon. (but not with rude words :smiley: :smiley: :wink: )

wicked Haunt_House

P.S.:MILK IS GOOD!

oh, almost forgot:

ANYTHING

I have no problem with arguing for the sake of arguing, but it does seem like some of the vitriol WAS getting pretty harsh. In my opinion, discussions about politics, religion, and evolution vs. creationism will never conclude satisfactorily because everyone’s positions are so hardened and passionate. Nobody is going to cave in and say “You got me. I think I will have to change my entire view of the world.” It’s just not going to happen. This fact may be subjective, but I believe it is what is responsible for the atmosphere at the tail end of those threads.

How could that (insert favorite insult here) not see my point, It’s so damn straightforward? He/She has to be some kind of bleeping bleep bleep.
Repeat argument with some variation.
Repeat insult.
Repeat argument with some variation.
etc, etc, etc.

About censorship: Kib or any of the moderators can stop a thread whenever they want for the reasons they outlined in the site rules. I think have shown a lot of patience and have applied the standard liberally. We should thank them for doing so.

“”""""""""""""""""""""""
About censorship: Kib or any of the moderators can stop a thread whenever they want for the reasons they outlined in the site rules. I think have shown a lot of patience and have applied the standard liberally. We should thank them for doing so.
“”""""""""""""""""""""""

Sure. I agree with that completly. but I wanted to know more specificly what is allowed and not.

Having the thread stopp suddenly was not something that I liked.

yep, a warning would have looked incredibly respectful.

HH

Green,

I think if the insults become unsubtle and oft repeated, the moderators have the right to step in. Maybe a strong warning next time (only one) would help.

Most people can tell if insults are just in good fun (the language skills on this forum are uniformly excellent), like some of those on the recent football threads, but when they start getting nasty, what’s the point?

theeth wrote:

Don’t think that I’m doing this to end the debate, no one is winning, no one is loosing.

You just won :stuck_out_tongue:

A warning would not have stopped that last exchange. I was venting my extreme frustration at being stonewalled, and by not getting a straight answer. Not a good thing from me.

I now believe to stop the thread was probably the right think to do given no other way to reign in the emotion(s).

Another alternative would have been better, but then what is it? I can’t think of any.

If you ask me, Joe is one of the best possibilities to practice self control.

Such things are always a doublesided relationship.

Spock, please guide me.

HH

Having the thread stopp suddenly was not something that I liked.

yep, a warning would have looked incredibly respectful.

when I see that all the “not nice stuff” is coming from one person in the thread, I usually warn them either by PM or directly on the forum (like I did in the Minority thread).

I only close thread when I think this is the only solution that will work.

Martin

sometimes a public warning has more power :smiley: