Cloth Simulation Collisions Not Working As Expected

Cloth sim is new to me. I’m hoping for help. The sewing is working and the tunic and robe seem to conform to the body correctly but as soon as Grandpa starts to move he tears right through his clothes. Not what I expected from him.

Here are the settings for Grandpa’s body:

Settings for Tunic 2 (next two images):

Settings for Robe 2:

Thanks for any help.

DG

Have you tried to bake your animation?

What does the modifier stack look like? The cloth mesh needs to have the armature modifier and it needs to be at the top of the stack, above the cloth modifier.

1 Like

Please refer to the video.

1 Like

Yes, it didn’t help. Thanks Sergey.

1 Like

An excellent video! It seems like just what I need. But it is a lot to absorb. It will take me a while to try these steps out. I’ll report back after I give these a go.
Thanks Kim!

Thanks theTony20. I originally had both garments parented to the rig but removed it because the result was the same—Grandpa ripping through. But I see from the video that Kim recommended that they need to be parented to the rig.

1 Like

This is far from perfect but I finally got it to work. I think my main problem was having my cloth sim ahead of my armature, as theTony20 suggested. But beyond that, the tutorial recommended by Kim was extremely useful in helping me better understand some of the many settings and what they do. Most importantly, it exposed me to the technique of using weight painting to restrict and limit the effect of the cloth sim to only the areas of the mesh where they are needed. I used this method on both the inner tunic and the outer robe (see my screenshot below).

For anyone interested, I didn’t use the sewing method seen in the screenshots at the beginning of this post because the seams kept pulling apart at certain points in Grandpa’s journey. Instead, I used my original garments that I made by duplicating the body mesh then scaling it outward along the normals (alt/opt s). I then deleted the head and neck to make the opening at the top. I then deleted everything from the hips downward, selected the bottom edge loop and extruded straight down to make the lower half and then subdivided it till it was close to the same density as the upper part.

For this cloth sim I started with the leather preset and, after days of experimenting (change a value, hit play and WAIT), I set the stiffness to 80, 80, 80 and 150, and the damping to 50, 50, 50 and 1.0 because I only wanted a little cloth action toward the bottom. I had to make Grandpa stop shifting his weight after around frame 130 because every little movement would send a ripple through the clothes. The robe settled down pretty well but the tunic keeps fluttering around until the last frame. I think it is fighting with the collision modifier applied to the sandals. I might try making some non-rendering boots with collision to cover the sandals entirely then remove the collision from the sandals.

Every time I manage to slog through one of these quagmires, I get a little rush of excitement and a new wave of admiration for the power of Blender… But the learning curve is excruciating. I think I’ll go lie down now.

3 Likes

As a bit of a shameless plug, here’s another video to consider for cloth simulation.

That aside, any simulation in Blender is far from easy and while ‘tests’ can seem OK, things can still fall apart in a final implementation.

Also, keep in mind, much of this may now be short term only (next year or so) as simulation via geometry nodes is meant to replace cloth and hair sim.

1 Like

Thanks thetony20, for your excellent tutorial. You have taught me some very clever ways to overcome some limitations with cloth sims.

Speaking of tutorials, I found one that helped me eliminate the persistent fluttering of the cloth after the mesh stopped moving. Others might find it helpful too.

The links below are all YouTube accounts and posts of the same person.
I think it will be helpful in relation to clothing simulation. :slightly_smiling_face:

Pon’s Tinkering Garage - YouTube

2 Likes

You don’t need to use Armature Modifier for the cloth. If else, you shouldn’t use Armature Modifier, unless necessary.

I made these dresses, and made them move along with the models, without a single Armature Modifier. Because the thing is, Armature Modifier is kind of a heavy modifier.

I saw the setting you’re using, and to make it work properly with body movement, change the following:

1. Remove the Collision Physics from the cloth object (this probably is the culprit, the collisions don’t reach with each other, so when you have collision on both the cloth and the body, they don’t affect one another).
  2. Speed Multiplier: 0.4 to 0.5
  3. Object Collision: 5mm (if your model is 1:1 scale)
  4. Self Collision: 2.5mm (if your model is 1:1 scale)
  5. On the Grandpa body, set the Thickness Outer to be its lowest value, which is 0.001.

Let me know if it works.

2 Likes

Thank you Vincentius,

I was able to get it working from the help provided by thetony20 and Kim. In my case, I need the armature because I have animated Grandpa walking while carrying a large pot.

Thank you Kim,

That is a fascinating course. I watched the first four parts (whew). I still plan to watch the last one. A lot can be learned about tailoring and about Blender.

3 Likes