A Tailor's Approach to Cloth Sewing in Blender - Full Course

Hi there! Over a month ago I posted this on the Finished Artwork category, and it seems to have caught and sparked many interests of my fellow Blender users. So I decided to make the full course explaining the full processes to make a fully cloth-simulation based piece of clothing.

And here I am glad to share with you that I’ve finished the entire course (divided into 5 parts), my first post on Tutorial category, and now all are available for free.

Here’s the opening, with some caveat, that the course, true to its name, is longer than a tutorial that you may expect.

Part 1 - Introduction

Part 2 - Measurements and Measuring

Part 3 - Drafting and Cutting

Part 4 - Assembly and Styling

Part 5 - Finishing and Shading

Have any questions? If you’re interested, I have created Blender Digital Tailors server on Discord, so that we can communicate in a better place than the comments section. You can join us here.

13 Likes

I just stumbled over this thread via google and it’s a shame that nobody commented here so far.

Admittedly, I skimmed quite a bit through the videos, as 8 hours are quite the time investment, but I love your methodological approach and your explanations and I think it’s of great value both as a follow along and to learn the tailoring aspect of cloth making to improve one’s own workflow, in the same sense as e.g. one does not need to understand geology to sculpt a great landscape, but understanding erosion patterns helps to sculpt it realistically.

Great job!

3 Likes

Hey I’m glad that you did find this thread. I hope it helps you in your own journey.

And yeah, even though no one commented here so far (until now), but I figured that many people who watched the series on Youtube came from this website, and they commented there directly instead.

As for the skimming bit (or play it on 2x playback speed), even I would do the same though should I have to watch 8 hours worth material, so there’s no shame in it. And thanks! It’s great that someone get what I intended the videos to be.

2 Likes

Hello! I have this series on my radar but I haven’t had the time to dive into it yet (recent paternity keeps me away from anything else), it looks extremely interesting. Thanks a lot for taking the time to record it and making it available for free!
Cheers!

1 Like

Hi, I’m glad it’s on your radar! I hope it will help you as much as it has helped me understanding Blender’s cloth simulation better. And you’re welcome!