Sonoya Walk Cycle - ATATSC Course Animated

So here’s another walk cycle animation, which is kind of boring, but hey the shirt looks great though. It’s kind of odd to see how clothes are such an integral part of 2D animation, but it just seems to be lost in translation when it’s coming to 3D animation.

Personally, I’ve been longing to see it happen when clothes in 3D animation look like the ones we’d normally see in 2D animation, and though it’s still in a walk cycle animation, here finally I can make it happen myself.

And here’s the shirt in a random pose:

Anyway I hope you like it, and if you’re interested to learn more about physics-based cloth making in Blender, I’ve created an entire thread for this very purpose over the Tutorials category, which you can find here. And if you want to just ask around and all, I also invite you to join my Discord server here.

Thanks!

Wow, I’m impressed. And actually a bit surprised you can get this quality out of Blender.
Then again, I’ve never tried anything like this (other than like 10 years ago, when Blender’s cloth engine was still in a much worse shape).
As far as Blender’s cloth engine in it’s current state goes, all I ever tried was sewing together a (realworld-) dress pattern statically.
Worked out fairly well, but main painpoint is how Blender’s sewing-spring-forces aren’t normalized with respect to edge length.
So if their length differs in the pre-sim configuratuion (it almost has to, for obvious topological reasons), some may finish shrinking earlier than others, which easily leads to nasty sideeffects, resulting in an unresolvable mess.

While I nowadays would probably resort to using Houdini for this kind of thing, it’s nice to see you could make it work so cleanly (animated!) in Blender.

greetings, Kologe

1 Like

Thanks! Anyway 10 years is a long time ago, so I can’t say much it, but I believe it’s definitely worse back then. However I started using Blender with version 2.8, and though it’s now version 3.2, they don’t seem to change much at all in the Cloth Physics area.

I totally see the length difference problem you mentioned, and probably that’s the biggest point I preached about in my ATATSC course, the key is a clean topology of the clothes itself. Should I have a messy topologized piece of clothes to start with, I’m not sure that I would get such a clean result like the one shown above.

Anyway I guess you should definitely see my course thread if you’re interested in making something like this in Blender.