Collaboration for Open World Action Adventure game

Hello everyone . I’ve been thinking about posting an offer for collaboration on the Blender game project I’m working on, so I thought I’d post here.

The project I’m working on is called Metalstone, and it’s actually a comic / animated series project,
but I’ve also recently started working on a game engine prototype for it as well, and I think having the characters, and the world able to be explored in a virtual setting would help greatly with the writing of the series itself.

r/UPBGE - Collaboration on an Open World Adventure Game

The game will be an Action Adventure in an Open World setting for the most part,
with a focus on story, exploration, and acquiring new abilities through skills development
and skill trees.
(for the sake of brevity I won’t discuss what the story is about here,
but if this piques your interest then please message me and I can give details)

What I’m looking for in a collaborator,
is someone who knows a good bit about coding in the Blender game engine.
My strength is art, ideas and conception, design, planning out concepts and mechanics etc.
and I have been trying to take on this endeavor by myself, but I think it would help greatly to have someone more experienced on the technical side who is willing to collaborate on the project, willing to help with game logic and coding, and help with any questions that may come up when running into problems on my end of development, so that I can also gain more skills in game development along the way.

Some things that I know I could use help with specifically are:
- Stitching together pre-made animations and their logic so that they
flow together seamlessly in the game
- Integrating of new abilities, moves, and mechanics into the game logic
- Statistical mechanics and balancing
- Game playtesting

This whole thing is a passion project, so I’m not in a position to offer payment.
This is simply for those who are willing to collaborate on an interesting project and put
their skills to good use, and work together to create something great out of it.
(Multiple collaborators are welcome!)

If you are interested then please email me: [email protected]

(post deleted by author)

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

i have this project (not dead , on pause, will resume soon)

Like you, i came with the idea of collaboration . But the reality i learnt is : nobody will make the game for you.

So i’m afraid you gonna have to create you game prototype first. Show it, then maybe some motivated people are going to show up to join your project (i only know 1 person @Fred_K.S having succeed setting up a little team … his project is going to be released #soon) … but at that point, when it gonna happen, probably you won’t gonna see the real adding value they bring on the table :joy:

look at Jobs offer on the forum, you can post it there. https://blenderartists.org/c/jobs/paid-work/53
Otherwise, i recommend to find someone in the UE/Unity community.

1 Like

I understand no one will “make the game for me” and that’s not what I’m asking.
I’m doing development on this as well. But I can’t do it alone, that’s simply unreasonable given the scope of this project and other creative projects I have to take care of. And of course, I’m in no position to be able to pay people, but revenue will be shared upon eventual release of the game(s). I’m just going to have more people being critical of my posts if I post this in a forum for paid jobs.
And I’m making it in UPBGE, that’s why I came here to post in the Blender forum. I don’t see any reason to have to look to people that work with another game engine when there’s already plenty of people that work with UPBGE

I can’t do it alone

unreasonable given the scope of this project

other creative projects I have to take care of

of course , I’m in no position to be able to pay people

4 massive red flags. Just saying …

but revenue will be shared upon eventual release of the game(s)

no one is going to work hundreds of hours to share maybe … 50$-500$ ?

I’m saying to you all this because i was in the exact situation 4 years ago. I just didn’t understood why people were not willing to join my 'revolutionary" project. I knew absolutely nothing about blender or modeling … then i learnt lot of stuff … just for the pleasure to create a game by myself. And it’s the primary reason for someone who uses upbge and is not a pro game developer.

In other words, if you are not ready to carry your project alone in the first place or willing to pay staff at market price (which is just unaffordable) … it’s just total lost cause, no one serious,reliable,consistent is going to join your project.

You just have to wonder if you want to spend your free time in making the game.

4 Likes

Well I can have you tell me it’s a lost cause but you’re not really building anyone up by saying that. The story series itself is a project that is going to happen, and I’m very determined to work on this game engine to assist the project’s development. I’ve already found a couple people who are willing to help with the project. As a matter of fact, this is the Game Engine - Team Projects forum. Not the Jobs forum.
People that make comments like this only serve to try to drive potential collaborators away from joining, all because “it didn’t work” for them, so it must not be able to work at all. That is a very limiting mindset.

ok, my bad. I wish you success in your project. Open a new topic and display your progress like I did. We can help you if you and your team have questions :slight_smile:

1 Like

The hard truth about getting help with passion projects is that other people don’t share your passion, so you have to motivate them to help you- and 99.9% of the time that means paying them up front. Out of your own pocket. Consider it an investment- if you want this project to make money eventually, you’re going to have to put money into it first. This is why passion projects are so rarely completed- it takes years of financial planning and saving or successful crowdfunding (rare) to get help with these things. Of course, you can always do it yourself and not worry about money, but that comes with its own challenges, as you know :wink:

I’m not trying to discourage you, of course. But there’s more to completing a passion project than the fun part. The unfun part is the finances and project management, but it still has to happen

1 Like

yes agree, it’s all the idea behind trade : i give you money to do it because it will cost me waaaay much money/time by doing it by myself. And only promising to split “gains” is just showing that you are not willing to risk money in a project you are not really motivated in … but expecting the collaborator to take the risk by investing all his money/time into your project.

1 Like

@Siege_2311

There’s some people like @Daedalus_MDW that made a full generic template. Maybe he can help you implement

i thought about replying to this, but ive attempted the whole collab thing, and it didnt work out. being the leader to a project and managing those you work with is something big to consider. a project needs direction and organization. im kinda on a hiatus right now so my help i can offer is limited.

in the processes of working on my own passion project, i began to code a versatile code platform to accommodate the needs of my massive project (open world). the result was what i call “game3”, what i like to think of as the end-all-be-all of open world toolsets. with in mind that it was originally for personal use, ive only now just begun to really work on making it more friendly to use for others.

the project git: https://gitlab.com/DaedalusMDW/bge_game3_core
a wip demo: https://github.com/DaedalusMDW/bge-game3-demo/releases/tag/3.0-alpha2

note, i only use upbge 0.2.0, and the limitations of upbge are many, this WILL be an uphill climb

2 Likes

you were correctly told in the first messages - if you want to attract volunteers, show a working prototype of the game here - even without textures on the materials - so that people can see and understand the essence of the game mechanics, then perhaps you will assemble a team to work on the game, the second option is to announce a reward for participation, then you will have to select candidates for future work, the third option is to make a simple a 2d platformer game, or something else simple, and get money from this game and come back to work on your ambitious project

actually, id say a working prototype should be a goal for the team. theres more to a team then mashing everyones independent work together. a solid plan and goal needs to be presented and a pipeline established.

1 Like

also, i think that any team should meet around a common vision even if it doesn’t seems obvious. It helps to stick the team together. For example, people who play exclusively racing games would have more chance to team up than a group of people who don’t share same game type.

And it goes the same when it comes to choose a genre : medieval, futuristic , urban … etc …

yes, that’s right, but when a person offers to join a project, he must show something - either these are good models or painted locations, or he shows that he is a cool animator who will create any animations for the project, or he is a programmer who will assemble any assembly of the game. I often see on other sites how people are trying to start a project - usually the project starts if something already exists - for example, a prototype of a game, if it’s just an idea - it’s not needed by anyone, our world is like that, the idea is dead without the slightest implementation

1 Like

well, will we ever see him again ?

The prototype is currently in the works, however I’ll make sure to having something to show for it before posting again

1 Like

we will all be waiting for a prototype - or at least a video, I just wish you success in creating a prototype and a future project

1 Like

Cannot wait to see this… I love open world games. :smiley:

Good luck to you. I know how hard and long it can take when running solo. I am in that same boat. Although I have been offering payment for some good writing… still nothing in a few months. I started all this with the intent to make games… Spent thousands on software, addons, props and clothing… Started to learn to create the things I was buying to save some money…

As you know, all that takes time so to learn gaming software along with all the other areas I needed to learn and working FT, I cannot do it alone. At least not with any real speed. Hell, I have one little short I made in the beginning and nothing since. That was almost 2 years now.

Now that I am getting a handle on the creation end, I am thinking of getting Unreal again and start learning to make simple games. I have a program called iClone… I can use my game controller to move and create animations from that. Almost like having my characters in a game already… in a way. LOL.

Don’t let anyone here discourage you. There are many life stories of people that started out with a friend or two and built some wonderful animations out of their garage before they made it. Like me, you need to find those right friends. This is a big world, there may not be many willing but I am sure you will find one or two… Eventually. At least that is what I am hoping for. LOL.

I wish you all the best and I am really looking forward to a peek at your game.

EDIT: Always remember… those willing to donate time… credit in a successful production can be very valuable. It may be a gamble, but sometimes the long shot pays off and long shots pay off BIG! :smiley:

2 Likes