Collection Manager Feedback

That’s actually a problem.
Almost nobody knows how to use QCD system properly, because it is intended for pretty much complex modeling tasks.
It is almost impossible to explain what problem QCD system solves to a user who never faced such problems, especially if to take into account that it solves speed of access problem.
Dynamic context processing is a very specific task, the entry threshold is too high for the need to use such system. Static context processing, like scene setup, is much more understandable because more common, including in industry standards.

I constantly thinking about making such video, about nice non-NDA examples, but, unfortunately, I have too strong language barrier. Otherwise I would have made it a long time ago.

I don’t think a video needs to explain that. What I think is needed from a video right now is more of an operator’s manual, not a how-to tutorial. A basic “This is what features the Collection Manager has and how to access them.” video can be done by almost anyone, and then the users can decide how they want to use them.

Of course a video showing a specific workflow would be very useful as well. If you’re not comfortable speaking the dialog maybe try having it written on screen instead of spoken. I’d be happy to review the dialog if you want, but your English is quite understandable as it is.

1 Like

Not exactly what you’re asking for but it was mentioned in Blender Today RECAP #095. :grin:

Thank you for this)
I will try to handle this task after “Topology Works” animation project.

Sure, anytime.

Update.

• Fixed the Filter by QCD slots button in the Collection Manager not being hidden when QCD disabled.
  • Updated QCD checkboxes in the preferences to be more descriptive.
  • Made QCD slot tooltips show the slot number and the name of the collection it represents.
  • Added an icon to show that you are copying and swapping a set of RTOs at the same time.
  • Made QCD slots persist through Blender’s reload scripts operator.
  • Fixed problems with undo/redo and QCD widgets not updating correctly.
  • Fixed a small problem with unregistering.
  • General improvement and stabilization of the internal QCD code structure.

Collection_Manager_v2_4_9.zip (31.6 KB)

2 Likes

Update.

• Small code cleanup.
  • Prevent invalid history, copy/swap buffer, and Phantom Mode states.
  • Disabled QCD fields and Re-numerate operator when in Phantom Mode.
  • Update Collection Manager move operator with improvements from QCD. (Shows passive objects as well as active objects now and allows continuous movement through excluded collections.)
  • Fixed Re-numerate QCD Slots error.
    Collection_Manager_v2_5_1.zip (32.5 KB)

Update:
Fix crash of blender when loading templates.
Collection_Manager_v2_5_2.zip (32.5 KB)

Update.

• Make QCD 3D View header widget update immediately after changing View Layers.
  • Shorten and standardize tooltips.
  • Add label to RTO filter popover panel.

Collection_Manager_v2_5_4.zip (32.6 KB)

1 Like

One small request I don’t know it possible or not. When you in isolation mode with multiple objects. Object doesn’t move to other collection.

Hi @srikanth0126,
Not exactly sure what you mean here. When you say isolation mode do you mean Local View or are you referring to isolating one of the collection’s Restriction Toggles? Also, what version are you using, because when I tried to move objects to another collection while in Local View or with Restriction Toggles isolated it worked fine.

If you are talking about Local View then it was fixed recently. See https://developer.blender.org/T74931.

Meanwhile, an interesting revision.
https://developer.blender.org/D7016

Good catch @1D_Inc, thanks for mentioning this. It seems we’ll need to account for the new behavior.
And now we should also ask if we want to support this as well, and if so, what hotkey to give it.

I don’t think we will need to take into account such changes to defaults, because CM provides determined control cycle, according to collections action map.
However, it is nice to see such changes to defaults.
It is the first step to keeping an actual scene setup during collection management process for a long time.

Exactly this what I’m talking. And thank you.

No problem.

1 Like

I need to take it into account because it messes up some of our actions on the exclude RTO, which I now have to fix. Plus I like the ability to completely enable or disable nested collections, and if we want to support this new behavior as well I’ll also need to apply it to the other RTOs.

Now I don’t mind having this kind of functionality added, but I wish it wasn’t set as the default behavior, not to mention the author states:

Disadvantages:

• in Collection trees of 3 and more levels it is possible to change the state in a way that is no longer obvious.

Any chances of the Scene Collection being shown in the Collections Manager?, also be good if can get a option so can set where new objects get put into a particular collection, say set the Scene Collection has default import location?

Many times I’ve adjusted something in a collection, imported something and that got put into the selected object collection I was doing something in, hope this makes sense.

1 Like

Yes this makes sense.

Sorry, I can see why you’d want this, but as far as I know I can’t set where objects are imported to.

I’ve thought about it, but because it’s special and not like the others, I haven’t added any support for it yet.
I’ll look into it further.

1 Like