Collection Manager Feedback

Awesome thanks for replying.

1 Like

Aw, okay)

As far as I remember, we already have it, as Toggle nested. Am I right?

Well, yes, it happens because of lack of design.
Core commits are almost always limited to bug fixes, and since CM is an addon, it has design power)

I also got the same question from our team)
The problem of a Scene Colection is that it have no controls (like RTOs) to be represented in the addon.
So, the idea of Global RTOs was the attempt to design Scene Collection’s RTOs - what might the RTOs for a collection containing any other collection look like. That’s why those RTOs provide global actions.

If to take into account sending/viewing options, there are no critical problems with Scene Collection to solve, since it is just a single root collection. It is hard to mess with it, to send objects to a Scene Collection it is needed to send objects to 1st level collection and just delete that collection.
A bit longer than could be, but still relevant and available by default.

Toggle nested provided the exclude RTO’s old default behavior for all RTOs. Now that the default behavior for the exclude RTO has changed I’ll need to update it’s toggle nested function (all the other RTOs’ toggle nested functions are not affected by this).

1 Like

Indeed… Now I got it, thanks)
So it should be a separate version of CM, that takes into account such changes?
The problem is that I need edit mode QCD keys to demonstrate complete concept in my next video.
Can we prioritize edit mode QCD keys development to have it for 2.82 official for that purposes?

Not exactly sure what you’re referring to here, but if you mean a separate addon I don’t think there’s any need for that. If you’re talking about the exclude behavior and different versions of blender I can support multiple blender versions if needed. If you’re talking about the scene collection, I’m hopeful I can find a way to nicely support it. And if you want a toggle nested/restore feature I’m sure we can find a way to add that too.

Sure, I can prioritize edit mode QCD. I’m hoping you mean for 2.83, because 2.82 was released in February. :slight_smile:

We are pretty much satisfied with current realization)
We also didn’t faced any critical issues with handling Scene Collection.
I will check it once again.

I don’t know what version this commit will be applied, Blender versioning became pretty messy)

That sounds awesome =)
But can’t imagine how tricky it can be.

Also, I am sorry, but I am going to come out with a proper explanation video.
There are too many systems and issues to overview and concepts behind realization to explain.
I just have to make it deep.

:grinning:

Yeah, it’s not critical to support it, but every so often I run into a situation where the lack of support is annoying, so I’ll see what I can do to properly support it.

Yeah, it’s looking like it.

How hard it will be depends on what I have to do for the new behavior, but there are ways to do it.

Don’t be sorry, any videos of the Collection Manager are good videos :slight_smile:

Okay. It will take time, but I will try to make the best one it deserves.

1 Like

Update.

• Fix expanded collections and QCD slots/overrides not being updated properly on collection name change. This resulted in treeview sublevels collapsing and QCD slots re-numerating on some name updates.
  • Refactor code to simplify and reduce duplication.
  • Remove history from global invert function (not needed).
  • Preserve edit mode when switching between QCD slots. Note: the active object may change when toggling slots.
  • Add QCD edit mode hotkeys for all objects that have edit mode except fonts.
  • Add preference to enable/disable QCD edit mode hotkeys.

Collection_Manager_v2_6_0.zip (33.6 KB)

Update.

• Set QCD edit mode hotkeys preference to off by default.
  • Add mesh select mode menu to ` (tilde) key. This hotkey is controlled by the QCD edit mode hotkeys preference.
  • Add support for the Scene Collection.
    Collection_Manager_v2_7_2.zip (34.0 KB)

@Juso3D

Let me know what you think of the latest update. :slight_smile:

Can someone explain how to use QCD? what is it mean? what is it use for? What does it manage? it add a lot of confusion. It doesn’t do any good if people don’t understand what it does.

1 Like

According to the tooltips, QCD means Quick Content Display. It seems that each slot is bound to a collection.
I guess it’s a similar concept to the one that were in Blender 2.7x

You can get some informations about the QCD features if you hover checkboxes (in the addon preferences) and over the slots.

tt_54

1 Like

Hi @Imaginer

If you allow me, there are a few ideas (for the add-on preferences window) that I wanted to share with you. You can have a look at the (free) SpeedRetopo addon. It features several “tabs” in its addon preferences:

Annotation 2020-04-14 194623

Annotation 2020-04-14 202424

Annotation 2020-04-14 202448

As you noticed, some Blender users (Jakroval and I first) didn’t really know how to use the QCD slots at first try. I tend to think that there is a need for more informations about them.

@Jakroval, from my tests, here is the meaning of the QCD icons:

2 = Collection excluded from View Layer
3 = Empty slot (no collection)
1 = The Collection is included in the View Layer
4 = One or several objects are selected in the collection
5 = Several objects (in different collections) are selected

@Imaginer: Maybe you could add (in an “information” tab, in the add-on preferences) some explanations about QCD icons (maybe with these small png images) ?
I hope that Python allows addon developers to add small png images in the addons preferences window

1 Like

Thank for explaining. It is beyond simple using, and it is difficult to understand.

2 Likes

@Imaginer.

I have another feature request:
Could it be possible to let the user double-click on the small QCD icons to select all objects inside the collection ?

Annotation 2020-04-14 222246

Hi @Jakroval, @xan2622
As xan2622 said, QCD is basically the system blender 2.7x used instead of collections. It allows you to setup objects and references so that you can switch between them easily and compare things. It’s just another way of interacting with objects and collections, but based more on hotkeys and it’s faster to use, but does take some setup.

@xan2622: You’ve got almost all the symbols correct, but you’re a little off on the last two.
4 = The active object is in this collection
5 = There are 1 or more selected objects in this collection, but not the active object

I’m planning to update the manual with information on QCD and the other changes I’ve made since 2.82, and @1D_Inc is planning on making a video to explain how to use it.
Adding an information tab sounds alright, but because my addon is included directly in blender I need to follow their schedule, so if I add in an information tab it won’t make it into 2.83 – it can be in 2.90 though.

Possibly. I’ll keep it in mind.

1 Like

Update.

• Fix local RTO history getting when renaming collections.
  • Fix the invert function not working properly for the exclude RTO.
  • Update the Toggle Nested function to account for the new changes made to exclude in D7016.
  • Clear RTO history on destructive actions.

Collection_Manager_v2_7_8.zip (34.3 KB)

1 Like

Oooo works a treat, thanks for the update, much appreciated!

The other thing I’ve notice is, one can’t move Collections to one another in the manager, only can create or delete, not sure if this is intended (keep it simple?).

Also the X on the search doesn’t clear the input words (one has to manually delete it or close and reopen the manager).

Cheers.

1 Like

Your welcome. :grin:

It’s a hopefully planned feature that I haven’t gotten to yet. :slight_smile:
I’m not actually sure if it’s possible or not to set the collection order through python, but if it is, here is the state of things.

UI Lists, which is what the tree view is based on, don’t support drag and drop yet. See T67893 for more info on that. The other options are buttons or a cut and paste style thing.

Thanks for the report. I’ve known about it for a while, but it’s been a low priority.

Cheers. :slight_smile:

1 Like