coloured yet reflective cycles material

in progress of making a kitchen, but never can get the cupboards right in material, just a simple glossy looks to fishy, and the most important thing is that, the material does not reflect everything but only the colours the are lighter or brighter than the material colour itself, if not, all other darker colours would just appear as dark shaded colour of cupboard, here’s a few examples for it, the glossy = 0 i think, because it reflects sharply,
http://www.wrenkitchens.com/uploads/8840110c917dc02c985ffe563349b284bf11cc83.jpg

http://regencykitchendesign.co.uk/wp-content/themes/Regency/images/modern/modern_kitchen_4_lg.jpg

i tried using carpaint materials but it is not right

please help, and if possible please explain to me with the node setup, because i tried making the right material (in quite a few models already; tried to make it in an angle that would look right but never worked)

can you upload like a sample file minimum size
so we can see how it renders and what nodes set up you use

this looks like highly glossy mat should be easy to do in cycles!

happy cycles

To achieve that effect - you need to mix a diffuse node (for the base colour) with a white glossy node for the reflections.

i have tried just pluging diffuse and glossy (0) in a mix node, but it need to achieve the frequency threshold thingy, so how?
oh, here’s a picture

as you can see here, anything that is darker than the material colour reflects as a dark colour, even though they are dark red or dark blue, or just anything that’s darker, it happens with my kitchen boards too, and the problem with just a glossy 0 + a diffuse it that only the glossy is seen (well, mostly) and turn down the factor just does not look like anything close

here some tests i did for diff goss

if you set FAC at 1 then it will sort of white wash your color
also refflections are also functions of light sources and objects around

did test here with some blue and yellow

here is test with mauve and white glossy

salut

try something like this

happy cycles

how would you solve the frequency threthold problem?

It’s not a threshold, it just kind of looks that way. Your problem is that you are blending the diffuse and glossy BSDFs by a constant factor, which is wrong. It’s not how reflections on wood/plastic/ceramic works. You need to add the fresnel node (under inputs) and plug it into the mix factor. This way the reflection will be stronger at steep angles. Without it, your reflections will always be either too strong when viewed directly (making things look weirdly metallic) or too weak when viewed at an angle.

And you really shouldn’t use reflectivity 0, nothing in a kitchen will be that shiny. Use something like 0.05 or 0.1.

what do you mean by the frequency
this word does not exit in cycles ?

thanks

did you do a test with node set up i’v given and show us what it gives
is it like or close to your pic you have given?

one thing here is that you have flat surfaces and fresnel wont change much only from point of view !

happy bl

OP - you need to post some pictures of your scene so we can see what’s going on. With the pictures you posted - the lighting may be just as important as the material settings…if you dont have the right lighting (replicating what is going on in those photos), you’ll never know if your material is correct.

thanks, i tried the frensel and it looks better, and yes there is no photon frequency in cycles, is just how i addressed the question, can you just make everything that is darker in colour compared to the material, it becomes colourless(well, just a shadow instead of relfection)

try to play with color intensity
may change from RGB to HSV mode might be easier

but if you make too darker the reflection becomes much darker and may change color also
show some results

happy bl

OP - give this node setup a try.

ok, i tried using your node setup to try to solve the treshold frequency problem and this is what i came up, not really that great and i don’t even know does it work or not, so please inspect
this one is my first aptempt

and then i relized something is not right then:

please correct me if im doing this wrong

you should use your real scene here
the light set up will influence it and use the dark material you had before
it will change how it render !

can you upload a simplified file like you have so we can test it

happy cycles

Agreed. OP - if you are trying to emulate materials from a photograph - you need to replicate (approximately) the geometry and lighting within that scene - otherwise your materials are bound to look different.

well… the problem is that i don’t have any background images and my actual model is VERY big, ( i think so, at least the biggest i’ve ever created) 140MB didn’t know how did it even bump up to such a high number, but, well, i can give at least upload the table only with tested materials, anyone have any spare, free background images, please give it to me
here’s the file:
it was too big, so i puted it into dropbox, the display on the fridge might not work because it’s a separte png, but i though it would not matter because were’re not talking about the fridge

wait don’t need most of the objects in scene
the problem here is the dark reflections on the dark colored faces near the kitchen ceiling

only the dark mauve parts near the top
and the wall ceiling light set up are important

now for a room why do you use a big world image
this is for an inside room not outside render?

what size is the file now ?

thanks

i don’t acctually have the light setup done yet, i have acctually no light source in my current model, but for now, anything would do, but this is the general presets that i’m aiming for, 8.63MB, took out the fridges, added a floor which was suppose to have lighting