Complete post removal

Hello, in 2016 I made this post with another account. I requested an account removal in the hope that all posts attached to the account will be deleted. They didn’t. It would be very kind of you to remove any content associated with this account.
(it reveals my identity with my former workplace.)

https://blenderartists.org/t/problem-with-modeling/660926

Thank you.

I have deleted the post. In most cases, we choose to anonymize accounts instead of fully deleting them. In this case, it makes sense to delete the post.

Thank you very much. Have a nice day!

1 Like

I’m sorry that I need to bother you with that topic again. You have set the post to private, but the files still seem to exist, so google still indexes them. May I ask you to delete the image files from your server?

The files should be removed automatically within a few days. This is not something I can control manually.

I see. It’s been a month and a half though. I guess I’ll wait it out for a while. Thank you for your time.

Only you, and moderators have access to it. If you open up an incognito window and try to access the site you will be faced with this:

https://blenderartists.org/uploads/default/original/4X/4/c/b/4cbe3acd4f884b7b3e0f4ae1473436bf6fe41167.PNG
https://blenderartists.org/uploads/default/original/4X/7/0/f/70fae4c9a497ad2fb7c405a8c63279423ad5b8dd.PNG
https://blenderartists.org/uploads/default/original/4X/8/4/9/84928698de02f03de58a85c2c246c4e09619f9c0.PNG

That is true, though the files are still stored on the server. Google has indexed those links, so the files won’t disappear from the search results unless someone removes the files.

Alright i’ve unlisted this thread in order to make those links unavailable to anyone but those who has access to this topic. Being you, and moderators.

I’ve also edited every reply in that thread with images, however, due to our ability to undo edits, the images will remain on the server.

So now, the absolute only way someone can find those images, is if they have those exact links that you just provided.

I dont know if its possible to completely wipe it form the server without digging into the server files themselves.

I think i’ve done everything a moderator can do, any further steps and it has to come from bart. I think you’re safe though.

@microdotwav im still relatively new, so just confirm that you still have access.

@bartv can you confirm that noone else but him have access?

It doesn’t matter who has access to the thread. Google has the links in their index and I can’t get them to unlist it from their search index, unless someone removed the files. That means someone would need file access to the server, which I understand a moderator won’t have.

Maybe you guys could find out if there is a “timeout” for deleted threads and their corresponding files. The problem would sort itself out then. I’d also appreciate some contact info to the sysadmin so I can shoot him an e-mail about this or so.

By the way, maybe you can talk to some authority and find out why users can’t just have a “full-delete-button” for their own posts (or even accounts) if you get what I mean. I’d be interested to know the reasons for that.

This i can answer.
This forum, is not just a community, but also an archive of knowledge. If lets say, we allowed people to delete their own threads, then that would 1. delete all the contributions from the community, which is not fair; 2. delete the potential that someone in the future stumbles upon the thread and gets a solution that they themselves are looking for.

We do however allow people to delete their own replies to threads, as this at worst only removes one persons contribution to a conversation.

Now, i dont know a whole lot about how google works, so, how would someone gain access to that link through google if they have it in their index?

If you google my old username, you can still find the files attached to the thread on google images, because they’re still indexed.

https://www.google.de/search?q=metr1xx&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiIspCup4_hAhWRKFAKHeCeDYIQ_AUIDygC&biw=1376&bih=1248

You’ll see a few images from blenderartists related to my former workplace.

I understand that archiving is important here, but leaving out a delete option completely, even for mods is not a good idea in my opinion.

I reached out to Discourse, and got a solution. However, this is out of my power.
We have to wait for bartv to look into it, but rest assure that we’ll have it done now that we know how.

@bartv

1 Like

Funny! I guess this mentioned @pfaffman, so I got a notification. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ohh i was about to say… How did you gain access :sweat_smile: I thought this was a private covnersation, but i see now that its public in #support:blender-artists-website-support.
Wierd though, i didnt mention you, i just quoted you.

I thought it was cool that your image appeared here. Didnt know you had an account here.

I imported the data to discourse, so I have an account. The topic is unlisted, but not private. :wink:

1 Like

@bartv Have you looked into it?