[COMPLETE] WIP: CatTrouble / Blender 2.74

I’ll share with you my process for making my entry on the bcon challenge

Thumbnail:

Blender 2.74 splash screen:

Made by Manu Jarvinen with Blender, Gimp in Linux (Xubuntu). The original drawn concept is by: Miisa Lopperi.

Day 1:
I started by doing a low poly model of the cat, it was pretty awful but it helped me to understand the general structure of the cat

After getting the general structure I sculpted the facial features trying to do it as similar as possible to the splash screen

I used the Retopoflow addon to remesh the cat trying to get the lowest polygon number possible, here’s a comparison on the meshes

I also did strategic cuts on the topology for keeping the face features without having to subdivide the model

Remeshing the model also allowed me to have a better uv map and work faster on the textures

For the eyes I reused an old model and I baked the Iris into eyeball. After finishing the textures I began to work with the hair particles, I did 3 layers of furr, 1 for the small furr, 1 for the log furr and a third one for the whiskers

Layer1:

Layer2:

Layer 3:

Render:

At this point I still wasn’t sure about the general concept of the scene so I took a rest.

Day 2:
While falling asleep I started thinking on the scene and I recorded some audios on general ideas for the scene.

Basically I started by expanding the splash screen with someone taking the rope that appears on the image the general idea was having a girl trying to catch a bunch of cats with a cane

So i started by doing the girl. At this point I was very delayed so I reused the face of the cat by changing the mouth and ears topology to make the girl

Then I sculpted the face and the body

After that I did some variations of the cat by changing the texture colors

Here's a render of the characters at this point

Then I thought that having all the cats just looking at the fish would be boring so I did a couple objects for the cats to make them interact with them

After rigging the characters I started to pose them on the scene

At this point the scene was almost ready, I baked some textures and since sketchfab can’t work with hair particles I converted them to instances and extruded them to give some volume.

All was ready but there was a problem, my fbx was of almost 200 MB!
The free accounts of Sketchfab just let you upload files of 50 MB so I has to figure out how to reduce the file size.
I started by eliminating the hair strands that weren’t too visible but it wasn’t enough so I selected all the hair instances an I used random select feature and CTRL+L to select some hairs and remove them. I repeated this 3 times with all the cats and I finally got a 46 MB file. Since I still had a bit of space I added some light particles to give it a nice effect

Finally I uploaded my model to sketchfab and I added some post proccesing to the 3d viewer. Im prety happy on how it turned out!

Give it a look by yourself !
My sketchfab model

4 Likes

Hey! Just a quick reminder that there’s now less than 12 ours remaining to wrap up your challenge entry - submissions close at 2022-09-15T21:59:00Z, GMT+1 (click on the link for some international times).

If you haven’t done so already, please review this post which contains some essential information for preparing your submission.

At the very least, upload your work to Sketchfab as soon as possible and add the #bcon22challenge tag.

It’s also a good idea to add a link to your WIP topic in the description of your Sketchfab model so we can easily find it.

I’ll also keep a close eye on the FAQ topic today, so if you have any issues or questions please post it there as soon as possible.

Good luck!