Construction Lines add-on - CAD - Released

Great thanks

1 Like

Thanks Jimmy. Once I remove the dimension info from the topbar all the buttons normally there will become available, which will cover most of these things. I hadn’t spotted the properties panel (I think that’s what it’s called) not being accessible. I’ll get that fixed. I don’t know why the clicks aren’t passing through so the view orientation widget works, I’ll look into that.

I’ll check out your notes on the toolbar text and just to note that the face dots is a Blender issue. If you apply a boolean modifier to cut into an object face, Blender still shows the face dots for some reason.

Thanks again for the feedback.

2 Likes

You are welcome. The topbar thing sounds nice. I hope the point bug gets fixed in Blender.

The line drawing cuts edges much better then before and it’s nice to see the face splitting with the face dots.

But I do have some notes here also. To often the line will not be complete, missing a little bit of the first part of the edge. I think I also have seen a bit of the last part of the edge missing. One can see it already when drawing the line. When trying to continue one of these lines to a edge it does not appear to want to lock in a direction. I wonder if all these line problems are connected to edges already made. Hmm. Might rather be a issue with my Wacom tablet. Mouse is working, but I have not tried it for a long time so I don’t know for sure. It started good with the drawing on a default cube, then got worse with the tablet.

CL still can’t cross multiple edges and cut faces, but stopping at every edge one crosses works good.

Blender also just now completely froze while not consuming much RAM or CPU, weird.

I have seen some lag when drawing lines, but after I restarted Blender, the blue dot keeps up with the pointer pretty good, so I don’t know yet.

Now Blender is freezing at every line I make when the line becomes a edge cut. Blender is now completely frozen again for minutes.

I will probably remap a key (or two) close to “enter” with AutoHotkey to escape drawing line because I think it’s to much work reaching for “escape” key. I don’t have a idea for CL because “enter” is already taken and I don’t know what keys are needed for what in plain Blender or in CL. I think CL is on the road to becoming really great. I will try to go even deeper during the weekend, hopefully capturing things to video. As for me, my brain really want’s to go to bed, pushing myself to finish this messy post.

I have not used the addon much, but 2.91.2 often freezes up completely on me. I rolled back my Nvidia driver to 460.89 and turned off auto-save. Before I turned the autosave off, the computer needed to be re-booted using the power switch on the back of the computer. Both those things helped but the computer lags and freezes a lot between tasks. I am going to try using 2.83.12 on my next project. Does the addon work in 2.83.12? I have not tried the newest Nvidia driver which came out recently. Thanks

1 Like

Yes, I’ve had exactly the same problems with Blender 2.92 freezing. I wonder if it is something like an Nvidia driver issue, as I’ve also experienced kernal issues when setting the shader to rendered view. I also had someone else contact me about this and they said they were using a fresh Blender install with no add-ons. I’ll try the steps you mention to see if this helps fix it. If I can narrow it down, I’ll raise a bug report.

Construction Lines should work fine on 2.83, the only thing that won’t work is the cut-through with extrude as it doesn’t have the Exact boolean solver in 2.83. Let me know if you have any issues and I’ll help sort it.

2 Likes

This is a great update, thank you.

Small issue maybe?

1 Like

Now testing CL in Blender 2.91.2. Still with my Wacom tablet. CL is faster in that version, no slowdowns of freezing. Lines not starting from the beginning still happens, but not as much. In this video I have posted started with that. I was going to make a hole in the face by drawing lines and that happened.

Also as of writing, I can’t exit CL by clicking on the right Blender toolbar, hovering and clicking only affects what is under. Exiting CL on it’s exit toolbar button works, but when back in CL I still can’t exit by clicking on the Blender toolbar.

In most areas Construction Lines looks to now be better and more easy to use then Snap Utilities Line, on feature side it’s only better at cross cutting faces of what I have seen.

2 Likes

Hello unfortunately CL does not work for me in Blender 2.92 at all.
Not only that, the AddOn freezes but working with the “industrial key map” is simply not possible.
Moving zooming and rotating the cam is not possible.
Even if it only cost 7 $, I would have expected a working AddOn.
I hope you fix the bugs quickly,

Thanks

Dan developed CL 0.95 with Blender 2.91 in mind. I guess some of the issues you, me and others are experiencing with CL in Blender 2.92 might be because of changes in Blender that impacts add-ons, some might be bugs/issues in Blender and others might be pure bugs/issues with CL. Dan has recommended using Blender 2.91 for now and CL is working a bit better in that version. No freezes in 2.91 yet for me. A lot of them in 2.92. You will still have issues if you switch to Blender 2.91, but you might be able to do some work with CL.

1 Like

Really glad you like it. Thanks for posting the video, I’m not sure what is going on but I’ll look into it.

Sorry to hear that you’re having issues with CL on 2.92. As Jimmy mentioned CL was developed for 2.91 (and previous) as 2.92 has only just been released. I’ve noticed, along with others that I’m getting some freezes in 2.92 that I’ve never had in 2.91. I’ve experienced these even outside of CL with normal Blender use. It’s something I’m looking into at the moment to see if there are any CL issues.
Try in 2.91 and if you have issues still, send me a direct message with your email and I’ll help resolve them with you.

Thanks Jimmy. Glad that 2.91 is more stable. I wonder if some of these issues are to do with the tablet input. I’ll get access to a tablet and see what’s going on in the background.

Hi Heinz,
Just to follow up on my last comment. There is a whole thread about stability issues with Blender 2.9x Blender 2.9 keeps crashing - #45 by Jayghost79 so it may be that the freezing has something to do with these. As I say though, I am looking into this and another add-on developer has just posted some advice to me, where he was having freezing issues and managed to solve them, so I’ll be implementing his suggestion to see if it works.

As I say though, do send me your email address if you’re still having problems when rolling back to 2.91 and I’ll work with you to get things resolved.

Sure my friend. Could you also look into direction lock sensitivity with tablet use when you get access to one? I think there are some issues there as well. Input feels a bit off sometimes. Even then, tablets are both less and more clumsy to use than a mouse. There can also be a difference between mice or just how we use our input devices. So I wonder if a sensitivity slider for direction locking could be a good thing to have in the settings?

I’m going to try map orbit and pan to my mouse on it’s extra buttons. Then I should be able to test using mouse more with CL.

Edit, extras: I don’t know if it matters when it comes to the stability of Blender 2.92, but I have a Radeon RX 580 GPU and not the latest drivers.

1 Like

I have the Construction Lines 0.9.5 add-on installed into Blender 2.92 on a Microsoft Surface Book which has a rather high DPI display. Thus far I have not had any technical issues with utilizing the add-on in my tests, a vast improvement over the prior version, but due to the high DPI display the 3D workspace floating buttons are crammed together and the accompanying text hard to read. I am farsighted with aging eyes and an inadequate eye-glasses prescription.

I didn’t see any options in the preferences but I was wondering if you could add some options for users to adjust the spacing, placement, and text size of the 3D workspace floating buttons?

1 Like

Some test modeling at 3x speed, 5 min long video. A room test. A lot of problems with direction locking (even when I switched to mouse), face disappearing, selection hiding the CL toolbar and other issues. I also have problem understanding how to use the measurement/guide tool. After the video was captured I lost the ability to cut faces completely. The new lines are also still somewhat visible when not in the edit mode. Also after the video was captured, when I set a size to a rectangle shape, it finalizes in a new direction at “enter”.

So far the extrusion has gone well. However, I wish the shape or shapes that are going to be extruded had highlighted surface edges because it looks weird not being able to see the shape before the extrusion begins.

I have modeled a simple chair and a bed earlier today with less problems then this room test. I think this and my previous post covers most issues that I have and will find.

Edit, additions:

No face dots on this side, so no cut. Edit mode.

Now in object mode, the edges looks like they are not a part of the cube. I guess that if they where a part of the cube, they would not show up in object mode. I think this is a situation of leaving CL and coming back to do more line cuts.

Hi David,
I’m glad to hear that CL is working well for you and you’ve seen the improvements. I’ll definitely add a preference to change the size of toolbar icons (along with text size) and hopefully, this will help with the high DPI display.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback Jimmy. It looks like there are still some issues with face cutting. I think it might be a rounding issue (on positions) but I’ll look into it. I think I now have a fix to get around some of the freezing issues. I imagine I’ll be putting out a 0.9.51 sometime soon.

2 Likes

You are welcome. Could going away from and coming back to CL affect/create that rounding issue? Trying to draw on a side that worked before helps nothing. Wait… I actually found something! I tried using the select tool in CL and now when I switched to pen again some cuts might have fixed them selves, others have been fixed by making more faces. I wounder if I have used the select tool somewhere for looking at face cuts and that leading to new lines not being a part of the rest of the mesh. Sometimes it feels like I’m good at breaking things. I’m not a programmer yet, so I guess it can be good if I sometimes can find out how, because “why” is above my level. :slight_smile:

Thanks, Jimmy. There are certain operations in Blender that seem to only properly update once you’ve switched between Edit mode and Object mode or performed some other operation. I’ve seen a number of add-on developers note in their code, after some piece of code “Hack: the only way this will work properly” or something along those lines. It can be tough to make sure Blender updates it’s internal model correctly. So it’s quite possible that exiting CL will sometimes trigger Blender to call a full update, so when you go back into CL things have been fixed. At the moment, it’s a case of narrowing down the areas where this is happening and fixing each instance, to make sure that the correct Blender update is called.

2 Likes