Construction Lines add-on - CAD - Released

:smiley: Tell me about it! It’s been a big dev cycle this time around. As I mentioned before, I’m going to move to shorter cycles from now on and release a bit more regularly. I’ll send over a link to the experimental builds when I get the first one on GitHub.

This release was running away with me a bit so I ended up limiting the features and will include more in 0.9.7 I have a whole list of all your suggestions, so I will add those in when I can. Not sure in what release yet but I’ll see where they best fit.

Thanks for trying on 3.0, that’s really good to know!

Well i dont expect you to add all my suggestions, just wondered if you decided not to do some for a reason but i see alot of them are listed in the github page that you didnt mention in the video

I did have another ui suggestion(i dont think i said before)
That would go in toe with the agility to add new buttons

The suggestion is to group functions under one button
If you have used photoshop before it has some tools that have multi functions you have to click and hold which brings up a popout menu to select one of the available tools in the group

So interms of this addon imagen you have move, rotate and eventually scale all under one button you click and hold the button to bring a selection menu to select which tool you want to use in that group
The icon on the main toolbar then changes to the selected tool
So now you have one button on the toolbar that stores the 3 transform tools

This would allow you to keep the main toolbar less cluttered were you can have similar tools grouped
like extrude, inset(you mentioned in the video) and maybe bevel. It would be very useful for when we can add our own buttons as that would defiantly start to clutter things.

Duplicate as an instance is a must for me i use instances all the time for work

1 Like

Great update! Played around with it just for a bit so far and still getting used to how things work, but I see two things I would rely like to see;

Would be nice to have the ability to see dimensions of “mesh lines” aswell, atleast while in edit mode. You mentioned the guide snapping in the video, and that is a brilliant idea to selectively be able to chose what lines to measure, but maybe a toggle to see all edge lengths would be nice to.

I realy like that we have the option to put numbers for dimentons directly now without hitting enter, but it would be nice if the direct input on numpad could only be “active” while you are in an operation, like if you are in the middle of drawing line segments you would do direct input, but when you haven’t started an operation yet it would behave like navigation.

Im just starting a session using the new update and will edit this post with any bug reports i find

• In edit mode if i move a face as a duplicate and place it down and then try to move/duplicate again with the same face that is still highlighted the face deselects instead of being able to move/duplicate
    I drew a large face, and then drew a smaller face onto it i was then using select to select the smaller face and using move and duplicate to create repeating smaller faces across the larger face

• If im in any tool(select,line draw ect) and try to select one of blenders default tools it ignores the button so if i had the line tool selected it will start to draw a line through the ui button of the toolbar.
    I have to exit construction tools in order to actually click these buttons, needs a way to detect and auto exit construction tools so switching default tools is less awkward

• Drawing a line through several lines caused a full freeze(32 lines in this case) Had to force close

Hi,
Nice improvement with your knife so cool, your extrude tool leave some face when I use boolean on border (not all the time) I guess you can add option to change between exact and fast solver it can help.
Why you need to use shit Exc for leaving CL it’s a little too slow and furthermore we can now cancel the operation with right click so why don’t use only Exc for leaving.
but it’s goin in right direction much more stable than before, congrat.

1 Like

Thanks for the updates the tool is getting more stronger. Also the video is instructive congrats!
2 comments:

• Regarding the idea of presenting the work seems a good idea, If I understand well it would be a kind of MeasureIt replacment ? Anyway I vote for a separated addon to not overcharge the current

• Offset is a nice feature I use often with the builtin addon mesh tools that contains a offset edges operator.

• To All: Actually I have difficulties to include CL in my workflow because of my old habits. I’m curious to see how people are using the addon in real situation so if someone can record his next modeling session it would be very helpful for people like me haha!

Think you didnt mean to tag me im not the creator :stuck_out_tongue:

I know that :slight_smile: it’s just a mistake :wink:

Duplicate as an instance is on the list. I’m going to do as a Move+Alt to keep in line a bit with how Blender’s duplication works. I’ve got my personal list of dev items which is more in-depth than the GitHub one but I’ll move more of these over soon.

Good call on grouping buttons, this could definitely help with keeping the layout clean and simple.

Thanks for the bug reports too. I’ll be working on a 0.9.61 during the week, as a few things have come up, so I’ll try to fix these too.

Thanks Elk, I’m really pleased you like it. Do you mean have an option to show persistent dimensions on all the models edges?

1 Like

Thanks for the comment, I’m glad you’re liking the new update. Yes, there are still some issues with Blender’s Boolean operations, I’m hoping for an update on this soon. It definitely leaves edges behind sometimes. As I mentioned before, I hadn’t planned to develop my own extrude but I think it looks like it might be the best way to go now.
You can change the Shift+Exc now in preferences, so you can set it to anything you like now.

1 Like

Thanks for the comment. I’ve been playing with some prototyping this weekend for the presentation tool to get a feel for how it will work. You’re right, it should definitely be separate tool. Partly because there will be some who won’t ever use the features but also because I don’t want to bloat CL. It will be much more than MeasureIt. I want to be able to take views from the model and scale to correct paper size, for export to .svg/.pdf to make proper CAD documents, with dimensions, text, etc.

2 Likes

Yeah. I know you can set Measurment for Edge Length in the overlays in vanilla blender, but they only show for currently selected edges. Would be nice to have an option to be able to see them consistently while in “edit” mode. It could become cluttered for more complex objects though. I intend to use CL for doing outlines to use as guides for ArchiPack among other things, and for this kind of workflows I think it would be nice to have a way to easily be able to check your dimentions at a glance.

1 Like

The addon comes to better and better.

Is it possible to snap to viewport grid while creating shapes?

5 Likes

Thanks @ruby_en This is coming in the next version (0.9.7)

5 Likes

Hi I am planning to buy this. and i am a bit new transitioning to Blender from a CAD user and found this addon will make my jump to blender more natural and faster since i am used to CAD workflow. just want to ask if i bought the current version, do i need to buy the updates or i can download them using the acct in let say Blender market? sorry for the Noob question. Really happy to stumble on this and thanks for your hardwork catering to the CAD users

2 Likes

Hi Caz,
I’m glad you found Construction Lines, I hope it meets your needs. Once you purchase, you’re entitled to all future updates. You should get an email from Blender Market/Gumroad when each update is released and I always post on this thread.

1 Like

Hi Dan,

Thank you for the prompt response. glad to know this. i am new buying addons. which place is better to buy then Blender market or Gumroad? Excited to use it soon!

Caz

No problem. I don’t think it makes much difference but Gumroad seems to process release updates quicker and also lets me write a release email, linking to the release video and also I can attach the new release .zip, so you don’t have to go and download it. Whatever you prefer though.
Thanks,
Dan

1 Like

Blendermarket unfortunately takes a big chunk from the creators. But also positive review there goes a long way.

1 Like