Construction Lines add-on - CAD - Released

How big? But they do give back to the development of Blender.

https://blendermarket.com/pricing

I believe commission rate is the percentage the creator gets from every sale.

There must be also some taxation once the creator gets his percentage but that would also be in Gumroad too. Gumroad I think only takes 8.5% from a sale but not sure.

1 Like

Here’s Gumroad’s latest(from August 30th):

https://twitter.com/shl/status/1432329692141420554

2 Likes

Got it on Gumroad. will be using it soon :smiley:

1 Like

Hi, just bought this and it seems extremely useful! However, there is some Blender-style functionality that I’m missing:

1. Plane lock for the move command (and other commands where appropriate) in addition to axis lock - e.g. when you press Shift+Z instead of Z when moving something with the Blender move command, it locks you to the XY plane instead of the Z axis, effectively a “not-Z” lock.

2. Switching between global and local coordinates by pressing the key twice (both for axis and plane locks) - very useful for moving rotated objects if your entire model isn’t aligned to the global axes. For example, pressing Y twice when moving an object that’s already rotated to align to a slanted surface, to bring it outwards or further recess it relative to the surface. Visualizing the locked axis/plane like Blender does would help make sense of this as well.

Can’t have every little nuance from Blender’s move tool (some of it would surely conflict with CL as well), but I feel like these are very useful little shortcuts that wouldn’t get in the way (or could at least be user configurable?) and might be even expected by some of the Blender crowd.

1. Also, the option to snap to the Blender grids and object origins (useful e.g. when moving curved or organic shapes with a ton of imprecise “useless” verts) would be great.

Sorry if this stuff was already on the list but a quick scan of the topic didn’t look like it had been brought up. Thanks for the great addon!

2 Likes

Hi, Thanks very much for the feedback. I’m glad you like CL. I’ve put your plane lock feature suggestion onto the dev list. It would be useful to have this and I’ll try to get it in for the next version (0.9.7). The other two features are already on the list (I’m still updating the public dev list, so some that are on my personal dev list haven’t made it over yet), so expect those in a version soon.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

Hey Dan, really nice implementation of SU like workflow in Blender. Just purchased it. Very impressed. I have a new SU-like line art render addon you might want to take a look at. It’s currently in open beta at my Discord: http://cw1.me/discord
It’s called SIMPLE SKETCH and works really well with SU like dynamic shadowing as well.

I look forward to the new features, esp the offset/outside.

A couple of ideas:

1. Do an extrude first, then extrude faces by normal, then delete all but the original.
  2. Another way would be to create a much larger face which encompasses the original outline, then do an outside offset of it, then delete the much larger face. But maybe you can figure out the offsets, though I suspect the math could be daunting with all sorts of edge cases.

Also, if you’re into high quality rendering, you should definitely check out K-Cycles-- ridiculously fast and even more important are all the wonderful viewport effects, like Bloom which are much more sophisticated than what native Blender offers. Not to mention, K-CyclesX is superfast–faster even than CyclesX

Also, if you are into archviz, you might check out my KIT OPS PARALLAX addon which creates single plane 3D parallax rooms from a full scene using only one texture map. It’s currently #2 on BM.

Once again, thanks for this addon. Wonderful!

3 Likes

Hi Chipp.

Thanks very much for the message. KIT OPS is a fantastic add-on and PARALLAX looks incredible. I’ll definitely purchase. I work in archviz so this could be a great tool for me. It looks like it can cut down animation rendering time to a fraction of what it would be if you tried to render in the normal way.

I’ve downloaded SIMPLE SKETCH and will give it a whirl today. Alongside CL, I’m working on my new add-on which is a documenting tool for laying out multiple model views, scaled to paper size, with dimensions and annotations. It has the ability to export to .svg and I’m hoping .pdf soon. I’d love to have simple shaded views, alongside the standard model views, so if I can save the output from SIMPLE SKETCH (even as an image), that would be amazing.

I’ve been meaning to try K-Cycles for a while, as it always seems to get rave reviews. I’m impressed to hear that it’s faster the Cycles-X, I’ll definitely download and give it a test.

I have a couple more bugs to fix for the interim release of CL, then I’ll be onto the next full release, which will include inset/offsets. I’m a little concerned about the work involved, so I’ll definitely give these suggestions a go first, thanks.

I’m a big fan of your add-ons and tutorials, Chipp. I’ve followed you since the early SU tutorials, keep up the great work!

3 Likes

Hello. I have purchased Construction Lines. How can I just need Extrude function instead of Cut-Through. Sometimes I need Extrude. But Cut-Through appears. I don’t know if there is a solution? Thanks for replying.

Hi, Extrude and Cut-Through are the same tool. To extrude, drag in the direction of the selected face normal and to cut-through, drag in the opposite direction. If you’re having problems with it, make sure your face normals are oriented correctly.

Hi Dan

Well I have been using your addon for quite sometimes and i really like this addon now because for my architectural workflow when we can have a new release

And is there any way this addon can be used with Archipack

1 Like

Hi Shehroze,

Thanks for the comment. I’m really pleased to hear that you’re finding Construction Lines a useful tool.

At the moment CL and Archipack can’t work at the same time but I’ll post an update here if that changes in the future.

I’ve just released Construction Lines version 0.9.61 which is an interim release before 0.9.7. It includes some bug fixes and new features. The release notes are below.
As usual, you should receive an email from Blender Market or Gumroad to tell you how to download the release files. The Gumroad email should have the .zip attached.

Thanks to everyone who is using Construction Lines. I’m looking forward to getting out the next big release 0.9.7 so watch this space.

Release Notes:

New Features & Bug Fixes:

1. New: Added snapping to guide/edge intersections
  2. New: Alt+‘X’ will dissolve geometry to complement normal ‘X’ for remove
  3. New: Alt+‘Z’ toggles wireframe/solid views
  4. New: Font size is now in preferences and will affect the size of guide dimensions and tips box text
  5. Change: Guides will now automatically enter horizontal mode if dragged from another guide
  6. Fixed: ‘Error: Viewlayer does not contain object’ crash when exiting CL and trying to restore a hidden object
  7. Fixed: Removed persistent dimension text from horizontal guides
  8. Fixed: If an object was hidden during CL use, the object faces could still be snapped
  9. Fixed: If toggling to Object mode when in Extrude, tool would stay on Extrude. Now changes back to default Select tool
  10. Fixed: Improvements to face finding and edge splitting when adding new geometry to existing
  11. Fixed: Bug with undo after an extrude operation. Working object would lose focus and sometimes extrude boolean object would be rebuilt
7 Likes

Where’s the Developer passthrough settings for this addon?

I’m finding the UI is really really slow whenever the addon is activated. Running CL 0.9.6 and Blender 2.93.5 on Windows 10 using a AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT, 64 GB and a 3060 Nvidia card.

Is it slow running on the default Blender scene? What sort of poly count are you using CL with?

Developer passthrough was for an older version, this has since been removed as a setting as it’s no longer relevant.

While drawing construction lines it works great, but as soon as a surface is drawn, CL becomes slow. I use Blender 2.93.5.

It seems to be much quicker in a blank new file. So I suspect it was the model I was working with that was causing CL to become slow and laggy.

What system are you running this on (Win, Mac)? Does it happen even if the scene is empty and drawing your first piece of geometry?

Have you tried unchecking some of the snapping options or hiding parts of the geometry? If neither of these makes a difference, is it a model that you can share with me (understand if not)?

Blender is running on Windows.
I have figured out the following:
Contructionlines runs fine in Blender 2.93.5. Sometimes when zooming the viewport gets a little slow.
In Blender K-Cycles X the addon gets slow when drawing lines, even with an empty scene. The problem must be in the special build K-Cycles X.

1 Like