Converting a cinema 4D material pack into a blender & cycles compatible format

hello! so I’ve been looking at this pack of c4d materials for a few months now wishing it could come to blender but that doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen anytime soon so i was wondering how difficult would it be to buy the pack and hire a talented blender artist from here to convert them all into a blender compatible version for personal use (paid work of course)

i didn’t post in the jobs section because I’m still wondering if it’s even possibleand how much would something like this cost? thanks for reading

About 3/4 of the way down it says " For advanced Houdini , Maya , or 3ds Max users, you are able to build PBR materials using the provided texture maps, but we do not offer technical support to non-C4D users."

If it comes with the PBR texture maps you can just attach those textures on to a Principled BSDF node and you’re good to go.

1 Like

I think that’s for some of the materials like the wood and concrete etc but the abstract ones are not just plain maps right? would the color palette sill be intact?

I don’t think anybody could tell you how hard it would be from the information provided. From the sounds of it, at least some of these materials are more than a PBR texture pack, so you couldn’t just script up a conversion and let it run. And at 240 materials (even if 100 are just PBR texture packs) you’re potentially looking at a lot of work, for somebody skilled with multiple software packages, which would end up being, at the very least, several hundred dollars of labor.

Beyond that, you have potential licensing issues. It’s not legal to just take somebody else’s materials (prob. including textures), convert them, and use them or give them to somebody else, not without permission. As this is a paid product, it is very unlikely to be built around some kind of CC0 license. Many of the materials may involve CC0 components, but verifying what’s usable and what’s not would take a lot of time, which means a lot of money.

However, it probably wouldn’t be hard to get permission, particularly if you offered the rights to the author-- then they’d end up with a sellable version for Blender, you’d get the mats you wanted, and the artist you hired for the conversion would get paid.

Still, you’re looking at a lot of money here. You might consider commissioning a native Blender material pack instead. For the price of the c4d pack + conversion labor, you could end up with a lot of good stuff, made to spec, possibly with full copyright as well, depending on the terms you and your artist(s) agree on.

1 Like

The license shouldn’t be an issue hopefully because I’m going to buy it and use it personally without sharing the files, it would probably cost a lot but it’s worth it for me

and I’ve never liked any blender native material pack unfortunately because they all seem… I don’t know how to say it but ugly and don’t follow a style & color palette

You might check out:

1 Like

i love your add-ons but unfortunately I’m looking for a cute bright mograph material pack while your pack seems more archviz focused

1 Like

Much more tedious to get to the same results mostly because Blender doesn’t have half of the noise types/presets that Cinema has.

Maybe these few can serve you until you get the hang of creating your own

Previews: https://www.onelvxe.com/material-pipeline

1 Like

Thanks for the links I’ll check them out, i think i already have that procedural noise pack by simon thommes but always forget to use it

I saw that pack for C4D and I though of doing the same thing… I really wish blender will have a offical material pack like other renderers.

1 Like