Coronavirus discussion (please keep it sensible and civil)

One thing is certain for me now is that tourists are dangerous :rofl:

I was stating facts, nothing else. The Chinese situation also demonstrated quite well how the oppression of freedom of the flow of information was quite detrimental, and an obvious weakness in dealing with the outbreak.

Every system of government has its strengths and weaknesses. And based on a lot of evidence how most of the population cannot govern themselves properly, and humans social beings, some kind of government and level of governmental control is necessary.

Wouldnā€™t you agree?

Besides, humans would like to believe that individuality is so important, yet research in the flow of history and social groups indicates that a sort of hive mind exists outside the direct control of humanity.

You keep telling us to not trust mainstream media, yet here you are, linking to several mainstream articles that are purely designed to draw attention, and gain clicks.

I advice you to look be a bit more critical. People go nuts over anything, seeing fights in stores is not that uncommon in america from what iā€™ve seen, the only difference is that now you can stick a corona lable on it.

The Covid19 virus, in case you didnt know, actually likely stemmed from a chinese wet market, where live animals are slaughtered on the spot. These places have no regulations, hundreds of different living animals in disgusting conditions, often covered in urine and blood.

An absolute perfect place for decease and viruses to spread. Most viruses actually came from animals.

There is no bio weapon conspiracy. Im not saying that bio weapons is not a thing, but its not a thing in connection with the corona virus. Lets stop with the panic spreading please, youā€™re seemingly attempting to drive this thread into a state of panic

8 Likes

Humanity needs a certain level of government, but if government decides to ā€œnot let a good crises go to wasteā€ and go too far in their restrictions and edicts amid the outbreak, then they wouldā€™ve done the unbelievably stupid move of making some of the paranoia at Infowars sound credible.

Iā€™m just happy i donā€™t have a TV anymore. You guys seem stressed. The only thing that stresses me out are empty TP shelves in my local store. WTFā€¦

3 Likes

Couldnā€™t the opposite point be made too? If the entire world had been united in one homogeneous planetary social and economical system with a shared culture, with one language, one shared level of technology, one shared level of middle-class welfare and good health care system, no religion or just one, with one type of government, Iā€™d say chances are dealing with this health crisis would have been much more efficient and simpler.

I work at a grocery store, actually. Yesterday we had sales equivalent to 23rd of december, or in other words, the busiest day of the year :stuck_out_tongue:

Its definitely an overreaction. I think things will calm down once the panic heads get what they need and shut themselves inn for a couple weeks.

OK so according to you everything is conspiracies and all media are click link bait OK i see.

Uhm, no. I actually dont believe in most conspiracies, theyā€™re fun speculations, and i enjoy them as entertainment, not as factual statements.

And not all media are click baits, but the vast majority are written and designed to gain clicks, yes. Not necessarily to ā€œBaitā€ you, but definitely optimised to draw traffic, thats how they make money.

And a fight at a grocery store over toilet paper during the corona epidemic is a great headline.

Donā€™t be stress over this they will supply every single grocery store while this craze is going on, they did it in China and for them itā€™s almost over and cases are rapidly diminishing.

Not doing so would mean opening a Pandora box that no one would be able to close.

OK even the one written in history books like Julius Caesar murder etc are all a figment of our imaginations?

Project 112 was not a click bait link like you accuse me of providing it was a wikepedia article with all the necessary proof provide.

They never did test on Afro Americans to give them syphilis right ?

Do you want more or are you simply born to contest facts?

The main point i am trying to make is that we cannot discard information just because a label is applied to it and the only people who accept everything without investigating are like cultists and cult are pretty much scary.

1 Like

Uhm try not to direct the discussion down a path that it was never intended to. I know very little about Caesar, and frankly i dont think thats remotely relevant to this discussion. To quote myself, i said i dont believe in most conspiracies. Sure there are some historically that turned out to have some truth to them, but in the end theyā€™re mostly speculations. Thats why theyā€™re called ā€œConspiracy Theoriesā€.

I also didnt question your wikipedia links, but you are linking to an ocean of articles regarding the corona virus, that i, to be completely honest dont have the time to dig through. Im drawing the assumption based on the number of links you posted while skimming through the thread to catch up.

Lets just try to keep things calm. Weā€™ll be fine in the end, its better to advice each other on steps to take to reduce changes of catching the virus, especially if youā€™re already vulnerable.

And we can talk about funny stories that stem from this whole situation, like how crazy people are to horde goods for months ahead of them.

But lets try to stay away from panic spreading please, its all im asking. Im really not here to argue

Just one thing to say about conspiracy theories and medicine. To accept them would be to suppose that the vast majority of doctors and scientists are corrupt and bad people, which is really stupid to think so. Throughout the world there are many health services, including laboratories that depend on state agencies and do not seek profit as their main purpose. If Medicine were so corrupted, you wouldnā€™t see one or two crazy doctors reporting/denouncing crazy things out there. You would see millions of honest doctors and scientists denouncing the irregularities that concern lovers of conspiracy theories so much. Do you not know any scientist or doctor who has really studied with a vocation to help others and make the world better? Come on, itā€™s not that difficult. Itā€™s just stopping for a moment to think better.

4 Likes

And i apologize for making all these links but i think that sometime it is necessary to remind people that we have to be careful about the information we are being fed with.

And please read at least 1 or 2 articles because they are very relevant and the minute someone say the magic word conspiracy everyone go Berserk trying to label the person as a fool without even investigating the reasoning behind it.

Like i have said before i donā€™t believe in goofy thing but there has been many so call conspiracy in the past that have full evidences and are consider facts in today literature.

And frankly there was so many article in Time Magazine the past decade about serious warning on bio weapon engineering that we cannot discard the remote possibility that it could be just this.

I will stop feeding my thread with links

2 Likes

Official does not equal reliable.

1 Like

We learned our lesson about news since fascist minded people got in power around the world based on false articles online. Now these people are attacking the real journalists and scientific community and trying to undermine them as much as possible while they are in power.

You listing 10 true conspiracies among thousands of false conspiracies is not helping your cause. A broken watch is right twice a day.

3 Likes

lets try not to fuel the fire, this is also getting a bit off topic :confused:

Agreed, we donā€™t have a telly either in our home. The constant barrage of negativity and commercials motivated us to remove that stress factor out of our lives two decades ago.

And television as a medium is bad enough as it is. The way a human brain works allows televised images to pass around our critical thinking. This does not happen when we read. For most, watching moving images for a mere 10 seconds puts our brain in alpha mode, reducing critical thought and becoming very receptive to new information.

This is the prime reason why the news about Corona fills most with severe anxiety, while reading about it in a news paper or on a news site allows for a much more balanced cerebral response.

Also the fundamental reason why complex information and messages are very difficult to convey through television (if not impossible), but simplistic half-truths and plain lies work very, very well. Obviously television is loved by most governments. Take that as it is, for right or wrong.

2 Likes

Letā€™s use this thread to put up real data and statistics in the first post. Instead we get conspiracy theorists, science deniers and blatantly false sources for much of the information about the virus.

2 Likes

Then lets make an active effort to redirect the thread down a more productive path, iā€™ve already spoke with polynut, he said heā€™ll stop.

Lets try to pick up where Herbert123 started. We just dont need to go back to the topic of conspiracies, its best to just leave it behind. Iā€™ll continue to watch the thread and make sure it doesnt get out of hand, if it does then unfortunately iā€™ll have to lock it, as such threads can tend to get out of control very, very quickly.

I would love not to, as this thread is very interesting, and iā€™d love for it to continue. But lets all make an effort not to deviate it

1 Like