Coronavirus discussion (please keep it sensible and civil)

But chaos that is not sourced from a Hollywood movie production makes for great TV (at least if you don’t have to be in the middle of it) :grin:

I wonder if it will cause a ratings drop for some of those political thrillers in primetime? Watching the news gives you the same content and there’s a new episode every afternoon.

1 Like

dengue, zika and chikungunya are more likely to kill me. borders can be closed, people can be quarantined. mosquitoes? no way. we dont have enough frogs. they keep dying to cars maan.

i dont think that 24/7 nonstop hammering myself in the head about it will increase my chances of survival. my dad has bit of a heart condition so i kinda worry though. yet you dont see me raiding the local store now do you.

OK believe whatever you want and we live in Disneyland after all!

You can close the thread since i found a better place to talk about it and no it’s not a conspiracy site it’s a philosophy site and people are at least more open mind instead of labeling anyone a fool because he state facts written in actual literature .

By the way you can also delete my account since i don’t fit here, thank. Extreme right was scary but extreme left are down right terrifying.

1 Like

What solution would you propose to better protect ourselves? Pretend that other nations aren’t meant for us, and we should forever stay put in the countries of our births?

Bit of an extreme solution, isn’t it?

You’re leaving over this? No one’s been outright disrespectful to you here. Plenty of people have disagreed with some of the things you’ve said, sure, but that’s the point of having a discussion. To clash our ideals against opposition, to defend or discard them as we see fit. There’s no reason to take any of this personally.

2 Likes

Why not? Look how much of a thriving Utopia North Korea is…

Polynut, I think you’re an ok dude. People have disagreements. It is what it is, but asking to have your accounts deleted over a heated argument about how much people are overreacting due to COVID-19…
…IS an overreaction due to COVID-19. So just take a break, collect yourself, and move past it. No big deal. :slightly_smiling_face:

That being said, here’s my take: We should all be doing our part to wash our hands, cough into our elbows, and not gathering in large groups. Beyond that, we shouldn’t be panicking.

I’d suggest anyone with 20 minutes to spare read this: https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

############
And I’m going to be blunt here (to all reading). I’m not going to respond to any opinions on the article. I’ve spent several hours fact checking all the for/against pieces on this article. Regardless, it does a good job of highlighting the saverity of this outbreak and what to expect in your area.The recommendations outlined within are good practice for any outbreak and could save lives. I don’t give two shits about conspiracy theories or how much you think he does or doesn’t know what he’s talking about. I just don’t care what you (anyone) thinks on the matter. I’m only here because I feel people should read it. I’m not up for debating it.
############

2 Likes

I don’t think “flattening the curve” will be nearly enough. There’s two options: containment (immediate lock down), or herd immunity. If we want to keep the numbers below what the health care system can handle, “flattening the curve” would mean flattening it to decades. https://medium.com/@joschabach/flattening-the-curve-is-a-deadly-delusion-eea324fe9727

Of course the article doesn’t count for multiple mitigating compounding factors that can help, but it gives a quick overview of the fallacy in the picture of “flattening the curve”. “Flattening the curve” will give people excuse to not take the virus seriously enough.

Virus spreads with human activity. Less activity means less virus.
In Russia, we avoided the spread of plague due to minimal activity in the winter time.

Who would be attracted to rule over us? The same type of psychopath who has tried to create such a system in the past, that’s who. One world government would be a dictatorship not a democracy, look at the EU a small scale version of one world government, it’s not a democracy. It puts the interests of big business and big capital about the rights of the voter who are so removed from power they cannot change the direction of the EU.

Power should be diffused and be as close to the people as possible, the voter should always hold the power to remove the government.

1 Like

Hogwash, you’re just projecting your ignorance. Everyone should remain critical of any media be that the MSM or alt-media. Believing crackpots just because they’re not the MSM is as dumb as blindly following every word the MSM says as fact.

6 Likes

i think it’s pretty clear that we need to take precautions if we don’t want to get overwhelmed.

the virus is not a danger if the government can manage everything.

We need to be thankful a bit. humanity is filled with horrors much more worse and devastating than this virus. maybe it’s the time for everyone to not take our civilization stability for granted anymore.

1 Like

Here in Brazil everyone be like:

“Guess we’re all gonna die… lets pretend nothing is happening.”

Right now Canada might only have 200 confirmed cases, but it’s doubling roughly every 4 days. That means that in 68 days you could, in theory, have 26,214,400 confirmed cases. In reality there are probably far more unconfirmed cases already. What that means is over the next couple of months, unless you live alone in a cabin in the woods you are most likely going to get infected. Not a big deal for most people, You’ll get it. You’ll feel like crap for a week or so and you’ll get better. The problem is that the health services in a country will become swamped with the critical cases. Canada only has 3170 ICU beds and 4982 mechanical ventilators. People will die that would ordinarily have lived simply because the demand for ICU beds will vastly outstrip the number of them. If only half of Canada’s population get infected (it’s likely to be higher) and only 1% of those die (mortality rate is running at about 7% at the moment overall) then you are talking about 187,950 additional deaths over the space of two or three months. Add to that additional non-coronavirus deaths that are as a result of the health services being overwhelmed. It’s not blown out of proportion.

People panic buying toilet roll and antibacterial hand gel is laughable and foolish. The anti-bac stuff especially as it has no impact at all on viruses. Buy and use good old-fashioned soap and leave the anti-bacterial stuff for people with health problems that mean they depend on it (bacteria isn’t taking a holiday just because Covid 19 is on the prowl).

People “panic buying” extra food and the like isn’t panic buying. It’s common sense. Everyone should have enough food in their home so that if they we required to self-isolate and remain home for 2 or 3 weeks they could.

There are no need for any conspiracy theories to explain Covid 19. It’s a new coronavirus. We’ve known about the coronavirus family of viruses for many, many decades. This is simply a new one. They typically emerge in China and Asia because you have the ideal conditions for a virus to jump from animal hosts to humans. All it takes is for a mutation to take place to make human to human transmission possible. That’s what happened. Anywhere you have dense populations of people living near large amounts of pigs and birds your will inevitably get zoonotic diseases emerging.

Don’t hold your breath for a vaccine. The ones you hear about being developed and fastracked (it can often take up to a decade for a vacccine to jump through all the development stages and testing stages not to mention manufacturing and distribution), are unlikely to be ready before December, and even then they will be going to front line medical staff, essential personnel and those most at risk.

Am I brainwashed by the MSM? Nope. Just read some actual books by actual epidemiologists and scientists.

5 Likes

It is a big deal for everybody with small kids. I have a 3 year old and a 8 months old and the prospect of getting knocked out for a week or two at the same time as my wife while not being able to get support from from Kindergarden and grand parents due to being quarantined sounds terrible.

If anything, this virus has greatly exposed another pandemic where a sizable number of people show total animosity toward anyone who have views and beliefs they strongly disagree with (to the point where they hope the virus takes all of them out). This has only gotten worse over the last few decades as religion continues to see a decline (as people trade a reliance on a higher power for a reliance on their own primal instincts).

At this point, some parts of the developed world have so much toxicity in everyday discussion it’s sparking rumors that the only way it will end is full blown civil war (ie. one side completely wiped from the Earth). Unlike crises of the past, the United States at least is not seeing the people come together, identify common ground, and work out a plan.

1 Like

Not being dependent on China when it comes to manufacturing would be a good start. It’s one thing to buy cheap electronics from china, but if your country can’t even produce basic medication and health care items, you are basically effed when the next pandemic comes around.

I don’t know how you arrived at this conclusion - but i am not discussing the topic of immigration here. Every Nation handles this differently, as it should be.

3 Likes

One important thing to remember about “statistics with regard to things biological” is that every encounter with an infectious agent is unique to the person being infected. This strain of coronavirus appears to be a moderately more aggressive form of the same family of viruses which – along with rhinoviruses – typically produces “the common cold.” It is no yellow fever, no ebola, no Spanish flu. For most people it is ai juicy cold that lasts about as long as a cold typically does. But anyone can have a worse experience, particularly if they are compromised already. Even “the ordinary seasonal flu” will kill tens of thousands of people worldwide every year.

The precautions that are being advocated are actually very sensible ones: wash your hands, sneeze into your sleeve, avoid touching your eyes. This planet is saturated with viruses and your body is quietly killing them off every day. Very sensible precautions to help break the common pathways by which viruses might enter your body do work! They’ll help you avoid catching cold or the flu, too.

First published in 1841 and describing, among other things, “Tulipmania,” the book Extraordinary Popular Delusions and The Madness of Crowds is still in print today and still as relevant as ever it was. It describes exactly what you are now seeing play-out today. Like this virus itself, it will surely run out its course and then disappear.

1 Like

Biologically speaking, many contagions are first seen in China – remember the “Hong Kong Flu?” – because for one thing it has a massive population! It is also more common for people and [farm …] animals to live in close contact with each other. (Agriculture is not so “corporatized” there. There are many more family and village farms.) Viruses often develop the ability to spread from one animal to another … birds (hence “avian” flu), chickens, pigs (“swine” flu) … and from thence, more or less by random variation repeated billions of times, to develop a strain that is capable of infecting humans. (Whether or not they cause sickness … many can’t!)

This is also one reason why China has many and very sophisticated biological research labs in which they can capture, culture, nucleotide-sequence, and otherwise investigate contagions. When a new strain “breaks out,” you want to capture samples at the source because viruses can mutate very quickly. (The Chinese are also particularly adept at mapping those mutations and thus predicting how mutagenic and therefore how potentially-virulent a particular strain might be.) They were the first to report the existence of this strain. Of course, researchers around the world immediately share information with one another. Probably the largest such laboratory in the United States is in the Centers for Disease Control, headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia.

The effort to counter any disease breakout is worldwide, cooperative, and informed. Because “we all share the same biology, regardless of ideology.”

I meant only that the virus isn’t a big deal for most people’s immune systems to cope with. It’s societal and economic impact will be a huge deal for most people even if their body can fight it off quickly. Children don’t seem to be badly hit symptom-wise, but they’ll still get infected and spread it. Which is why the UK’s policy of keeping schools and nurseries open seems odd. If one kid in a class of 30 gets it then you’ve now got 30 kids with it plus 30 households including siblings who’ll pass it on to everyone in their class too… and on and on.