Cracked Head

Dynamic Sculpt and Cycles.

Hope you like it.

EDIT: please avoid any political comments, it is just a portrait, thanks.

paolo

Looks pretty cool!
My only grief would be the smaller tree. It seems rather out of place.

Very nice, I love that crack! hehe

Are you specializing in political images now, perhaps you should consider moving your art threads to sites like Politico then?

While I can see the fact that today’s world has become too focused on consumerism and wealth, do remember that you don’t have to be an executive to be greedy (those in poverty can be that way too and can affect everyone). You will not end the culture of greed if the people decided the rich will never again be able to afford anything that the common man can’t because you take away the fruits of their labor.

Ski-jump nose. Got to be good ol’ Richard Milhouse…

Lighten up, Ace. Don’t you remember Tricky Dick’s Wage and Price controls? Or his proposal that every American should have a government paid minimum income? Anti-corporate indeed… :rolleyes:

Thank you Bachey!

Ace Dragon, maybe you confuse me with someone else, since I never made political images, and even this one is not political, just a portrait.
To be sincere, I don’t get the meaning of your comment, sadly my English is poor.

paolo

Your understanding of English isn’t the problem, paolo.

Yes Orinoco, it must be him, although I don’t know who this Milhouse is…

paolo

EDIT: Sorry, I really don’t understand, if you care, you should be explicit… and simple.

oops…double post

Ah, Richard Milhous Nixon, 37th President of the United States. His middle name.

Sorry, I really don’t understand, if you care, you should be explicit… and simple.

paolo

Sorry about that, it’s just that it might be seen as anti-corporate imagery due to the impression that the stature is of a rich man having a suit and tie and his head is cracking off of the mountain, the same type of people who a group in our country tried to demonize over the past few years.

It actually would represent an ex President, rich man also I presume, but as a portrait, it’s just my personal attempt to connote the person.
I’m sorry if I gave the impression of wanting to give a political opinion, I just wanted to portray a character.
This of course implies an opinion, a judgement I agree, but not a political opinion, except for the fact that he was a politician, and not rewarding groups or political party, that I even don’t know.

EDIT:
I don’t demonize anybody, not even in my devastated country; we are all responsible for the policy that we have. And this is my only and last political statement.

paolo

Richard Nixon was not a man of great wealth. He once famously quipped that his wife Pat didn’t even own a fur coat, but only a “good Republican cloth coat.” He served as President Eisenhower’s Vice President after the second World War, ran for President when Eisenhower left office and lost to John F. Kennedy. He then lost a race for Governor of California to Pat Brown (the current California governor’s father.) He left the political arena, telling reporters they “won’t have Dick Nixon to kick around anymore.” Nixon re-entered political life in 1968 in a wide open Presidential election, and beat Hubert Humphrey and George Wallace.

It was a close race, and the only reason Wallace did as well as he did (13%) was by appealing to southern Democrats who were upset with Johnson and the national Democratic Party for enacting the Civil Rights Act. Had Wallace not been in the race, Humphrey probably would have won, since southern Democrats were not yet prepared to vote for a Republican. During his time in office Nixon instituted the Republican’s ‘Southern Strategy’ to recruit Wallace’s disaffected Southern Democrats (called Dixiecrats) to join the Republican party. He won a second term, but his paranoia led him to spy on people he considered his enemies, which resulted in the Watergate scandal. He resigned from office rather than be impeached.

He was succeeded by Gerald Ford, who had been appointed Vice President when Spiro Agnew, who ran with Nixon and was elected Vice President, resigned in a bribery scandal dating back to when Agnew was a state officeholder.

A very nice image, sourvinos! You’ve managed to take an interesting idea and execute it very well! Your sculpt combines lovely, realistic looking natural details with a very recognizable caricature of Nixon. The lighting looks spot on, and the extras such as the trees and the bird round it out nicely. Did you use cell fracture to create the crack, or was that part of the sculpting process?

Really great work all around!

nice image,captures the “sculpted out of mountain” effect well.

paolo, that is a great portrait, and very well presented! i love to see how fiirm your sculpting now is, every form is deliberate, and strong here. wonderful work, very inspiring!

James Candy,
Thanks for your appreciation!
For the cracks I tried at first the Cell Fracture, but it gives too regular and straight shapes unless you create thousands of pieces, that is impossible.
I tried with Boolean also, but it refused to work on the sculpted object.
At last I used the Knife Project tool to cut some pieces, the difficult part was to reconstruct the inner faces, and for some other smaller cracks I beveled edges and extruded them inward. All in all the latter was the easiest way, since the Dyna object is in its own already densely subdivided.

paolo

Hi rusted,
Tank you, my attempt was to reproduce the Mount Rushmore effect.

paolo

Hi Miss Doris,
okay it’s Christmas time, but you are too generous in your praises!
Actually I’m getting a bit accustomed to the tools, but I’m far from mastery of them, and I found your workflow suggestions really precious.

Thank you,
paolo

Damian Nachman,
I’m very sorry that I missed your reply, I can’t figure why, since it was the very first!
EDIT: I guess it was due to moderation, since you are a new member, and your reply had a delay.

Thanks for appreciation.

The small tree I took a similar example from a picture of Mount Rushmore, where is a similarly located small tree, and I needed it for composition.

paolo