Ctrl + alt + space and the new contextural menu is the peace of mind

Not long ago I discovered this combination of keys ctrl + alt + space that puts in full screen the 3D view and hides all the gui … and knowing by heart the major shortcurts and with the new contextual W menu I discovered that modeling in this way it is very zen and relaxing and allows you to stay focused on what you do, it is like totally immerse yourself in the 3D environment … for my taste I really like this way of working… large space… and no distractions…

Have you guys ever tried to work with blender in this way?
Try 10 minutes and tell me how it makes you feel
I’m curious about your tastes and opinion about this way

Nah. I like to have my UI visible most of the time. Can’t afford the hassle of opening and closing panels all the time. :smiley:

Always,
when possible.
But for me its the opposite of Zen, more like turbo-mode with hyper-focus. Helps me to get into flow, but its a fast and aggressive one.
Usually i combine it with Drum n Bass or some Metal.
The fast rhythm keeps me constantly at a high pace, hammering shortcuts in my keyboard like a wannabe hacker in an bad 90s movie.

@Romanji
lol …
different minds …
high concentration …
but in your own way, it’s a Zen form, the high focus on the model you work on, somehow leads you to “relax” even if you need highly rhythmic music.
has your mind swathes at high frequencies and is therefore freer than usual …

but do not have anything that distracts you, that raises noise, between you and the work you work on … i know these feelings …

with the storage of the shortcuts, the panels, where possible, is what is relaxing, they are not used …
It is in metaphor how to be naked in a boundless space without anyone disturbing and free from tight uncomfortable clothes and do not make movements easy.
the mind, like the body without gui, moves freely and easily

Now, imagine that with custom, floating windows (always on top) for frequently accessed tools/panels and/or buttons that automate frequently done hotkey/mouse combinations. Would really help with immersion.

Usually I find I toggle out of full screen only to do one little thing, so customizable floating panels would be a dream.

2 Likes

Brace for impact.

1 Like

I have always imagined that the perfect interface is full immersive and fully oriented on the object to work with no gui but panels that open and are invoked with shortcurt and gestures depending on the area of ​​work …
all around the focus object on which you are working, just as it would happen in the physical world …
as a mechanic who adjusts the engine has all the tools around the engine at hand…or a painter who paints the painting has all the brushes and colors at hand near the painting.
without any other distraction, because the used objects are invoked depend on the type of work that takes place …
a sculptor has a hammer and chisel … a painter brushes and colors … an animator other types of tools and so on …
even if you work on the same object and in the same “room” …
:))
one day, with augmented reality, and 3D virtual full immersion, 3D software will have to be rethought in this way … even blender …

1 Like

Lol. I think optional, customizable always-on-top floating panels is only a matter of time. The developers also are aware of the benefits.
For instance, now driver creation utilizes technically a floating panel. If your mouse even accidentally leaves the menu, it closes, which is very annoying, but I doubt that’s the end goal behavior.

It’s not AR, but if you have a VR device, you might be interested in this: BlenderXR: Modeling features development

hehehe exactly!
with this way of interfacing it is inevitable that the interface is rethought in order to make everything interactive as tools around the object on which you work in a totally immersive mode … and taken, with the progress of these modes of interaction, we will discover that this type of interface is comfortable and productive even on traditional screens ^ ___ ^

This is not as immersive as you thought. Speaking from a guy who put almost everything into pie menus and never again read any menu text and solely rely on gestures and motions to keep a very low viscosity and laminar workflow.

Until 2.8 messed with the hotkeys and the workflow become turbulent, not that turbulent workflow is bad, but to a man obsessed with order, turbulent workflow is not acceptable. To make the workflow laminar again, the man had to inject other stuff into his workflow to stabilize the chaos caused by the turbulence, but that also introduced a dramatic increase in viscosity…

Here is the dilemma, to give up or not to give up.

hehehe
in the blender transition 2.8 is obviously a storm in rough seas …
but at the end of the journey when the storm has passed and the new structures are solidified … then everything will be well productive and full immersive …
let’s say that in this tread is more a thought for the next steps … when the screens will be gigantic and the agumented reality the normality …
^ ___ ^

1 Like