Cube (BGE Contest Entry) Demo Out 5/2/09!

Thanks mokazon! Glad you didn’t find it too hard.

If you had any trouble with anything, let me know!

Looks very nice! I like Toon Shade :slight_smile: Shame i can’t play it cause i don’t have GLSL support :frowning: But i liked the gameplay video :slight_smile:
You will work more on it or it is just a BGE contest entry?

You can still play the texface version!
It may not look the same, but it’s still fun!

Oh! Thanks Minifig! Now i can play! :smiley: Very fun indeed! :slight_smile:

Very nice, I like the gameplay! I wish more Blender games were like this, rather then focussing on building a beautilful world with GLSL visuals.

One of my favorite games of all time is Super Mario Galaxy. And despite the very different visuals, the CubeDemo gameplay reminds me of this…

I finished the first level, so … more levels please :wink:
Congrats!
Erwin

I’m glad to see that the AI near sensor problem is fixed with the stable release of 2.49, but I noticed that if you run into a wall for a moment, then the game goes to a blank screen and freezes.:frowning:

Thanks for the compliment Erwin! You may remember me from awhile ago when my screen name was Pooba (I made a few semi-memorable games like Roller), but I’ve been using the BGE pretty much since it was first released :).

My general focus is always on gameplay. You can have the most complex and deep story in the world, but if your gameplay sucks then most people are going to hate it. Fancy graphics can be added later, for now I’ve got simplicity!

Minifig, the bug with the dissapearing has to do with antiscopic friction… I’ve “fixed” it, but it’s a bug that’ll be repaired in 2.49a. The contest entry will work with 2.49. If you want to get the demo working, change the Z antiscopic friction value from 0 to .001 on your character.

-Sam

Umm… OK!
Thanks!

I still am loving the game by the way!
I can hardly wait for another level! (1 level gets a little bit old after about twenty times through… but just a little bit;))

I don’t know if this is a bug or not, but whenever I make the enemies follow me all the way to the start of the level, they cant jump over that one big gap near the start; instead, they jump and fall in it.

Your game is very addicting! Congrats! I just loved schooling those little cubes.

Ha, seems like you’ve been playing waaay too much of my game, getting them to chase you that far back.

You’re not really meant to back track, so it doesn’t matter if they can’t jump that gap. The cubes are meant to be decent at chasing you, but there are places where you can lose them.

Thanks for all the kind words!

-Sam

If you accidentally punch an enemy cube off, then shouldn’t they die?
I had a problem with not being able to continue(the elevator never came down), just fyi.

Awesome game. Love the cartoon effect. Just one thing, the jump key should change from the shift key because sometimes i kept getting that “Do you want to turn on Sticky Keys” message from presing the shift key five times. Other than that a fun game.

It’s a Operating System problem, not a problem with the game. GNU/Linux users, for example, don’t have this problem, i don’t know about Mac OS though.

You can disable that on your Operating System.

Also, you can change the game keys on BGE.

Do you guys have alternative key configs that you think would work better? I’d like to have something that would work on different keyboard layouts (thus my decision to use arrows instead of WASD), but space doesn’t work because on certain keyboards 2 of the direction keys + space doesn’t register.

-Sam

Ctrl is commonly used for jump…
I believe it works with 2 arrow keys as well.
(I do have that problem with the space bar though)

This looks amazing! Keep up the good work!

this is fun as! Nice work!

I added this to the contest page, but I figured I should upload it here as well.

Hope you like it!

http://www.samtregillus.com/CubeContestRelease.blend

Woot!
I win!
I loved the second level, and the ! over their heads.:yes:

Mhmm, runs insanely slow on my machine.

Any idea why?

Looks really fun though! I hope I can play it soon!