Curve Modifier Not Working?

Hi,
i wanted to make this set of ICO spheres flow on the curve but for some reason it doesn’t work and it deformes the spheres in a weird way.

I double checked for normals, applied scale etc…and it all seems alright, the only thing that pops to my mind is that i got the curve object from a mesh but i don’t know if this could influence the outcome of the curve modifier, these are the current settings of the curve

1 Like

Hey, your 2nd pic is of the ‘Curve’ its self. If you are using an ‘Array’ mod and a ‘Curve’ mod on your ico - make sure array is set to the curve. If you just have an array mod on your ico (un-parented) do CTRL + P > Curve Deform. Make sure you dont have un applied Rot/Scale.

I do this a bit differently…You can’t use an ico-sphere on the curve as you tried…
1>
Use an array modifier and then a Curve modifier…select the Icosphere and then shift select the curve. Under Object > Parent > Follow Path ( all curves are Paths ) Make sure to add the curve AFTER the array…then set your constant distance…

2>
The way you were going calls for Under Geometry >Object ( a CURVE ) like a Curve > Circle…

Then hit ‘play’ and see what happens…
If you add an ‘array’ mod to an object then give it a ‘curve’ mod, as soon as you select the ‘Curve Object’ it will instantly jump on the path, same with CTRL+P > Curve Deform, this just adds the mod for you and parents the object to the curve.
Doing it the way you described only works till you change frames - why? because you parented it to a ‘path’, (which has an fcurve) WITH a ‘curve’ mod on it, your telling it to do 2 different things. Remember anything parented to something has the possibility/probability to inherent something. :grinning:

Sorry. but nobody mentioned a thing about animation!

1 Like

I indeed used an Array and Curve modifier on the Ico sphere and i set the Array to “Fit Curve” and i still get this result:

These are the settings on the Ico Sphere Modifier:

Scale and Rotation are already applied

Ok, so here is what could be happening, If the ico is not parented to the curve, and you move / transform it, distortion will happen. To fix this the ‘Curve’ object needs to have its Loc transforms ‘cleared’ (0,0,0 world space), same goes with the ico - only then do you parent your ico to the curve(Object), then you can do what ever transforms to the curve and the icos stay put.
IF this is not the case then you may have ‘Evaluation Time’ on your curve, also make sure there are no constraints on those items.

Yes, I know, but you missed my point.

I cleared Location and Parent The Ico Sphere to the Curve…Still get same result…

If you guys wanna have a go and check it out for yourself here’s the file:

HelpMe.blend (757.4 KB)

Hey, Select curve > edit mode > select all points > set radius to 1.000 = Fixed

Sorry where do i set the radius in edit mode? I’m relatively new to the program and i’m still learning and by the way what caused this malfunction? I thought i modeled the curve right, i didn’t touch any of this radius stuff you’re talking about. Thanks

Maybe increase the scale of the icosphere?

I usually dont have problems with the curve and array modifier, did you make sure to have the array modifier at the top of the stack?

Yeah the Array Modifier is at the top of the stack

1 Like

hmm, well that is weird, i will look at the project file right now.

Thanks a lot

Okay…I found your error…you need to add a beizer curve, not a deformed mesh.

If you don’t know what I am talking about here is the file I edited:
Ifixedit.blend (665.2 KB)

Well ok…Is there a way to fix what i’ve already done instead of re-doing it with the bezier?

Just follow what @Aj8841 said to do with the radius…and as well you can scale up the icosphere as it is very small…
The radius is under…Select Curve>Edit Mode>Curve>Transform>Radius and set to 1.00 top slot…
Then you can adjust the offset in the array modifier to fit the icosphere better on the curve as there is one on the 90-degree section that gets squashed…you will see it…
Note if you want the curve to display in render mode…you will have to set the bevel on the curve N-Panel>Curve>Geometry>Bevel>Depth … I set it to no more than 0.001 as everything is very small in this. You don’t have to change anything with the curve.

HelpMeExample.blend (781.7 KB)

2 Likes