Updates to the forward torpedo room…

1 Like

how many verts up to now ?

very nice with lots of details

did you try to port it to EEVEE

should render way faster then Cycles !

happy cl

Hello Mark06GT!
This is really a great job with the sub. Thumbs up!

A few days ago I started exactly the same job in Rhino3D to build my own model for Virtual Reality. Got the frames, the deck and the envelope of the pressure hull so far. And now I found that you did the complete job already.
So my question is: do you give your model away? I’m strongly interested in it. Even if it costs some money. It would be for private purpose only for my Oculus Rift VR. Although I own a lot of drawings it would take a few months to build my own.

Ricky, sorry for the long delay in answering.

The boat is at about 8.2 million verts. I have not tried to work with this model in 2.8. (I tried working in 2.8 with another model prior to 2.8’s release and had problems. I’ll probably finish this one off in 2.79)

Jamira, I sent you a private message with my email address in it. Send me an email and we can work out details.

I’ve been texturing the model using Mari. Updates below…

3 Likes

are you going to make some images with annotations to explain or give a name for each parts we see ?

thanks
happy bl

At some point, I’ll probably do an orthographic version with a key identifying various items on and in the boat. Similar to what I did with my HMS Holland, but with many more items identified.

1 Like

I can see a red shaft with some universal joint at top of model inside
what is it ?

on some parts they are still hard edges
did you try to use the new bevel node to get smoother look ?

thanks
happy bl

Really amazing stuff and it’s seem we share the same passion since i am finishing one that i started when i was learning blender modeling after my switch from Max a few month ago.

Just need to UV it and texture it but with my game i don’t have time for it now. I was not planning for interior since there is way too much work for my poor tendons!

If you ever need authentic 88 mm deck gun pictures i have it all at high resolution from a museum but i cannot share publicly so just pm me if you want them.

Here 2 pictures :

3 Likes

You did an outstanding job on the exterior. I sent you a PM with my email.

Do you happen to have any good material for the interior of the conning tower? I have not been able to find enough reference material to make a cutaway for that section of the boat.

Thanks.

I’m not sure what the red shaft is. It runs from the control room to the stern of the boat and terminates outside of the pressure hull. If I had to guess, I would guess it is connected to the stern torpedo tube outer doors, but that’s just a guess.

I’ll be subdividing all the objects, so I won’t need the bevel modifier on this project, but I plan to play with it in the future.

I did a lot of research and was able to gather enough information’s and pictures to get it 95% accurate if not more.

subdi is nice but it also will increase Verts count too
Bevel node does not increase verts count and should give same effect
check it out

red shaft
strange seems to go into a box near the main engine
but was it to control power , speed or else?

happy bl

I asked someone who is currently creating a u-boat simulator if he knew what the red shaft does. He said, “That’s the main ballast tank 1 vent valve. Allows water into the main ballast tank (rear of the sub) when opened to submerge the sub. There’s a similar for tank 5 running forward of the control room to the front tank.”

You can see some his progress here (Uboat engine room simulator). It is really impressive how much mechanical detail he has built into his simulator. (Skip ahead to time frame 1:12 to jump to the engine room simulator)

There was a steering mechanism either from central or conning tower to correct torpedo adjustments short before launch. I assume it was this chain of shafts. This poor guys had neither computers nor WLAN or bluetooth …

interesting video
he did give some explanations how the motors / generators work
which is impressive now I understand the dual mode !

thanks
happy bl

wait a second they did have some sort of computer to calculate the torpedo
path as I remember it
but it was more a mechanical then a PC LOL
it had a mechanical integrator to do the calculation
which is a complex mechanical thing to do

happy bl

I’ve checked my drawings of the boat. They are mostly general plans, not much details. Details only for:

• UZO

• main periscope

• rear torpedo section (including some details of the outer stern construction)

• propeller

• upper tower hull for FuMG/FuMB

• Electroacustic

All with dimensions.

My plan is to visit the original boat in Laboe again during September. Probably I will do this to find out more details. They offer guided tours there. Could be a good chance to ask selective questions and take special photos. Unfortunately it’s not allowed to enter the conning tower. Same with the outer deck … at least a few years ago.

Just send me a PM with your special questions. If I really do the ride to Laboe (5 hours!), I will probably find some answers.

Here is a link to download the photos of my last visit:

Hi Mark you probably already have this one here with the torpedo data computer since it is easily available on Google image but just in case ;

You also have a few here from U-995 http://www.tvre.org/en/torpedo-fire-control-system-on-german-u-boats

I will have a look at my extensive collection to see if i have something on it but i think if i remember correctly i only had plans of it.

I look in my entire collection and i only found 2 more but with the one already post i could do a pretty good job only based on these and plans. I need to find these plans since i don’t remember where i put them and i have ton of stuff on that 1 terabyte drive!

You have a lot of instruments repetition in a u-boat so you have the torpedo data computer, telegraph, compass, depth gauge etc.

GLAM2010%20das%20boot%205%20600

And guess what happend to me 15 years ago: I rented a flat in a house of a former U-boat commander. Well, he died long time ago in 1991. He was commander of a IXC and later of a XXI! Holy crap … a XXI! Too sad he died so early. Would have been amazing to talk to him.

Thank you all for the additional links and images. You can never have too much reference material.

Jamira - I don’t have any specific questions, but thank you for the offer. You definitely missed an opportunity to talk to the commander. I’m sure he had stories to tell.

Polynut - good point about duplicate equipment. I may have already modeled many of the parts that might be found in the conning tower. I may be able to piece something together.

Ricky - Yes, the torpedo computers were mechanical. I recently saw a documentary on US subs. The firing pins and depth control on our torpedoes were crap, but our fire control systems were apparently mechanical marvels. They used spherical cams to mechanically calculate trigonometric equations for torpedo courses. The computers were connected to the periscope and sonar equipment so that data was automatically input.