Cutaway Type VII U-Boat WIP

Find even more with a little more digging here are some from U-564 and U-234

Here another from U-505 even if it is a Type IX-C the coning tower interior must have been very similar ;

What took close to 40% of the space was the attack periscope here ;

Here is misc pictures from unknown U-boat except for the color one that is probably from U-995 in Laboe. ;

Hope this help you.

seems there was sort of 2 computers for the torpedo

see pics here from these sites

also check these site got some interesting photos for VIIC

U boat VII torpedo computer

https://www.reddit.com/r/submarines/comments/c6ug1v/the_torpedo_data_computer_for_u995_type_viic41/
http://tvre.org/en/torpedo-fire-control-system-on-german-u-boats

The gyro angle receiver for forward torpedo tubes

The torpedo data computer for U-995 (Type VIIC/41 U-boat)

this is more like a computer nightmare LOL

also check wiki

a tutorial on how it worked

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=203334

happy bl

WWII doc from UK I think
in WWII they were doing some document with colors

here is example of image in these WWII books

yours are better then these old ones LOL

I even did an XCELL program to calculate some of the targeting systems
for torpedo and even gun just for the fun of it !

here is Cam calculator for range

happy bl

I got these from a site for 3D model
does it help ?

I can add other pics let me know

happy bl

I think I’m good for reference materials right now, but I do appreciate the extra images. You never know when you’ll find one that shows something you missed.

Control room textured…

Cumulative interior texture progress…

5 Likes

The forward officer’s compartment’s been textured. Only one more compartment to go (forward torpedo room). Then I can go back and work on the frames and interior of the pressure hull.

Cumulative progress…

FULL SIZE LINKS
Forward bunks 1
Forward bunks 2
Cumulative progress

3 Likes

are these textures like the ones you saw when you did your visit to the sub ?

I mean wood panel inside a sub !

happy bl

I’ve never been to this submarine. I’ve based all my texturing on pictures from the Internet. Submarines often had nicer sections in them to help give the crews some relief from the otherwise oppressive environment. U-Boats’ officer’s quarters were often covered with wooden panels to make them feel more comfortable.

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Cutaway Type VII U-Boat WIP:

Hi Mark

Love your work and would be interested in buying the model is it available anywhere?

I sent you a PM with my email address. We can talk easier via email.

Thanks

Hello Mark. You done an awesome job recreating that U-boat interiors.

Can you please make some screenshots of this interiors from topdown perspective? I want a refference to draw a U-boat for my tabletop game.

I’m not sure if this will help. I’m in the process of migrating my projects to 2.8 and my uboat project is in a bit of disarray after the migration. I put an orthographic camera above the model and made this render. Will this help you or do you need close ups of each compartment? As you can see, some of my texture paths have become lost (hence the pink areas). If this doesn’t help you, let me know and I might be able to do something better, but I’m not actively working on this project right now, so I’m not sure how much time I’ll have to get it organized in 2.8. I can easily do close ups of each compartment if that will help. It was just easier for me to put an orthographic camera above the whole model and do a single render.

If you right click on the image and open it in a new tab, I think it will be larger than what shows up on this page.

2 Likes

Yea. its pretty nice, but the close ups of each compartment should be better. Thank you!

I apologize for the quality of these renders. The migration to 2.8 messed some things up. I’ve obviously lost some texture paths and my collections are a jumble. I don’t have time to re-organize this project right now. I hope these renders will help you.

What exactly are you going to do with these? Are you making some kind of board game?

3 Likes

Just looking at your interior and my tendons hurt! :sweat_smile:

It will be an asset for tabletop roleplaying games with miniatures inspired by Das Boot movie.

Thanks for your help, much aprreciated!

1 Like

Hi
Absolutely fantastic drawings. Im building the Trumpeter 1/48 Uboat so am very interested.
A couple of small corrections if you dont mind.
The Fans on the Electric Motors in the Aft Electric room. The closest one (starboard) in your drawing is 180 degrees out. The Port one faced the Engine room. The starboard one faced Aft.
And the Central Control room walls were concaved slightly.
And the Central Control Room floor was very concaved at the edges not flat.
cheers

Thanks for the comment and corrections.

1. I’ll look at the fans. That might not be too hard to fix.

2. The floor in my model’s control room is actually concave, but the cut-away and equipment make it hard to see since I cut the curved part pretty close to where the flat central flooring is.

3. I know the control room walls are supposed to be bowl-shaped, but I didn’t realize that until I was pretty far along in the model. I’m not sure I can fix that now without lots of work. I might leave that mistake as is.

I didn’t realize it has been 7 months since I last worked on this. Maybe I should get back to it…

Hi Mark. I am looking for a VII model for use in a Unity project. I came across your model and would like to know if you are interested in selling your work? [email protected]