Cutaway Type VII U-Boat WIP

This is just magnifique. Awesome, totaly great!

That’s gotta be the busiest, most detailed model I’ve ever seen. Wow!

Finished texturing the forward torpedo room.

Frames and pressure hull interior are next.

General layout so far…

Marius Dornean is doing some very cool simulation work using parts of this model. Definately worth checking out his stuff:

4 Likes

Deck plating modeled. Much more tedious than I thought it would be.

Conning tower details next…

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Cutaway Type VII U-Boat WIP:

Hi Mark - I’d love to be able to purchase this model. Is it available for sale?

I sent you my email address in a PM. It’s easier to talk via email.

Hello Mark,

I’m very impressed with your fascinating work. I have been developing a big submarine board game for almost 7 years and for the damage model I could use renderings of your work very well. Would it be possible to get the pictures for a fee, of course? I can send you pictures of the current state of my game.

Best regards

Friedemann

I’ve sent you a PM with my email address. We can talk about your project easier that way. Let me know what you need and I’ll try to help.

As long as I’m posting here…updates on the conning tower…

I appreciate your willingness to provide these views for others to use as blueprints of sorts.

Incredible workmanship!

Updates to the conning tower and some additional interior renders…

1 Like

On the poop deck, of course!

My interpretation of a 8.8 cm sk c/35 (not a lot of contemporary photographs so some of this is conjecture)

2 Likes

@Mark06GT a lot of the images that you host on Google are broken. Can you just upload them here instead?

I had no idea. Thank you for telling me.

1 Like

nice canon

any idea what was the use for the wire thing around the main canon ?

do you have a lot more details to be done
it is an amazing thread on that sub

are you going to write a book on this sub ?

happy cl

Ricky,

The rope around the barrel was attached to the protective cap fitted to the muzzle. While submerged, the cap was placed on the end of the barrel to protect the inside of the gun. When in operation, the cap was removed and placed on the small circle in the front of the pedestal. The rope was there to prevent the cap from being lost if it were dropped or came off the gun.

I’m about done with the modeling now. I’m starting UV layout on the exterior today. Then I’ll start painting (a step that I have really been looking forward to!)

I have no big personal plans for the model. I might make a poster of it for my office and I might use the exterior in a few renders I’m thinking about.

The model is being used by other people for a board game, a movie and an on-line simulator.

They didn’t use a gearbox to drive both shafts. If you wanted to run both props off a single diesel engine, they would run electric current from the operational diesel to both electric motors. The electric motors would then turn both props.

Marius Dornean has a very detailed explanation of uboat engine operations here:
Uboat drivetrain

American boats used a similar system called “diesel-electric drive”: US Boats.

Germany’s Elefant tank used a similar system (diesel engines creating electric current that went to electric motors that turned the drive sprockets). It eliminates the need for a heavy-duty drive shaft and transmission. It also has torque advantages.

i read the German site
and it would require a more electrical explanation for the double acting function

there was some sort of generators and electric motor combination
to work and have a variable speed output
so that is a bit more complicated system.

happy bl

It is significantly more complicated than my explanation. I just wanted to give a simple summary.

i found a E-book giving more explanations on how the VII works
have a look

http://www.uboatarchive.net/Manual/Manual.htm

it does not detail all the different modes the motors can work
and the drive dwg shows like 3 motors but no description
for each of these motor !

happy bl