Deathmatch Ruins

Yep, cut those out from a photo, then created a copy and added small flowers. So I have the top half of the texture for long grass and the bottom half for shorter grass, and since they’re similar the blend well together. Seems the more transparent the grass the better, you start noticing the shapes of the planes if they’re too thick.

Glad you think there’s a nice balance of open space and clutter, to be honest I’d hit my poly limit, but I would have stopped adding props soon anyway, it’s easy to over clutter a level and make it feel claustrophobic. Also in reality it would be a pretty spartan location.

SSAO will be added in the blender GE version, along with DOF, so it should look real nice. Compared to blender, I thnk 3dsmax is really basic when it comes to viewport shading unless you have DX shaders for everything, I must look into that sometime.

Anyway thanks for the CC and I’ll definitely be taking this into blender so more eye-candy soon ! Once I create all those normal maps !

Kev.

Attachments

Wow that looks great :smiley:
And no problem!

WOW! just WOW.
All looks as pretty as I coudn’t believe it’s BGE.
Excellent work!

Really cool work, huge sense of detail in those scenes.

One main thing that bothers me though is your ‘drab’ colour pallet. Very boring! Heres some quick colour corrections + enhanced brightness/contrast:

http://a.imageshack.us/img153/7395/beforeafter1.th.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img442/8982/beforeafter2e.th.jpg

Even a bit of subtle bloom helps smooth out the overall image:
http://a.imageshack.us/img153/3499/beforeafter3.jpg

Of course BGE sucks with realtime shaders atm, so bloom might be a bit too much…

Kev2m, about that site that you put your projects to sell, how that work? can you explain me?

Hey Leon, I sell loads of stuff on www.turbosquid.com, it’s free to join and basically they host your models and take a 40-50% cut of the sales, so you sell a $100 model and you get $50. Seems like a big cut I know, but Turbosquid has by far the most site traffic and is the most used 3d model marketplace. I’ve tried other sites and hardlly sold a thing. I reckon I make about $500 a month on average from TS royalties, although it’s getting really popular now so lot’s have folk have pro quality models on their so the competition’s getting feirce.

They also have a game-ready certification for models aimed at the games industry, so they check the model and textures for game compliance, reassuring any potential buyers your model is ready to go in game.

There isn’t a big blender community there as yet, just a few models in blend format, but it’s growing !

Hope that helps, you should head on over and check it out.

Kev.

Hey Edge, glad you like it and I agree with you on the colour pallet being a bit drab, I reckon your retouching is a bit over-saturated though, about halfway between mine and yours would be about right.

These aren’t shots from BGE (yet!) they’re just from the max viewport, (you can see the polycounter in the top-right) I just posted them to show you my workflow, modelling and texturing in max then taking into blender and adding normal maps, SSAO / DOF filters a a few other things from my bag of tricks !

At this stage I’m about finished with it in max and ready to import to Blender. I still have to create normal maps for everything before actually exporting.

Anyway thanks everyone for all the comments and more screens (from BGE!) soon.

Kev.

thanks kev2m I ll try out, check this video that i made , see if its good to put there or not.

About copyrights, i need to make a license term for the object? or something like that? And I still can use the objects that I m uploading on the site?
Thanks for the reply!

Hi Leon, I checked out your video on youtube, and it’s seriouslly good, this would be one of the best game environments on Turbosquid (besides mine of course (haha)) You could even publish the whole enviro, at a higher price, and sell the props such as sunlounger, tv unit, etc seperatelly as standalone props. Something I’ve meant to do but never get round to.

Do you have other versions of the model ? I guess you can export it to different formats when your finished, I can’t see a big market for the blend file (yet) but the 3ds, fbx or max would be a really popular asset. Is that all modeled / textured in blender or do you export from MAX, or another program ?

The licenses on Turbosquid are just for models that have trademarked logos on such as Firestone on tyres etc. So it kinda gets you out of any lawsuits that may arise. Before they used to just take the models down (like all my H&K guns) so atleast now it allows you to publish models with trademarks on. It’d be damn hard to model realistic cars, without using any copyrighted materials.

Nice bandana BTW You been watching Karate Kid ?

Kev.

AHAHA, no, i dint, you mean the Barnabé s bandana? its inspired on Rambo.
And I can create other version of the models too.
Really thanks Kev! with your tips I hope to raise some money, Im brankrupt right now, my company isnt is growing very well, and i ll need to find a way to get some money.
You are a very good artist and its hard to see your level of work on this foruns, congratulations, and if you need help with something please let me know.
Oh, i ll put that scene on the turbosquid, but if you want any model that I use i can send to you for free, maybe it helps you to build your next level, i know that you dont need my help, but it ll save you some time.
Thanks again

AHAHA, no, i dint, you mean the Barnabé s bandana? its inspired on Rambo.
And I can create other version of the models too.
Really thanks Kev! with your tips I hope to raise some money, Im brankrupt right now, my company isnt is growing very well, and i ll need to find a way to get some money.
You are a very good artist and its hard to see your level of work on this foruns, congratulations, and if you need help with something please let me know.
Oh, i ll put that scene on the turbosquid, but if you want any model that I use i can send to you for free, maybe it helps you to build your next level, i know that you dont need my help, but it ll save you some time.
Thanks again

Hi Leon, No worries, let me know how you get on with Turbosquid, it was a little fiddly for me to get set-up and start recieving royalties, (had to get a ITIN being a non-US resident) but after that it’s pretty much plain sailing.

Turobsquid’s been great for me, it’s always provided a little suplemental income and I’ve even been contacted for work by people who’ve seen or bought my models.

Thanks for the offer, but I usually like to model everything myself so it’s all consistent. And anyway your stuff’s too good to give away ! Get it on Turbosquid and a get a rake to collect all the money !

BTW is your scene from the video using a bloom filter ? I’ve been looking for a good bloom filter for blender but it might be overkill with the SSAO and DOF running aswell.

Cheers,

Kev.

Hi Folks, I’ve got the ruins model into blender now, haven’t really done any of the materials but I took some screengrabs from BGE anyway. I’ve just saved a copy of Deathmatch Factory, deleted everything and imported the ruins.3ds, so lot’s of work still to be done but it’s a good starting point.

Enjoy !

Kev.

Attachments

Kev I use this filter its a retinex script wrote by Martinsh with some modifications i hope you like it:

uniform sampler2D bgl_RenderedTexture;

uniform float retinex = -1.400;

vec4 sample( in vec2 coord )
{
return texture2D(bgl_RenderedTexture, coord )0.5texture2D(bgl_RenderedTexture, coord )*0.5;
}

void main(void)
{

vec4 bloom = vec4(0);

int j;
int i;

for( i= -5 ;i < 5; i++)
{
for (j = -5; j < 5; j++)
{
bloom += sample (gl_TexCoord[0].st + vec2(j, i)*0.002) * 0.06;
}
}

vec4 value = texture2D(bgl_RenderedTexture, gl_TexCoord[0].st);
vec4 pow_value = pow(value,(bloom*retinex));

gl_FragColor = pow_value*value;

}

I usually set the filters to work better with the scene, is not a very consistent setup since the only thing that I do is change the values of the script, but works fine for me, and nice work again man!
And thanks

Hi Folks, I’ve ran into a couple of problems with Deathmatch Ruins maybe you guys know a solution ?

Firstlly my grass appears transparent when I know it’s supposed to be solid, the opacity map is pure black and pure white so the grass should appear solid. I’ve tried using jpgs and a tga, with no difference, is there something in the materials that I need to change ?

Also curved surfaces, like the barrels in the screengrab now appear faceted and not smooth. All my smoothing was applied in max and exported as a 3ds, so it should have remained intact, but hasn’t.

BTW Thanks for the bloom script Leon, I’ll have to look into that.

Cheers,

Kev.

Attachments

About the smoothness, just go on the editing tab and select the faces that you want to smoth and press the set smoth button.
About the opacity of the material i think that if you use the setting that I m showing on the image bellow you ll have a good result, if not, try to upload the grass image file, then we can help you better.
And I have a question for you, you said that you export projects from the 3ds and import them on blender, right? I m trying to export my blend files to 3ds and It doesnt work well, I want to chenge it to upload on turbosquid, you know something that can help me?
Thanks

Hmmm… I tested the grass pics you posted above and it turned out fine… On the black/white picture, did you turn off the “use alpha” button in the texturing panel?
gill

Kev2m,
Wow ur stuff looks outstanding for real,its got an impressive amount of details and i loved it! i hope to someday become a great modeler ,just like u :smiley:
Gratz for the progress so far!
Leonnn,
Parabens brother que belo trabalho,realmente vc mandou muito bem no design das decoraçoes e detalhes da casa!!
Translation- gratz brother for the great job shown in that video, and u really rocked on the decoration s design and the house details!
All the best,
ShortK

Hey Folks

Leon - our materials basically the same, only I’m using the GLSL materials and not TexFace, they’re slightlly different but alpha are the same. I need to have z buffering on for it to work at all but it’s still see through where it shouldn’t be. Thanks for the smoothing tip too, I used to do it this way with the old blender which had the face select mode, now that’s gone (Anyone know where to ?) so I can’t select faces only vertices. I found it quite easy this way, just select 1 face, press L(or ctrl L maybe) and it would select linked faces, then you hit smooth, easy peasy.

Gill, good idea, but yep it’s off, I figured that wasn’t needed since the image has no alpha channel. Anything else you can think of ?

Shortkey, glad you like it so far, just the wish the grass looked more like the max version, workin on it though.

PS I know my stone normal map sucks, it’s a placeholder ! Isn’t that what folks say when their demo looks awful ? Haaha !

Attachments

Forgot to mention to Leon - I’ve only tried exporting from max to blender, and 3ds is the best way I know of. Unless anyone knows different ? A way from Max to Blend while keeping smoothing intact ? That’s my holy grail at the moment.

I think if I explode everything by smoothing group in max, import to blender, then set everything to smooth, without welding vertices, or remove doubles, that seems to work. Although you do that and you can’t weld vertices or remove doubles, because it trys to turn everything into a sphere, if you know what I mean. So you have tonnes of duplicate vertices in the same place. That make sense ? Good