DECALmachine

Hello,

I"m using blender for a little time now, mainly for architecural renders. When I came across your addon, I just asked myself if it can be used to add dirt, stains, cracks and all sort of imperfections directly by patching up the model with stickers.
I didn’t find any example of that use in the comments or elsewhere. Do you have an example of alternate uses of your addons ?

Thanks !

1 Like

If the imperfections have a normal map and diffuse map, I can see it would be doable, using something like Shadermap or ‘Materialize’ to create the inital textures to apply to the decal resource.

v1.8.1 is out | Gumroad | BlenderMarket

• add optional update check
    • appears in pie menu once update is available
  • work around issue in Unwrap (alternative mode) and Decal Creation, due to open Blender bug
  • fix rare panel decal UV over or under stretching in Slice and Unwrap
  • fix Normal Transfer defaults not being enforced by Shrinkwrap
  • optimze addons check on preferences - about page
1 Like

It depends on how far you want to take it.

If you are fine with cracks being textured via normal-ao-curvature only, then sure, absolutely.

If you also need a color texture in addition, than no. not yet, not until I’ll add textured decals, which is on my road map, but have no date.

For stains and dirt, I suppose you could use info decals, which are decals using a color and alpha texture.

For your cracks, you would need a model of it and then create it as a simple decal from geometry, like so.

Made a short demo of what you can expect. The cracks model is simple here, but you could sculpt this to add more detail.
You could also use a displacement map and displace it from a very dense mesh instead of sculpting.

And for dirt and stains, you could hijack info decals.

6 Likes

Hello MACHIN3 and every one , i know the textured decal will come in some future and the bake decals down will come in the 1.9 release but in the mean time… does someone have a workarround to make a decal ( normalmap decal ) fuse with the texture of the model?
Lets say I have a carbon fiber texture on my model and I want to make a hardsurface detail on it but it has to be carbon fiber aswell, thanks in advance for your comments !

These are the steps:

• bake decal normal maps to active(parent object)
    • this results in a mostly flat normal map with just the decals
  • bake down the decal subset masks, if you have subset decals
    • this results in a mostly black map, which just some white spots for the subsets
  • combine your carbon normals with decal normals in the areas where the subset mask is black in a 2d tool or substance painter or substance designer
1 Like

Now you should make a triplet with a welding effect through panel decals :x

hello , thanks for the tip machin3, it kind of works but i dont know what am I doing wrong, it duplicates the map in the other side of the sphere and also I think that it doesn’t bakes the paralax , maybe blender isn’t capable of baking paralax …?

-------------with decals------

-----------Baked normal maps-----------

---------- something strange in the back of the sphere --------

----------map

settings---------

thanks for your time !

Of course not. It’s a shader effect, you can’t bake it. You can bake down the height maps however, but parallax doesn’t work well across UV islands, as explained earlier.

I’ve noticed the same 2 weeks ago or so when I did some early testing.
This might be a Blender bug, and should be reported to confirm.
In my test, I could work around it by applying a Solidify mod to the sphere with a very small thickness amount.

You can also see how the colors are off, producing this greenish color. This looks a lot like another Blender bug and should also be reported.
You can fix that by just inverting the blue channel of the affected areas.

Edit: actually just set B to -Z

okay thanks for your reply, Machin3 i’ll wait then until it’s resolved

thaanks !!:smiley:

It likely won’t resolve itself. It will need to be reported. I’ll do it once I start working on exporting. But If sb. does it now, it may save time.

okay I’m gonna report it to blender then!

:blush:

1 Like

When you do, don’t talk about DECALmachine or decals. Keep it general. You want to bake a normal map from one object to another.

Thanks for the tips !

Well, that seems very interesting, I’m gonna watch your tutorials to learn more about that function. I’m looking forward for your work about textured decals too !

Have a nice day !

1 Like

Grease Pencil > Panel Decal (preview for 1.9)

16 Likes

holy s*!t…
wooow

Would that be something that could be utilized in meshmachine/plugs as well in some way?

Hats off to you Sir, you never cease to amaze me.

4 Likes

You always make our jaw drop.
How did you get those magic powers?

2 Likes

Blender + Python 24/7 for 3 years, after 17 years of doing design and cg.

7 Likes

It could for sure. It could also be used for decal placement.