Developer Meeting Notes

Is this currently being worked on, or can Quadriflow already be found somewhere in the latest master builds? Or is it just integrated in the cloth system, and not applicable to meshes?

it does read as such, but too vague to be 100% sure.

1 Like

The word “material” is not explicitly used and that is a long term todo.
So, I don’t think this will happen before many years of wait.

It could simply describe the ability for a brush to paint on several textures of material or to paint on several vertex color layers or paint and sculpt at same time.
There is literraly no description of this task.
And that is not sure that devs are knowing what level of complexity they want to reach in 2.8, yet.
Parent task has lots of questions listed below Under Discussion section.

No, not yet.
That is a remeshing library. It will be used by remeshing tools.
I think “cloth patches” mentioned are just other stuff Sebastian will work on.
There is currently a GSOC about adaptive remeshing for Cloth. It does not use quadriflow.

As another snapping mode, it is probably easier to handle mixing of several snapping targets.
By pressing A, you can define several targets and what should be snapped is snapped at a median point.
As is, you can choose a point lambda on an edge and edge center on another one, and snapping will occur on the middle of line between those points.
As an option of edge mode, expected behavior would have been to exclude one ability (only center of edge or any point on edge).

In terms of usability, it would allow what I wrote. But in term of discoverability, it would not be intuitive at all.

He just took an example of what would be too many snapping modes.
He did not ask Blender developers to copy that.

Giving the ability to snap elements on Blender’s Curve objects would not be an aberration.
Bezier Curves are used a lot.

That is probably an UI problem that is not specific to Snapping pop-up but present whatever pop-up you call (except F9).

3 Likes

Just a heads-up. I’ve split the discussion about snapping to a new thread. Please continue discussion on that topic there.

6 Likes

Notes for meeting of 2 September 2019.

Announcements

• Julian Eisel is now working full time for Blender in a 4 month contract.
  • Nathan Lovato (gdquest) has been granted commit access to contribute Power Sequencer: video editing tools in the add-ons repository.
  • The patches for the sculpt branch are finished, except for the transform tool. ( Pablo Dobarro )
  • We started to organize “mentorship” tasks for developers - T69403 and T69399 . ( Campbell Barton )
  • These tasks will be readable by everyone, but writable by the developers only, as a way to keep the conversation between the involved parts without too much noise, while keeping our communication open for the public . ( Dalai Felinto )
  • Shadow refactor for EEVEE is ready for review . ( Clément Foucault )
  • We have a landing page and a corresponding tag for all our modules now . ( Dalai Felinto )
  • Today is the last day of the Google Summer of Code. Final students report will be made public soon. ( Dalai Felinto )

New Features and Changes

Sculpt and Retopology

• Sculpt cursor follows the surface normal and displays symmetry. ( Pablo Dobarro )
  • Normal radius setting for sculpt tools, to control how sensitive the sculpt normal direction is to the underlying surface. ( Pablo Dobarro )
  • World spacing option for brush strokes, to keep an even distance between stroke points in 3D space. ( Pablo Dobarro )
  • Poly build tool improvements for retopology. (video ) ( Pablo Dobarro )
    • Click and drag from a boundary edge extrudes a new quad.
    • Click and drag on vertices tweaks the position.
    • Ctrl + click adds geometry, with geometry preview and automatic creation of quads.
    • Shift + click deletes mesh elements (faces or vertices).

Rendering

• Cycles adaptive subdivision and displacement now stitches faces to avoid cracks between edges. ( Mai Lavelle )
  • Eevee shader compilation was optimized to only parse the required shader node code. ( Omar Ahmad, Brecht Van Lommel )

Transform

• When auto merging vertices, adjacent edges and faces can now be automatically split to avoid overlapping geometry. This is controlled by the new “Split Edges & Faces” option for Auto Merge. ( Germano Cavalcante )

• Transform parent without children option added. ( Campbell Barton )
  • Origin edit can now be toggled with ctrl . ( Campbell Barton )

Batch Rename

Where you could previously rename the active item with F2, you can now also batch rename all selected items with Alt F2. ( Campbell Barton )

• Find & replace, with regular expressions
  • Set, prefix or suffix
  • Strip characters
  • Change capitalization

Other

• Grease Pencil ( Antonio Vazquez )
    • Switch active layer automatically when selecting keyframes in the dopesheet.
    • Opacity modifier gained a Strength mode, to use the strength of the stroke instead of the alpha channel of the material.
  • Constraints ( Alexander Gavrilov )
    • Copy Scale: option to copy non-uniform scale as uniform.
    • Copy Rotation: option to explicitly specify the Euler order used during copy.
    • Transform: options to explicitly specify the input and output Euler order.
  • Drivers: option to override the Euler order and access quaternion values for driver variables. ( Alexander Gavrilov )
  • User Interface:
    • Support joining areas that are not exactly aligned. ( Harley Acheson )
    • Various layout improvements for popup dialogs. ( Yevgeny Makarov )
    • Outliner alphabetical sorting now uses more natural sorting of numbers. ( Harley Acheson )
  • Workbench matcaps can now be multilayer OpenEXR images with separate diffuse and specular layers. The layer named diffuse will be affected by material, texture or random colors, while specular will not. ( Jeroen Bakker )

Projects Under Development

• Cycles Optix is almost ready to be merged as an experimental feature. It’s only waiting to resolve a license issue so it can be built without having to install the Optix SDK. ( Patrick Mours, Brecht Van Lommel )
  • Buildbot is being worked on, to support building official releases and arbitrary branches. ( Brecht Van Lommel )
  • Release Cycle page was updated with more details on each Bcon phase and branching.

Weekly Progress Reports

12 Likes

All is quiet on the Edit mode performance front :frowning:

(Yay for batch rename though! :smiley: )

(Also, that’s a really long report. Stuff is getting done! Not the important stuff, but stuff nonetheless. Nice to see constraints being worked on again!)

1 Like

they are probably focusing on the undo system and it’s taking core devs time to fix it along other things they have to do, edit mode performance might not come to 2.81 at all.

This is how it starts…

…or how it ends… :wink:

1 Like

We are currently into first phase of release cycle when developers are adding new features.
In 2 weeks, it will be second phase about stabilizing and bugfixes for 2.81 release.
So, performance improvements are more likely to happen into a bugfixing phase , after a feature freeze, than during expansion phase of features.

That’s rather dubious. Performance is not a quick bugfix. As I understand it, a comprehensive and multi-pronged plan of action is required to make Edit mode satisfactory for the foreseeable future, with next gen realtime assets getting into million poly territory. I do not mind 2.81 or 2.82 not getting significant improvements. I do mind the deafening silence on the topic.

4 Likes

The BF developers are turning into my BFFs. :slightly_smiling_face: I think the amount of work that is done lately deserves a :clap:. I don’t even know where to start trying out all the new stuff. The native batch renamer alone is already making me very happy.

3 Likes

In that case, why being anxious about silence ?
They will share something about performance improvements when they will have something serious to share.
If it requires months of work, they could stay silent about the topic during months.

I think that they will attempt to make a proposal or solve something before Blender Conference.
If they don’t, people will question them during the conference.

I don’t think that making pressure on them, now, will change anything.

4 Likes

Wait, what about OpenVDB remesh modifier?

1 Like

Here…

Maybe there’s stuff being done behind the scenes. I don’t know. But that would be weird, as not much of anything Blender related is done in secret. Usually you see at least some discussion of topics that are being worked on by the devs. On performance - nothing. And it’s not like it’s some kind of insignificant nice-to-have thing for the future. Performance is the lifeblood of any DCC package.

I think that there is nothing done behind the scenes, now. But I think that will happen in 2 weeks.
That is probably easier to discuss that subject when attention of every dev is focused on bugfixing.

From my point of view, there will be reason to worry if we are still perceiving no movement in 3 or 4 weeks.

and it seems they have also changed the release cycles, there will be two branches so master won’t be frozen during that phase.
https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Process/Release_Cycle

If you look at the dates, in practice, there is one month of freeze.
And then, during last month, devs, that have lots of bugfixing to do, will probably do only bugfixing ; and devs, that will have rapidly fix all things that they could, will start to work on 2.82.

All devs don’t have same knowledge, are not contributing to all modules, don’t have same planning.
Some, that have seen their targets postponed, may have less bugfixing to do during October and a big task for 2.82.
So, that is not a bad thing to have that flexibility after the freeze. That will probably avoid to postponed same big target several times.

Bcon2 looks like a phase where all devs would be inclined to look at performance issues.

The guy who worked on the GSoC project told me it was not on the radar to have batch naming several weeks ago. I am very pleasantly surprised that we actually got this feature added so soon. I too am very happy! :smiley:

1 Like

Does that include all the brushes/tools and other performance improvements done in the sculpt branch thus far? If so, I am moving over to 2.81 asap! :smile: