Diesel Electric Locomotive

@xhenier Gracias, I guess. :smile:
@Andrew_Ray Thank you. :slight_smile:

Expand to see my answer, turned out a little longer :)

Actually I never used Blender for complex texturing tasks, fiddling with nodes and growing node trees was never a fun task for me. So I cant really answer if it sped up my workflow, becauseI had none before. Finding out how this all works together was one of the targets of this project.
In my first project with a little bit more complex texturing, I used Quixels NDO and DDO, which was painfully slow, and crashing all the time. This was the reason I moved to Substance Painter and I don’t regret it so far.

Can you do this kind of texturing in blender? Sure!
…BUT…

• building the masks an setting everything up as you want it, is a matter of minutes in Painter. I dont want to imagine how long it would have taken me to learn how to set up the nodes to achieve the same result. Would be way too technical for me…
  • making changes afterwards in Painter is a Drag-Drop job most of the time, in blender you would probably have to rearrange a ton of nodes depending on the change.
  • if you don’t already have grunge masks, brush alphas, textures etc you will have to gather suitable ones for your project first, whereas Painter already had everything I needed for my project.

I think the quality of you complex texturing work can and will benefit from using a dedicated texturing software (wheter it is 3DCoat, Mari, DDO, Painter). Not So much because you cant achieve the same quality in Blender, but because you can just focus on the texturing part, no need for setting up anything. Not saying blender is bad, it is just not the way I have fun working, and this is what it is all about for me, since its a hobby :wink:

Just start a trial and test it yourself, I used this tutorial to learn the basics :slight_smile:

And yes, I am also having Quixel on my radar, I actually wanted to wait for them to release their succesor of DDO, but it took them too long and so I decided to go for Painter in the meantime.

If you want to chat further, just PM me :slight_smile:

2 Likes