Discourse updated to 2.9.0beta11 - new sidebar!

Hey, first of all. Love the new Discourse updates such as with individual notification icons. However, regarding the new sidebar: do we really need it? I’m aware that most of its content was originally from the dropdown that use to be at the right of the navbar.

BA respectfully already has very little boundary space as it is (check the empty/blank space to the far left and far right in the screenshot). I’m not sure about everyone else, but I think it may be “taking” valuable UI space.

Not to mention it’s a bit distracting to look at: I am fully aware you can collapse it, but still, it’s not selection for taking up UI space in my opinion. Disclaimer, I am aware that I can implement custom CSS to remove the empty/blank boundaries, like @ josephhansen has shared several times in the past. But that’s not the best approach to me. You don’t get rid of a problem by hiding it: you get rid of it by removing it.

The notification center is a mess now
it’s giving me old notification from 2019!
i can’t see what’s new from what’s old anymore :frowning:

1 Like

I found that dismissing each tab fixed that. It’s annoying for sure.

3 Likes

Ah that fixed it, thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I really like this update!

2 Likes

Actually, for me, it’s not taking up any valuable space. It’s using empty space that was there for nothing.
I still could have 2 more bars like that.

4 Likes

I like it, simply because it gives me a perpetual overview of the forum at a casual glance. It might even provide an impetus to explore more of the forum, considering I usually just bounce around between my notifications. and whatever I catch on the landing page,

4 Likes

In my case pressing the Dismiss button once didnt delete everything, but just the old stuff that was mixed inbetween since the update. Not what I expected but exactly what I wanted.

I wish it would always be like this… :joy:

1 Like

Another bug? with this update: Can’t click the pin icon to unpin a post anymore from Latest. You have to go into the topic and change it at the bottom.

How do I get the old "unread’ behaviour?

Ther are like 5 threads I check daily and clicking “unread” somewhere in the old header would show me just those. Clicking Everything 5 unread in the sidebar shows me all the threads.

You want this link to see the Unread threads you’re tracking with new posts:

https://blenderartists.org/unread

You want this link to see all the threads you’re tracking:

https://blenderartists.org/latest?state=tracking

3 Likes

Slight bug: I’m getting old notifications again.
Screenshot from 2022-11-02 20-28-55
There was also a notification to an old reply to a thread (from 2019) but it disappeared.

2 Likes

Yeah, me too, refresh the page or visit a new post and it usually clears. The notifications are definitely a rough patch, I think they should have held off a bit longer until they did some bug fixing, but oh well

1 Like

Is it just me, or does thread loading seem much slower? Every time I click a thread link, for instance from a thread category, I have to wait several seconds. Loading times weren’t this high previously, at least for me.

2 Likes

Slow on threads here too, as well as wierd notifications Ive had ages ago reappearing.

This update is three months old, any issues with this version are no longer applicable, there have been updates since

(posts moved to the new update topic) Yeah, there’s definitely some slowness going on - I noticed this too and reported it to Discourse yesterday:

Notification icons seem to be broken or (if intentional) significantly less informative:

As you can tell, the reply and the thread updates have the same icon as the new topics (Which I get because I’m subscribed to the GN tag. This is the solution I was offered instead of a GN subforum ;))
How it looked before:

I had the same issue in Chrome (Version 107.0.5304.87 (Official Build) (x86_64)) on Mac, but it ended up being a scroll bar customizer plugin I had installed (can’t stand those super-thin scrollbars).

Once I disabled it I could scroll again.

1 Like

I couldn’t use the website after the update. No scrolling, no clicking, nothing. Same thing happend when the Krita artist forum updated discourse. I thought it was just a bug in vivaldi browser on windows, because it worked in FF and chrome and vivaldi linux. Turns out it was just a plugin (that forced youtube to play best quality regardless of bandwidth) that seemed to clash with it. Just in case somebody is having the same problem.