Displacement map from Zbrush not showing details on skin

Hello! I have a model that I sculpted and edited details in Zbrush…

I exported the displacement map straight from Zbrush but when I try placing it in Blender, the results are kinda strange. In the material preview it’s all exploded but on the model itself, it’s barely there.
I’ve turned on Displacement+Bump, and my model already has a subsurf adaptive modifier. Now sure what else I’m missing…

1 Like

Is the model the same scale aka applied? Is that a Udim texture? If so try regular image. Does it work with a regular subd modifier? I dont really see the need for adaptive on a single char anyway.

I havent touched the scale so I assume so! And yes it’s UDIM. Yeah I turned off adaptive and pushed subd to level 3 and there still weren’t much changes in the result.

You need the sub d on same level as in the highest level that was used in Zbrush. Map should be Exr but it says so in Zbrush already… Maybe try principled shader to get glossy. Maybe it is all fine but just barely visible without abglossy component?

Still check if the scale in blender is 1. You can apply all transforms with ctrl plus a.

Hmm tried with principled shader with low roughness but it’s just smooth too. Checked scale too, all at 1!

Definitely apply scale, just to be safe,

Also, on the materials panel, scroll down, and make sure under displacement, it’s set to Bump and Displacement.

Mess with the strength value too. It might be too high.

Check your midlevel aswell, try setting it to 0. For some reason, a midlevel of .5 (which seems to be the norm) is actually 0 in Blender - which I found out myself a few weeks ago when using displacement.

Also, you shoudn’t need to use the adaptive subdiv. Displacement should work without it. Perhaps turn that off aswell, and try it without.

Also, as suggested, use the principled shader, and add put the roughness down a bit. That will definitely help it display better.

Applied scale and made sure the bump n displacement are clicked. haha midlevel zero gave a very fat result lol

1 Like

How big is your model? Is it real world scale?

Yes I believe so, it looks about right when beside blender’s default 2m cube measurements.

Ahh ok. Try dropping the strength waaaay down. Like, 0.01 value.

Then no details appear ):

if you have matching scale in Zbrush and Blender, you should not have to touch scale or strength at all if you’re exporting a 32bit displacement map. Basically, a “regular” displacement map has normalized values between a range (say -1 and 1) so it doesn’t “know” how far it needs to displace. A 32bit displacement map is “exact”, it has full value range so it should not need any adjustments to strength.

You’ve set it to non-color… does raw make any difference?

This is how my displacement map looks, does it look like it’s supposed to?

Changing it to raw didnt make a difference.

I haven’t got a ZB sub in a while but I think I got it working using these settings (this was a looong while ago). https://www.cggallery.com/tutorials/displacement/ - I think you want at least midlevel set to 0 when exporting a 32bit displacement map. Again, 32bit displacement maps are kinda different from “regular” ones. Try the settings there when exporting.

Looks like it’s only exported one channel of the map. There is no tertiary or micro by the looks of it. That said, you should still be getting some displacement

it’s worth realizing that some of it may not really show up if you just open the file. 32 bits is not really “parseable” the same way as normal files so most image editors etc. won’t really show much difference there (or may just show a black image).

Hmm I tried exporting the disp with midlevel zero in zbrush, brought it over to blender and still no diff with blender mid level set to zero

frightening results and mid level .5 hahaha

1 Like

Looks like you’re getting somewhere. This happened to me a few weeks back too:

Almost identical lol

hahaha also frightening. im annoyed that the texture is showing fine-ish in material preview but absolutely nothing in viewport (or render, i tried)