Do you believe that aliens exist?

I do think that there was something in the newspaper about projecting a big screen or something, to enable any aliens to know about our whereabouts…I don’t know whether they’re doing it or they’ve already done it, though.

Also, there is this thing; how would you define ‘Life’? Is it a body which lives off oxygen and water etc.,etc.? How do you know that they aren’t totally differnt ‘life’ forms, which need to be constantly stuck against earth or something (just an example)? What if they don’t react to light, sound, touch, etc., and have five other senses instead? This is a very intriguing question… I’ve always wanted to know…

I thought it had something to do with metabolism. In order for something to be considered life it must be capable of forming and breaking down molecules on it’s own.

Oh, that’s it? Are you sure Sandrew? I suppose that could explain it… How about if there was a machine that could do something like that?

Unless that machine is made by something/someone that would be life yes.

edit; (and by it being a machine it’s automatically made by someone).

Well, I just thought about it, and I’m like, why should we limit life to things that can break down molecules on their own? I mean, suppose it couldn’t do that, but it could converse with ‘life’ forms simillar to itself, we would definitely call it life, wouldn’t we?

PapaSmurf always has a good view on these things. :no:

It makes sense though, i guess one explanation for why we haven’t got visitors could be that we just haven’t been found yet. Again, because space is so vast, even with faster than light travel theres a huge amount of to explore. So there probubly is interactions between different species going on somewhere (perhaps near the centre of galaxys, where stars are more clustered?), we just havent got involved yet.

That last line is kinda scary as well. :eyebrowlift2:

For something to be able to communicate it’ll need energy. In order to get that energy it would have to break down molecules (glucose in our case) so it can use that energy in a process.

@Sandrew:

See, that’s exactly what I’m taling about! Maybe the alien, excuse me, ‘life’ form, doesn’t need energy, and can function using, I dunno, a pair of datidomes which enable them to converse? How do we know that every thing needs energy? Even if they do, then why would it have to break down molecules? Maybe it can absorb the energy right from the sun, without having to break down molecules! I’m still not so sure though…

Everything needs energy. Nothing can be done without losing some energy. A rock that falls loses gravitational energy for example. For something to communicate it’ll have to move air, make a gesture or (in possible alien cases) emit radio signals.

Direct absorbtion of energy is pretty impossible as far as I know. In order to utilise energy it’ll have to be ‘caught’ first. For example, a tree utilizes the sun to create glucose molecules, these molecules are then broken down to produce ATP (energy) for the cell to use. The remaining glucose is then used to fuel the cells that can’t produce their own glucose or growth.

One would presume it has teeth and an arsehole and if it cant eat something it will want to screw it. but then again we’ve no idea how the circle of life is sustained in the other worlds but still facinating. The worm hole concept is something stephen hawkings has been babbleing on about - thats one possibility how we could make contact woth other life form! But screw you guys but i aint goin in first!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, but that has been only formulated using human experience. However, we have not ventured far enough in the universe to know all. Maybe this case is true for our galaxy/universe/ whatever… All i’m saying is that we can only know so much…

P.S. I saw a documentary on how the univers is shrinking… How could that be possible? If that is true, then what lies outside the ‘shrinking’ universe? Also, are there multiple universe’s’?

yeh hawking was going on about parallel universes etc - all too wierd for me but he explains it real well in ‘the universe in a nutshell’. Suppposed to be easy reading!! ha

in anyways yeh shrinking and expanding. I also heard that one day the universe will actually die. All light will fade and the universe will be just a lifeless balckness! But they also say it will shrink to infinity too - so… yeh

Well, you haven’t answered my question… I mean, that was insightful, but what lies beyond the limits of the universe? I mean, if it’s shrinking, then does that mean that there will be a brick wall right outside?

In biology, they told us that life was defined by:
Respiration, Digestion, Growth, Reproduction, and a few others.
I think there were 7 processes in all that an organism would need in order to be considered alive.

All in all, it’s just a word.
It has the limitations we choose to give it.
I believe there are many states of life,
In many ways, everything is alive.
In other ways, nothing is.

As long as we stick to this conception of life, we have not found it outside earth.
If we consider that a rock is alive (it’s made from the same energy as everything else)
Then we have encountered it on nearly every planet we’ve seen.

Whatever we call life, the goal is discovery
And I am certain we will always discover more mystery than we can ever solve.
(No matter how many blenderheads there are to solve it.)
And we will never know whether it is truly alive. :stuck_out_tongue:

Last time I heard anything about it the universe was still expanding at the speed of light. Do’nt know actually, haven’t really looked into that. And so far there are only theories about what lies outside this universe. I once read something about a ‘cosmic landscape’ where the location of a universe in that landscape determines it’s properties. It sounded a bit like bullshit but I’m sure the guy who came up with it had a good reason for it.

Originally Posted by Sandrew
I once read something about a ‘cosmic landscape’ where the location of a universe in that landscape determines it’s properties. It sounded a bit like bullshit but I’m sure the guy who came up with it had a good reason for it.

Einstein’s theories.
Basically the cosmic fabric is a 3-dimensional landscape of constant flux, and all matter is built onto it.
According to relativity, basic things like gravity and space are directly affected (shaped?) by each object’s position relative to each other object, and also by its position in the cosmos.
Yet the speed of light in vacuum itself remains constant, regardless.

Therefore, each universe (or galaxy, or whatever) would operate under different measurements and proportions. Possibly even their relationships (physical laws) would be altered, creating a universe entirely alien to ours.
Pun not intended.

The guy did indeed have a good reason, and 20 years of research.

His theories led to the discovery that matter is created from energy, and thus the Quantum Theory and Atomic Theory; which have both had serious ramifications for mankind.

well said.

Our perception and experience is so limited that I believe it’s unlikely we’d understand or even be able to detect alien life if it came a-calling.

If one of our satellites ever do find evidence of intelligent life, who’s to say that it would still be around to greet us?

This conversation brings to mind Forever War…

My favorite book.

Wiki claims the conventional definition of life is a system which has homeostasis, organization, metabolism, growth, adaptation, response to stimuli, and reproduction.

I believe other life exists, and I agree with the notion that intelligence isn’t necessarily a positive trait, and so may not be evolved as regularly as it has been here. However, given the vast number of life sustaining systems that could exist, I think intelligence is likely to have come up elsewhere.

-Laurifer

Or maybe the “life” “forms” can live of of there own natural sugars (also know as gloucus)and don’t need anything to make there natural stuff and 100 years to them are like nothing!!!

(I’m not joking!)

There is some guy with a nobel prize who’s theory is that some of the elements in far off space cannae be processed naturally but by bacteria of some sort.