Does anyone have a working ATI OpenGL driver DLL?

If I put the old open gl dirver in the same directory blender wont even open, It crashes at startup. I am using the newest blender, v2.4

i have been using a radeon x300 for w while now with the factry installed drivers, with no modifications and i have not had any problems.

I have ati 200m express on a notebook amd 64 turion.

blender 2.4

Problems

• slow to draw interface (3d fine)
  • try draging a box select (b then click drag) very slow
  • putting atiogxx.dll in blender folder, blender crash on start
  • open gl options of all configurations did not fix (force 16, 24,disable trilinear)
  • switch to 16 bit color only slightly helped not fix

Solutions

• turn graphics acceleration to 2 notch from left, then my box select work fine. gui update draw good, however you watch menus slowly disapear. not good solution.
  • I was in the middle of switching drivers so I had none installed and the atiogxx.dll trick worked. I used catalyst 3.9 drivers from a link here, expanded the dll and put it in folder. Blender worked like dream. This of course is not great solution either.

Conclusion

• While having new ati drivers (or omega) there is a conflict with using the old open gl driver trick. Blender crash on start.
  • Has anyone able to get this to work or found why these problems occure on the ati cards?
    -Is there a way to temporary disable other drivers so old open gl driver in folder trick works?
    -I have not tried registry methods. Has that worked for anyone?

https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58414&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Ok guys Check this out. I tried it and it worked great. ati 200m express with fast blender again. awesome.

O GURUS,
I JUST GOT A NEW SYSTEM…AMD3200+, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA ON BOARD GRAPHICS CARD, WINDOWS XP…3DMAX TRIAL VERSION WORKING FINE BUT BLENDER DOESN’T DISPLAY THE GRID, TEXT, CURSORS, CAMERAS LIGHTS ETC…WHAT IS THE PROBLEM??
CHELA69

I dunno if this is old but i have a “start.bat” in my blender-dir containing the following:

rename c:\windows\system32\atioglxx.dll _atioglxx.dll
blender.exe
rename c:\windows\system32_atioglxx.dll atioglxx.dll

and this seem to work with me laptops ati radeon mobility 200m graphic-card something something. This appears to transcend any driver version [ogl words included]

Blender runs very fast… ultramegasuperhiperthanks!!! I have:
a notebook amd 64 turion
ati 200m express on

also i find and condense here a some information for other solutions (not tried):frowning:

post from 2006:
For me, the atioglxx.dll method from catalyst 3.9 doesn’t works, Blender immediately crash, so i had an idea… I tried to get the nvidia openGL driver from 53.03 (nvoglnt.dll) rename it to atioglxx.dll and put it in blender directory, and surprise! Blender runs very fast like in my old computer

a posible place for download the driver nvoglnt.dll maybe renamed

http://home.arcor.de/kobalt2k3/atioglxx.zip

another post:
I figured out how to fix the performance issue I was having. I had triple buffering enabled on my graphics card options. I disabled the triple buffering for opengl and now it works great! Woohoo! (forgotten URL, lost but look for by the text in any searchengine)

other post recomended use “omegadrivers”. (forgotten URL, lost but look for by the text in any searchengine)

recomendation from wikibook blender
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Troubleshooting
this is the text:

ATI Radeon Slowdown Problems
Go the the ATI site driver downloads section and select the appropriate OS/graphic card. This will (most likely) link you to the d/l for the current Catalyst 4.4 drivers.
At the bottom of that page is a link to “Previous driver versions”.
D/L the Catalyst 3.7 driver package. Run the EXE and it will extract the driver install package to:
C:\ATI\SUPPORT
In this directory will be a directory named (for XP/Win2K users: \wxp-w2k-7-93-030812a1-010735c-efg
This is where the driver install package is located. DO NOT RUN THE SETUP. You don’t need to install the old driver.
Navigate down thru the dir structure to the following dir: C:\ATI\SUPPORT\wxp-w2k-7-93-030812a1-010735c-efg\2KXP_INF\B_10679
In this dir you’ll find a file called: atioglxx.dl_ This is a “packed” version of the ATI OGL driver.
The next step specifies how you can extract these files to your hard disk using the ‘expand.exe’ utility included on the cd.
The ‘I386’ folder on the Windows XP CD contains a utility ‘expand.exe’ that can be used to uncompress all compressed dll files. It is a commandline utility, so you have will have to run it from either the command prompt or the Run dialog. Some examples of its usage are:
expand X:\I386\ADROT.DL_ C:\ADROT.DLL The above command decompresses the compressed DLL ADROT.DL_ on the WinXP CD, copies it to C:, and changes the extension to .DLL .
Just extract that file (atioglxx.dll) to your Blender install directory. Usually C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender
Launch Blender… no more slowdown.

sorry for my english

bye.:smiley:

Blender works just great on an ATI Radeon Xpress 300. But not on an ATI Radeon Xpress 200!

Found the solution for ATI Radeon Xpress 200 card in these forums:

See http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread?t=56932 for instructions and get the NVidia driver from http://files.filefront.com/W2k+618zi.../fileinfo.html. Copy nvoglnt.dll to your blender folder and rename it to atioglxx.dll as instructed. It works! Viva NVidia’s programmers that knows how to write drivers!

Finally! I can blend! And in 1280x1024x24 rez too! It’s blindingly fast! My blender woes are over!

Help…:frowning:

Blender has always worked for me, no speed problems, none.
Until, (I haven’t used it for a few months) I decided to use it (finally read the manual).

–Problem–
EVERYTHING is VERY small, and barely usable. I click on a menu and it appears in the middle of the screen. Lowering/raising screen resolution didn’t help.

I have recently installed an ATI Radeon 9250 (256mb), but that doesn’t seem likely.
I have run the ATI chip on my computer smoothly before, but uninstalled it due to problems.
I then reinstalled it a month ago (without problems), and now… :no:
:evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
Is it my graphics card, will this atioglxx.dll trick fix this?

It does NOT run slow. I am using the same driver and catalyst version as before.
I’m going in circles. :spin:

Try it. It’s just putting a file into your blender dir, reverting is just deleting that file.

There are a lot of people who had different problems with ATI cards (not just slow, but blurry interface also), there are others for whom it worked without problems. It certainly depends on the specific os, driver and card version, so it looks like there is no easy yes or no whether it works.

This has helped quite a bit. I dreaded not using Blender on my laptop, but now I can. Thanks!

Curious… is the Blender ATI problem only existant on Windows? Does it have the same problems on Linux and OS X?

Try following:

1. Start regedit (Start->Run-> and write “regedit”)
  2. Find key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\OpenGLDrivers\ati2dvag”
  3. Change DLL value from “atioglxx.dll” to “atioglx2.dll”

It seems like that ATI driver update installs wrong OpenGL driver for (9800/X800/?) AGP cards. Changing registry value solves this problem.

This solution is coming from: OpenGL programs will not start by “tcowher”

I assume this is about blender running at optimum pace at start up but gradually slows to an unacceptable speed within a matter of seconds. I do not understand the solution you provided if it is indeed the case relating to my problem.

Hi,
after updating to latest Catalyst drivers (released 20.12.2007) for ATI FireGL 3100 i’m not having anymore slowdowns in Blender (winxpsp2).
Can somebody try it too and confirm that?

Which is the best Atio9xxx.dll for Win ME? 4.13.10.3259 (in Blender folder) displays correctly but is slow in a fullscreen window (especially in edit mode) and in Game Engine (I could type faster). Radeon 9700 Pro…Blender 2.41
Can’t live without Blender

You are experiencing the exact problem as I am. I am curious as to if you have found a solution yet?

I’m using a Radeon 9800XT, without a atioglxx.dll in my blender dir, blender won’t even start. Suffering from slow menus and changing atioglxx.dll won’t solve this, tried many. Any idea?

Hey everyone, I have a problem but I’m a little tech-retarded.
I have this thing on my computer “ATI Hydravision”, which is probably slowing my Blender down… what should I do about this? Is there something I can download to fix this?

I am having what seems to be a different problem than the one mentioned befor, I.e. the program slowing down after a while.

my problem seems to have popped up after blender 2.44

most of the time the program runs ok, but any time i try to use a background image, for example using a referance image in 3d view, or in the UV editor i get incredibly slow and sketchy performance. i’ll try to move some vertices and it will lag for about 20 seconds or more and then show them move, same thing when working on the UV Map locations. I never had this problem befor 2.44, but about the same time as I upgraded to 2.44 i also got a new video card and a new widescreen LCD monitor.

the problem did not go away when i went to 2.45

so i don’t know if im having a compatability issue with newer versions of blender or if my new card is the problem or if it’s just me running at a much higher screen resolution than i used to and my admittedly outdated computer can’t keep up. or if it’s a combination of all three.

I run an :rolleyes:Emachines T2890 with a 2.66 Ghz celeron D processor and 1 Gb of ram with my ATI radeon x1550. running windowsXP

I went from an ATI Radeon 9250 which i never noticed any problems on, to an ATI radeon x1550 because i needed the pixel shaders for games and stuff, and other than blender i’ve had little if any problems with it.
i went from a normal monitor to a 19 inch wide screen flat panel LCD monitor at 1440x900 resolution.

any ideas, aside from breaking down and buying a new computer which i can’t afford right now?