Donuts are bad for my health

Hi,

I’ve decided to backtrack and go through the Blender Guru Donut tutorials. I’m struggling with a few points here and there. Obviously I’m trying to find out the issue by myself but some things I’m really stuck on so I hope no one minds helping me in here from time to time.

I’m using 3.6

Part 4 - Modelling
When I try to pull the icing down by selecting a vertex and using G to move, I’m getting the clipping issue. I’ve read over lots of comments and tried using different snap methods and changing the thickness of the icing but it’s still clipping.

To be clearer, the bottom edge of the icing that I am moving down is ok, but the icing above that is not. The vertices above the one I moved will disappear.

I have Face Nearest selected with Snap To Same Target.

Also, I can see a strange crinkly edge running around my icing object.

I’ve tried this from the start so many times now I’m going a bit (dough)nuts. I’ll upload a screen shot and the file shortly.

Blender Guru Doughnut part 4.blend (1013.3 KB)

The clipping is to be expected since the shape of the doughnut and icing isn’t exactly the same. It’s not a problem though, the clipping is expected, it looks correct in object mode and is only really an issue if it also clips through the solidify modifier.

You can activate these two settings to see what the icing actually looks like:

2 Likes

Ok, thanks! I thought I was making a mess of it. Ultimately, if I go over this ten times it won’t be a bad thing I suppose.

Attached is a step-by-step modeling of Donut Lecture 4.

Blender Guru Doughnut part 4_X.blend (1.3 MB)

The video lecture will be played from the snap .
And I also set the snap in the attached file.

You can check the settings while watching the video.

※ If you don’t focus on the lecture, you won’t see the important parts. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That’s odd, you have Face Project selected. In my file I have Face Project selected or it won’t work.

What does it mean by ‘it won’t work’? :thinking:
Is it not attached to the surface or is the function not working?

Face Project surface attachment only attaches the selected vertices and follows the rest.

After all this is done, the Shrinkwrap modifier will be used to attachment the vertices to the surface and clean them up.

This part is at the end of the video. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

When I say “it won’t work” I mean I am having the following issues. Sometimes when I try to pull the icing down it will not attach to the donut underneath it (and points out at a funny angle). Or, it dips underneath the surface of the donut. Or, it looks ok but then I see that something strange has happened to the centre of the donut because somehow I also had some vertices selected (even though x-ray was not enabled).

At my level of understanding it’s difficult to know when something is ok or not ok, but I will carry on and repeat these tutorials a few times. I appreciate everyone’s help here!

If the function that works normally does not work, try initializing the blender. (It worked fine on my blender.)

※ Back up your previous settings before initializing.

And you don’t have to be too perfect.
Use Shrinkwrap to attach the vertices to the adjacent surface. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Share your blend file we’ll take a look

EDIT: nevermind :smiley:

Honestly icing is as good as it’s gonna get. I think you’re concentrating on the fact that it is clipping when modifiers are turned off, but that’s the whole point of modifiers to fix those things.

Without modifiers it is clipping, because base geometry is too low. You have too few faces and vertices, so when 1 point is snapping to 1 face, and second point to 2 face, everything in the middle goes inside donut because there are no more vertices in the middle.

And that’s why you’re using modifiers. They create more geometry in the middle and it curves around donut instead of going inside it.

There are other methods of doing this too without snapping, for example Shrinkwrap modifier before solidify, set to Outside and target object as donut. That gives you offset value you can work with

1 Like

Thank you, that’s a great explanation. I’m looking for some kind of perfection when I have so little experience to go on… You guys are great giving me all this help.

Thanks!

1 Like

Ok, so I see one of my issues here and want to check with you guys to see if this is a bug or if it’s my mistake.

If I am in Front Orthographic view and select 1 vertex, it actually selects the vertex on the back side and several in the middle. I am not in x-ray mode. This issue doesn’t seem to happen if I am in perspective mode.

EDIT - it does happen when in perspective mode as well. It seems random but vertices are sometimes being selected as if I am in x-ray mode.

Selecting 2 vertices at the front results in many being selected in the middle and 1 at the rear.

It’s a problem I’ve never experienced :thinking: It might be in my memory…

One thing I suspect is that the object you have created is too small.
I wonder if that’s what made the view less precise.

Get the object 20 times bigger and reset the scale

We don’t know if this will solve this problem. :slightly_smiling_face:

It still happens after scaling it bigger. Also, it was the same size as the tutorial version, so not especially small. I tried turning on/off the GPU Depth Picking in the viewport preferences. Didn’t help.

There is a thread here that seems to describe the same issue - Blender is selecting vertices from behind WITHOUT XRAY

It doesn’t does happen in the project that you uploaded. I will start a new project and try again to see what happens.

EDIT - I started a new project and this issue only seems to happen after adding the Solidify modifier.

I also found this link where someone had the same issue, but I don’t really understand the reply they got - https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/08Kv/?sorting=hot

I am selecting vertices using the box select, but I also tried it with the paint tool (or whatever that is called when you press C).

Here is my most recent attempt -
Blender Guru Donut 001.blend (944.3 KB)

There is no problem with the file you uploaded this time.

※ It has been updated to the official version of blender 3.6.3 today.

The version used for the test is blender 3.6.3 and is a Zip compressed file. (Not install version)

Which GPU do you use

I have a laptop version NVIDIA RTX 3070 TI 8GB

In the GeForce app it shows the driver as 517.40 (studio driver). This is not the most recent driver because if I remember correctly, when I updated the driver last year I started having issues with After Effects. Someone on the Adobe forum recommended the above driver to be the best one at the time.

Do you think there is a better driver for my situation?

I will try the latest version of Blender 3.6.3

The estimation problem that can be found in search is related to graphics cards, and it appears to be a problem with Opengl. (see link)

The contents of the link are old, so I don’t think it’s a solution.

You might want to reinstall or update your graphics driver.

※ It is recommended to install after complete reload.

I have only just realised this, but at 9:12 in the video he actually mentions the issue that I’m having and suggests it’s a bug. He’s using 3.0. He mentions it again at 11:15. It seems to be happening much worse with me.

I will try the latest version of Blender 3.6.3. If that doesn’t change it, I will try updating to the latest studio driver.

edit - still happening with 3.6.3 and with my driver updated to studio 537.42. Clearly not a Donut related issue so I will stop going on about it in this thread :rofl:

1 Like

Back to the Donut, part 4, 7:44 he’s applied the Subdivision modifier and the icing layer clips under the Donut so that you can’t see your vetices. He says it’s another bug and he randomly clicks on it to get them back. For me though, it’s not coming back. I can’t click on the lower edge vertex and so can’t continue to make the dripping icing.

Blender Guru Donut 002.blend (1.6 MB)