Draise - Sketchbook

I’ve been doing Grease Pencil drawings and practices. This is todays one. I’m currently on day 120 - but I may post more as I go along.

I’ve been trying out gesture, figure drawing, reference practice and 3D drawings with the Grease Pencil and Bforartists.

Day 120

You can see him in 3D here:

Day 117

Day 114

17 Likes

Nice work, I really love how much emotion you’ve managed to put into the frogs with such simple shapes!

5 Likes

very nice … to add to what @joseph said, i really like the shading on the skelly parts, it’s simple but very effective. the 3d part is something i’ve never seen before, but like (i’m still pretty new to blender, and haven’t even started to dig into the grease pencil … i’m still futzin’ with geo-nodes. lol)

3 Likes

This is a throwback to my practice of Day 111. These I did in the car on an Ipad, so not quite in Bforaritsts or Blender, but I wanted to try practice some anatomy studies and ideas.

6 Likes

Day 125

Been getting back to connecting with afriend to do gesture studies. I need to improve my flow a lot more.

Day 124

Day 123

I also got into some heads with some friends. I loved this, my favorite head and face is here.

Day 122

I also managed to get some love into some anatomy studies, trying to get better at this. I have enjoyed using controlnets with local stability difussion to generate things - but drawing a scaffold to drive it is the way to go.

The day also didn’t stop there, I also did this cool little Grease Pencil character.

With these guys as a practice.

I wonder how well this will be received, but I had fun using my drawing input that I drew in undre 3 minutes each to get a bunch of pieces with a lot more colour and polish, ei… render.

Discord_hGgaQG48HZ
Discord_3C4qrTLYYv

So… fun little exercise. I feel more motivated to draw knowing I can push it at the end with image gen - which may be a controversial topic since I know it has demotivated a lot of 2D Artists, while I’m the opposite, I’m more motivated due to ti. I haven’t paid too much to this forum and it’s general stance on image gen, but maybe most could be not welcoming to the toolset? Still gotta try it in Blender with the addons out there.

9 Likes

Dang dude, you’re putting me to shame with your dozens of figure studies a day, and I thought I was doing great with one a day :wink: Jokes aside, there’s some really beautiful, dynamic, work here. How long have you been drawing?

3 Likes

Being day 125, the most recent… I started, I think, around October or November last year, doing 30-60 minutes a day - with some off days. I can’t say I’m the most diligent this year… so… slow progress. I have to fit it in between work, but the gesture has a study buddy I connect with every day for 30 minutes, before lunch - and twice a week I have another 1 hour session with some other discord friends in Punto Blend.

I sometimes study once a week on something focused - but ultimately, has to fit in between work.

7 Likes

Got a few more days in, with some lip anatomy studies.

6 Likes

More gesture and drawing practices with a bit more… and one value study!

6 Likes

Continuing with Gesture, with less time, and more work on trying to get… curves. I need to study more technique, feel like I’m practicing bad technique… I need like… a bit more time with it all in the day. I can’t help but feel this drawing to be very frustratingly slow to get good…

But with some 3D, I can squeeze a bit more.

5 Likes

With a timelapse of froggo, all done in 30 minutes.

2 Likes

Todays gesture and beauty drawing, all in grease pencil - I’m digging it.

This is also a beauty piece from reference, 30 minutes.

7 Likes

Did another 30 minute piece, with a sculpt behind it. I also added jitter to the mesh, kinda fits!

Did some baby tests too, geometric studies.

And more gesture. I couldn’t… feel it with this one… was trying a new technique. I need more theory and ideas… Watching others may be how to learn.

4 Likes

I’ve slowed my pace down quite a bit, mostly sticking to GP beauty pieces and reference practice - but I do want to know more.

I recently got kinda demotivated, drawing is such a long slog to learn - I fell I pick up 3D much quicker.

5 Likes

I love how nuanced your facial anatomy is, it creates convincing depth and very distinct expressions!

1 Like

Trying to get back to it!

4 Likes

Still learning! I’m trying to study heads and faces a lot more, I would love to be able to work them well soon.

1 Like

Been a while since an update! I have slowed my pace, but still doing it. Grease pencil, and now a fusion workflow with Krea for instant feedback and guidance while learning to draw.

This was a one hour piece for 3 heads. Loved this exercise.

The drawing to Krea workflow… I found to be a super assist to train the hand, feels like I have someone holding my hand showing me how it should be or where it’s going - so I know how well to work it. Here are some examples:

The more I draw, the more control I have of the hullicination.

Other experiments is linework cleanup:

Or… full on dreaming for ideas from basic sketches.

Has been… I will continue to use it to practice. Feels like a big speed up to learn to draw, ironic.

And still working on form. Probably will never end!

1 Like

More practices:

One of these I couldn’t finish in time, had to get to work, but it was going to be a base for a GP.

And per usual, the general gesture studies.

2 Likes

Lately I’ve been having fun drawing with an assist using Krea.ai. It really helps the hand see where to go or where it could go, or how to clean it up, in realtime. So I enjoy it. And with a mix of 3D, it has become quite a powerful conceptual system! I could technically now work on designing really great characters without needing to be super sharp in the skill of being a character designer.

Also is fun to get ides.

Drawing in Grease Pencil also allows for some fun things.

The technique is fun too help work proportions as you go too, helps see how to shade. Grease pencil is a bit hard to shade, as you have to ink strokes that already exist, and blending is impossible almost, but I still like it.

This year I have had to take some breaks from AI discourse, I unfollowed about 1500 people on Xwitter. I also left a lot of Discord threads about it. I found myself more in pro of the idea, but now it feels like talking ethics and religion. I consider the toolset a lot more like assists, tools… and that’s about it. Like this 3D sphere to help draw perspective around a head.

It’s a hot debate, but I feel more motivated to draw because of it. I have been so spoiled by 3D churning out beautiful rendered frames from any angle for you in any way… drawing is really a hard craft to master, so the assist to go from mind to reality at the stroke of the hand is… dreams come true for me…

Even simple strokes!

And it can… also come up with ideas you may have intention of, but haven’t been able to execute at all.

It’s a dance with a very creative tool.