DWG/DXF-exporter PE - release (2.6x, 2.7x, 2.8x)

(continuing my message from above)
i just find out that blender exports groups. that’s great!
but i don;t know why , when i save the .blend file (that i have put a link to) as 3ds or DAE or Obj, for some reason the green objects: sinks , tub etc, are not showing into Sketchup, where i want to import them. Do you have any clue why ?
or what should i do with the green meshes in order to transform them or something into a exporting entity.

i don’t know how 3ds/obj/dae exporters handle groups, probably not…

what about explode BLOCKs in autocad before export to DXF ?

not real solution, cause not activated yet, but there is an option in advanced configuration in DXF-importer for this: support BLOCK and menu “convert to: exploded”

The next release of CADtools will have a button for exploding selected groups. I have tested it with your blend file and it works fine. Furthermore i am working on a tool for in-place-editing of dupli-groups.

you need to convert dupli-groups in real objects, but it seems, Blender has no command for it.
I will add it to DXF-importer and send you a copy. Please contact me at migius(a)gmx.net.

i only hope cadtools will be for 2.6
i also hope that you bring in a measure tool, since the plugin from chromoly doesn’t measure correctly in 3d, and as much of the cool modeling tools that sketchup has like adding guidelines , dimensions and drawing basic cad shapes:lines in 2d with length and specific angle, and do not forget angles. The more the better.
good luck!

thanks, i will do my best :wink:
migius

will the CAD importer have also DWG import. This would be great.
i saw that Blender 2.49 has something with dwg but not be able to import any dwg really

Import and export of DWG files work with help of an extern program, which converts DWG code in DXF on-the-fly. In manual page on wiki.blender.org there are details about right configuration.
DXF scripts for Blender 2.6 will offer the same functionality.

Migius, what’s happening with the dxf/dwg import/exporter ? :frowning:

AlexDS, no news, i am still waiting for official 2.6 release of Blender.

All righty, and please adapt Cad tools for blender 2.6 asap :>

Vaclav Klecanda have started to work on DXF-exporter for 2.5x recently. He is going to transfer functionality from old 2.49 exporter script.

Wiki manual page is here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.5/Py/Scripts/Import-Export/DXF_Exporter

Please help with tests and bug reports here:
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=28469

thanks,
migius

If anyone is still following this thread, I am trying to use the DXF Exporter in Blender 2.60. It initially seems to work, producing a .dxf file of a couple of tens of kB, but when I try to import this into FreeCAAD, it appears to be empty. Any idea why? I am still finding my way in Blender and am a complete novice with FreeCAD. THanks.

Hi Bob,
have you tried to import your DXF-file into other CAD programs?
It may be an issue with FreeCAD not with DXF-exporter in Blender.
Big chance you will get some hints in FreeCAD forum.

Migius,

Thanks for the reply. Couldn’t find anything on the FreeCAD forum that looked like my problem, and I can’t start a new topic there right now (even though I’m registered. Server troubles right now?) And ideas you have are most appreciated. Thanks!

BTW, looks like you were write. SolidWorks’s free eDrawing picks it up quite nicely. Thanks!

Another question, if y’all don’t mind. In a dxf export, how does one “blender unit” translate into real-world units? One inch? One cm? One meter? One foot?

Thanks again.

DXF-exporter scripts for Blender use DXF r12 format.
DXF r12 specification doesn’t support real-world units - it means exported DXF code is units-less.
You are free to set right units in your target CAD application at importing time.

Note: DXF-exporter version for Blender 2.49 is able to rescale exported data - see “global scale”-option

Porting back the DXF-scripts from 2.49 is on hold
due to minimal feedback and missing support from users.

I wish more people were willing to participate in development costs.
There is a donate button on my project homepage www.cad4arch.com/cadtools/

> professional users <
More reliable DXF exporter in Blender will make your life easier!
Consider to sponsor this project.
I can write you an invoice for your payments on CAD-consulting basis.

thank you,
migius

Updated DXF-exporter script is moving from “contrib” to “official” for Blender 2.64!
Supporting subscribers will get the Personal Edition for 2.6x based on 2.49b script.

2.64 will have only the exporter ?